• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cyber Operator trade Mega Thread

So now that they've published a nice video complete with high fives and music, does anyone happen to know when the MES will be published (or if it's out already?)

Also, any RUMINT on if they're looking at programs besides Willis College for trg equivalence?

Any idea what locations will be hiring for the cyber operator role?  Also, how much trade training will be required as compared with other roles?

Chad.wiseman said:
Any idea what locations will be hiring for the cyber operator role?  Also, how much trade training will be required as compared with other roles?

AFAIK they're doing 16 weeks in Kingston, plus a college program in network security (~2 years?) And then there's naturally BMQ and (I imagine) element trg. For Reg Force I think it was mentioned that you'd probably get Ottawa or Kingston, not sure how they're planning for reserves

Chad.wiseman said:
The only location employing Cyber Operators for the foreseeable future will be Ottawa. The unitial trading (QL3 / DP1) will be in Kingston, upon successful completion of a 2 year college diploma (or equivalent).

You'll have to clarify what you mean by other roles. Do you mean in relation to other trades? Or specialities within Cyber?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sorcerer-tech said:
cyb2b Where did you get that information from?
Recruiting website

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/caf-jobs/career-options/fields-work/other-specialty-occupations/cyber-operator.html#entry

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sorcerer-tech said:
cyb2b Where did you get that information from?

Nuggs said:
Recruiting website
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/caf-jobs/career-options/fields-work/other-specialty-occupations/cyber-operator.html#entry

They don't get to Google until QL5.  I guess.  ;D

Edit:  I added "I guess" so that I'm not accused under the Security of Information Act.  :nod:

Journeyman said:
They don't get to Google until QL5.  I guess.  ;D

Edit:  I added "I guess" so that I'm not accused under the Security of Information Act.  :nod:

Pssh, everyone knows the really cool cyber kids will use DuckDuckGo* 8)

*Replace with Bing, if officers present

Looks like the Cyber Operator recruiting page was updated yesterday to "Now Hiring: we are now accepting applications for this job through direct entry"

Does anyone know if that's true? I thought it was staying in-house for another year or two.

I don't work in recruiting. However my current understanding (which may be rumint) is that it is currently open for pre-trained civilians with current or equivalent education (ie 2 year college diploma).

Think partial PLAR and then a delta QL3.

Edit:

actually it's listed on the recruiting site:

Now Hiring: as part of a phased approach to filling Cyber Operator positions within the CAF, we will soon accept applications from individuals who have already completed a CAF-endorsed college program (see the CAF-ACE website for information, or contact your nearest recruiting centre), who are expected to complete such a program by end May 2018, or who are in their first year of such a program.

Future Entry Plan: planning is underway to commence the hiring of candidates who meet the minimum entry standard, no later than summer of 2019. The entry standards will be published by January 2018.

Nuggs said:
I don't work in recruiting. However my current understanding (which may be rumint) is that it is currently open for pre-trained civilians with current or equivalent education (ie 2 year college diploma).

Think partial PLAR and then a delta QL3.

Edit:

actually it's listed on the recruiting site:

Now Hiring: as part of a phased approach to filling Cyber Operator positions within the CAF, we will soon accept applications from individuals who have already completed a CAF-endorsed college program (see the CAF-ACE website for information, or contact your nearest recruiting centre), who are expected to complete such a program by end May 2018, or who are in their first year of such a program.

Future Entry Plan: planning is underway to commence the hiring of candidates who meet the minimum entry standard, no later than summer of 2019. The entry standards will be published by January 2018.

Yeah just asking because it specifically refers to now hiring via Direct Entry at the top of the page but goes on to say "soon" accepting DE like you mentioned. I don't have a horse in the race either way, bit of a mixed message though.

Is it possible for civilians who have not completed an approved college course to apply to cyber yet? If not is there anything I can do now to make the application process easier / quicker when it does open? Any information about additional testing beyond CFAT that I can prepare for? I’ve been studying security for a long time but I’m hoping for something specific about testing.

Is it possible to correct an image in the online video about Cyber Operator?
92a975bce6ae09b1aaf571cb52889820.jpg

The French translation is different. They use the verb to have instead of to be.
La zone est classée secrète. N’entrez pas à moins d’avoir la cote secrète.

Could someone say if my bachelor degree in computer science is enough or I must learn like someone who knows nothing about network protocols and network programming?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

renemongeau said:

The French translation is different. They use the verb to have instead of to be.

Could someone say if my bachelor degree in computer science is enough or I must learn like someone who knows nothing about network protocols and network programming?

PM incoming

renemongeau said:

The grammar is wrong for BOTH English and French.

English should use the adjective form of to clear, and be "unless you are cleared Secret"  or possessive phrase using to have, ie. "unless you have a Secret security clearance")

French should be similar "vous êtes autorisé(e)s au niveau secret" or "si vous avez/tenez une cote de sécurité secret."

Regards
G2G

In typical Army fashion, they had someone make signs who is terrible at writing in both official languages.

PuckChaser said:
In typical Army fashion, they had someone make signs who is terrible at writing in both official languages.
I don’t judge. After, some English courses at Vanier college and nine English courses at the University of Quebec. I have done immersion too. I find some people who don’t understand me. Last year, I did some courses in aircraft mechanic. I used to fix engines for ten years in heavy machinery engine but much more pickup trucks and road trucks in my case, I wanted the English version of this course, I had a big issue with french vocabulary. I have found out that because I searched to read information from your monitors with the images on your eyes.

Good2Golf said:
The grammar is wrong for BOTH English and French.

English should use the adjective form of to clear, and be "unless you are cleared Secret"  or possessive phrase using to have, ie. "unless you have a Secret security clearance")

French should be similar "vous êtes autorisé(e)s au niveau secret" or "si vous avez/tenez une cote de sécurité secret."

Regards
G2G

I would use the closest french translation from simplified technical English ASD-STE100.

Back