• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Da Vinci Code movie

Do you believe the story written about in the book/movie??

• Total voters
Saw the movie, it was OK, not the best I've seen.

Far more entertaining was the fundamentalist Christians ranting and raving about blasphemy and handing out flyers that stated how stupid you would have to be to believe anything the movie said....

Why can't anyone just believe that this is a work of fiction and treat it as such? There were no Egyptians rioting in the streets when Indiana Jones came out, or Christians screaming at the Monty Python skits? What makes this story such news?

Maybee the fundamentalists know something we don't and its all part of a cover up by George Bush and the makers of tinfoil????

SHELLDRAKE!! said:
its all part of a cover up by George Bush and the makers of tinfoil????

THATS IT!

Another Bush caused controversy...Everything else in the world is his fault, why not this too?  :evil:

Even the author of Holy Blood Holy Grail has stated that he doesn't believe the hypothesis he put forward, he just found it an interesting mental puzzle.

You sure?  I don't know much about him other than he has another book out (or soon to be out) in which he suggests that Jesus wasn't actually crucified...

As for the book, it was an interesting story.  As for the controversey, I honestly don't care.  I'm not Christian, so it doesn't matter to me.  Though the one thing that always gets me wondering and I ask my Christian friends this, why does it matter?  Isn't the important thing following his teachings, and not his sex life?

Oh the irony of this thread!

Read my name and see if you can decipher it's meaning.  As a Christian well versed in theology, I can express the meaning of the book and film to all of you in this way:  the Davinci code is to Christians as pacifist-liberal rhetoric is to soldiers.  
Both ideas flow from a fundamental misunderstanding of, in one case, Biblical Orthodoxy, and in the other case, political necessity.  If we all listened to pacifist rhetoric and minimized our army, the nation would go unprotected and Canada as we know it would cease to exist.  Likewise, when one takes the Davinci code seriously (as some do), the Christian belief of salvation is unraveled.
Neither erronus example can work, both take too much for granted, and, as many of you must know from experience, neither can be reasoned with!

I suggest that any involved in this thread bone up on their biblical literacy, if they haven't already.  In military occupations, death is a distinct possibility, and all shall meet their maker sooner than they think.

exsemjingo said:
..........  the Davinci code is to Christians as pacifist-liberal rhetoric is to soldiers.  
Both ideas flow from a fundamental misunderstanding of, in one case, Biblical Orthodoxy, and in the other case, political necessity.  If we all listened to pacifist rhetoric and minimized our army, the nation would go unprotected and Canada as we know it would cease to exist.  Likewise, when one takes the Davinci code seriously (as some do), the Christian belief of salvation is unraveled.
Neither erronus example can work, both take too much for granted, and, as many of you must know from experience, neither can be reasoned with!

Interesting points.  We all know the Da Vinci Code is a work of fiction and nothing more than a tale with a morbid sense of humour about getting a young French woman to a Family Reunion in the UK, but I digress.  If I look at your statement on the pacifist rhetoric and minimizing of our army.......Isn't that exactly what we have seen happen?

exsemjingo said:

Read my name and see if you can decipher it's meaning.  As a Christian well versed in theology, I can express the meaning of the book and film to all of you in this way:  the Davinci code is to Christians as pacifist-liberal rhetoric is to soldiers.  

I suggest that any involved in this thread bone up on their biblical literacy, if they haven't already.  In military occupations, death is a distinct possibility, and all shall meet their maker sooner than they think.
well, now, your entire post revolves around one accepting the conventional Christian faith. If one doesn't, it falls apart.

exsemjingo said:
I suggest that any involved in this thread bone up on their biblical literacy, if they haven't already.  

Why? There's a large school of thought that feels the same way about the bible as many do the Da Vinci Code. An adulterated, work of fiction. Any truth it held has long been obliterated by the many self serving rewrites, and the lost, purged and destroyed books and chapters, but it's a good story none the less.

recceguy said:
Why? There's a large school of thought that feels the same way about the bible as many do the Da Vinci Code. An adulterated, work of fiction. Any truth it held has long been obliterated by the many self serving rewrites, and the lost, purged and destroyed books and chapters, but it's a good story none the less.

You beat me to it  ;D

recceguy said:

True.  In the days of Chaucer, how many monks may have taken a few literary licences with transcribing of the Lord's word?  Which version of the Bible, if any, is an accurate translation or representation of the ancient scrolls?

Went to see it today (gotta love girls who eat lots of cheerios - result: free movies).  Saw Art School Confidential as well.

Reaction: Meh.  Just a movie.  Entertaining enough.

paracowboy said:
yup. He said so in the recent Nat'l Geographic special, that was on last week.

Out of curosity, which author said that?  Holy Bloody, Holy Grail was written by three guys, Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincoln,

Interesting discussion. I've read the book, but have not seen the movie yet (may be today). After reading the book the first thought that came to my mind was that I've read it all before; specifically Holy Blood, Holy Grail. How Dan Brown escaped the law suit against him is beyond me. As with previous posters I consider the book out-an-out fiction. What Brown has down has taken several different threads and weave them together. If you want to read some critiques on the book I recommend Bart Ehrman's "Truth and Fiction in the Da Vinci Code."  Ehrman is well-known expect on early Christianity and his book debunks Brown's contention about Jesus and Mary Magdalene being married, Brown's contention that it wasn't until the Emperor Constantine that the Gospels were finally decided on, among other things. He doesn't look at latter allegations Brown makes such as about the Priory of Sion. For that, check out Skeptics Magazine website. As an aside someone previous mentioned about how accurate the Bible, Ehrman has another book out called "Misquoting Jesus: The Story behind who changed the Bible and Why." 

