• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Damnit! Air Canada layoffs, bad for me but good for the CF

How does the DEO pilot numbers look. My brother has been fighting with the CFRC for over a year now just to get a date for ACS. He was told they were much more interested in ROTP and RMC then  DEOs.

He's got a degree with grades in the 80% plus range, and he's very competitive in all the other catagories too.

I've heard a very low number for DEO/CEOTP pilot spots this year but it's expected to change later on as I understand it. The recruiting centre can probably give you better info as to what's going on today and it will probably be "all pilot slots are full for the year except ROTP and you missed the deadline for 08/09 entry, how do you feel about combat arms?"

All bases are/have been briefed about the large shortfall in trained pilots and plans are coming together to fully 'open the taps'. This isn't something that can happen next month though it's a multi year plan. The shortfall and training plan, as I understand it, is only going to maintain current levels despite being very agressive and a large shift in how things are done. Once the massive backlog of 2LT's on OJT all over the country starts to clear up expect the recruiting numbers to bump up as well. The 2LT's here that just finished BOTC tell me they're expecting around 5 years to wings. That needs to change before more people come through the door.

AC layoffs aren't in competition with you so don't even sweat it. I don't know any airline pilots that upon receiving a pink slip would sign up for 3-5 years of OJT at 45k/yr + have to go through basic training etc. Don't forget WestJet is still hiring and there's movement in the industry, it's just slowing down.The motivation to stay in and a handful who come back will just help to even out the expected experience losses over the next little while but not affect fresh recruits.

Hope this helps someone?

TheCheez said:
The 2LT's here that just finished BOTC tell me they're expecting around 5 years to wings. That needs to change before more people come through the door.

What about the Ocdts?  How long are they waiting?

Thanks Everyone,

Aside from the obvious (get degree, laser surgery) is there anything I can do "now" to speed up the training cycle (ie. take French classes, flying lessons) assuming I am accepted?  I'd like to find a way to fast track through at least part of the process - don't know if that is possible though.

My thoughts are to join the Air Reserves in the interim and get some credit, time-in and possibly earn a bypass for some of the mandatory training.  I'd have to join as an NCM (no degree means no officer roles in Air Reserves - at 16 Wing anyways).

J

Pilot training is all done by the military.  If you have 40 000$ to spend, you can get your commercial license. You would bypass PFT (Primary Flying Training), which is a big 30 hours of flying in total.  I don't think it's quite worth it.

Max

SupersonicMax said:
Pilot training is all done by the military.  If you have 40 000$ to spend, you can get your commercial license. You would bypass PFT (Primary Flying Training), which is a big 30 hours of flying in total.  I don't think it's quite worth it.

Max

Especially considering PFT is the best, cheapest, and easiest way to break you down and built you up with a basic understanding of flying and what will be expected of you in future courses.

Back