Another poster brought up want would happen if Jesus would return. Yes it would have a significant impact on the Christian world. Not to sure about the impact among the Jews as they do no consider him a prophet. Where the biggest impact I think would among Muslims. Why Muslims you ask? Well, the Shia's believe (if I remember correctly) that the return of the Twelfth Imam will occur when the Prophet Isa (Jesus) returns, declares Shi'ism the one true religion and that the final battle between good and evil will occur.

Retired AF Guy said:
Another poster brought up want would happen if Jesus would return. Yes it would have a significant impact on the Christian world. Not to sure about the impact among the Jews as they do no consider him a prophet. Where the biggest impact I think would among Muslims. Why Muslims you ask? Well, the Shia's believe (if I remember correctly) that the return of the Twelfth Imam will occur when the Prophet Isa (Jesus) returns, declares Shi'ism the one true religion and that the final battle between good and evil will occur.

Will suck when we all realize in that event that we're on the same side. Which side is yet to be determined.

In other news, one of the ladies magazines on sale at the check out stand at the grocery store today was advertising how one can TAKE POUNDS OFF WITH THE DA VINCI CODE DIET! Having seen that, and the effect it has had on my faith in humanity, I hope Armageddon and the Rapture comes sooner rather than later.

Many posters have written just what the first page of the book says it is...a work of fiction.  It is fiction based on historical facts and pieced together with conspiracy theories into a well written-quick read.  My question is: If it is mostly fiction and untrue, why are so many people of knowledge and the church trying to debunk it? 
I am reminded of my Holy Land tour in Jerusalem many years ago.  The tour guide, Mark, had a great sense of humour and relayed to me and my wife the basic difference between the Christian and Judaic religions.  If (he said) on Judgement Day, when the Messiah comes down the line, stops at me and says. "Mark, where's a great place to get a pizza?"  I will know that the Jews were right.  If, however, The Messiah comes to me and says, "Great to be back, wanna go for a pizza." I will know that the Christians were right. 
    Sorry, cute story that may or may not need to be here.  Suffice it to say that half of two plus two will always equal three.  The novel makes you think. 
Cheers.    :cdn:

Gaspasser said:
Many posters have written just what the first page of the book says it is...a work of fiction.  It is fiction based on historical facts and pieced together with conspiracy theories into a well written-quick read.  My question is: If it is mostly fiction and untrue, why are so many people of knowledge and the church trying to debunk it? 
I am reminded of my Holy Land tour in Jerusalem many years ago.  The tour guide, Mark, had a great sense of humour and relayed to me and my wife the basic difference between the Christian and Judaic religions.  If (he said) on Judgement Day, when the Messiah comes down the line, stops at me and says. "Mark, where's a great place to get a pizza?"  I will know that the Jews were right.  If, however, The Messiah comes to me and says, "Great to be back, wanna go for a pizza." I will know that the Christians were right. 
    Sorry, cute story that may or may not need to be here.  Suffice it to say that half of two plus two will always equal three.  The novel makes you think. 
Cheers.    :cdn:

Wouldn't he have to turn a stone into a pizza for the prophecy to be true?

I agree that the Da Vinci Code is not bad of a read. One thing it did do is stimulate my interest in early Christian history. This is especially true after I had read Ehrman's take on the Da Vinci. Previously to that I had always assumed that that after the death of Jesus there was only one version of Christianity; Well there wasn't, in fact, there were many different versions of Christianity that were vying for first place. To broaden my horizons I started buying additional books on early Christianity. So, you can say that Dan Brown has actually accomplished something and that is a renewed discussion of Christianity and its beginnings and the Roman Catholic Church. A good example is how Opus Dei has used the controversy to its own advantage.

Retired AF Guy said:
I agree that the Da Vinci Code is not bad of a read. One thing it did do is stimulate my interest in early Christian history. This is especially true after I had read Ehrman's take on the Da Vinci. Previously to that I had always assumed that that after the death of Jesus there was only one version of Christianity; Well there wasn't, in fact, there were many different versions of Christianity that were vying for first place. To broaden my horizons I started buying additional books on early Christianity. So, you can say that Dan Brown has actually accomplished something and that is a renewed discussion of Christianity and its beginnings and the Roman Catholic Church. A good example is how Opus Dei has used the controversy to its own advantage.

I think movie is supposed to do just that - after Saving Private Ryan, no matter what one thought of it, you can't deny that there was a huge renewal of interest in D-Day and the Second World War in general. Including huge sales figures for books, Ambroses' in particular. Veterans benefited directly from that movie in ways not even imagined for decades - Tom Hanks seems to be a magnet for positive attention for stuff like that; he renewed interest in the Apollo moon program with his miniseries also.

Am I the only one that thinks the book was horribly written. The prose was unimaginative and pedantic and did not give any credence to the reader's intelligence. I got so annoyed with the childish style of writing I almost gave up half way through the book, but decided to finish it so I could say with all honesty, "Yes I read it. It's a work of fiction and not well done, at that." The premise is interesting, though. I like the author Kathereine Neville better. She also often uses pseudo-religious and philosophical ideas as plots; she also has neat puzzles placed throughout her books, but her writing itself is infinitely better.

Back