• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DDC and civy insurance.

Gayson

Inactive
Reaction score
I did a search but did not come up with what I'm looking for.

So, I'm doing my G1 Exit Test soon, yes I should have done it long ago.

I went to the local insurance broker yesterday and got a quote on insurance for having the DTC and not.

I showed them my certificate for the DDC I got on my DP1 2 summers ago. The lady said that it may not count for the DTC deduction because insurance companies require that the course come from the ministry of transport, whereas the DDC was taught by Mr. paris from Meaford who's a civvie employed by DND.

When I did my DDC I was told that it WOULD count towards a civvy insurance deduction (and I assume this was for more than The Personal insurance company). Would anyone know where I can find documentation from the CF or DND on this matter?

The insurance broker is looking into it, however I would like to find out for myself incase she says no when other sources may say yes.

Thanks.

Sounds Like a load of crap. My DDC is from the Canada Saftey Council, sounds like nothing better or worse then say Young Drivers. There are tons of private companies that are licenced driving instructors, but they don not work for the MOT. So I would look more into this, because I think a DDC course through the military is more officail governemnt wise then Joe Shmoe on teh corner teaching you how to drive.

foerestedwarrior said:
Sounds Like a load of crap. My DDC is from the Canada Saftey Council, sounds like nothing better or worse then say Young Drivers. There are tons of private companies that are licenced driving instructors, but they don not work for the MOT. So I would look more into this, because I think a DDC course through the military is more officail governemnt wise then Joe Shmoe on teh corner teaching you how to drive.

Shop around.  Auto insurance is a highly competetive business

Many insurance companies offer a DTC credit for Dvr Non Trade, DP1 MSE OP or the old QL4 Dvr Wheeled courses.  Few will give you a rate cut on DDC alone since it is all in-class instruction with no road time.

Haggis said:
Shop around.  Auto insurance is a highly competetive business

Many insurance companies offer a DTC credit for Dvr Non Trade, DP1 MSE OP or the old QL4 Dvr Wheeled courses.  Few will give you a rate cut on DDC alone since it is all in-class instruction with no road time.

You've brought up another point.  I brought my 404's and Dangerous goods in.  I asked if they offered discounts on military driving qualifications and they had never heard anything about it, infact, she was surprised the military had a seperate licensing system and thought having a G was enough to drive a tank.

I see this is a bit of an older post. If it doesn't help you perhaps it may help someone else or it may even clear things up for myself since I am going to post my 2 cents, and am always prepared to stand corrected.

Once upon a time I was a driving instructor with Young Drivers of Canada. As far as I knew, the certificate for discounts did not come from the MTO (in Ontario), or from YD, it came from a private non-profit organization. The Canada Safety Council sounds right, I can't remember for certain since it has been a while. If this is the case, everyone that receives training from CF should receive one of these certificates directly from them if what foerestedwarrior mentioned above is correct. I do not know since I am not with the forces yet. If you do not get much road time during training, I wonder if they offer the same certificate that civies get after their training. You need to understand, the training has to include traffic scenarios and rules of the road information to classify as relevant training. Vehicle operation skills is only part of the equation. Having said that, I currently work as a motorcycle instructor at Humber College (Toronto) in the summer and I am certain we grant Canada Safety Council certificates called "Gearing Up" to our graduates, after instructing them in a parking lot to gain their M1.

If you would like to make certain of Canada Safety Council, contact Raynald Marchand he's the Manager of Traffic Safety & Training at (613) 739-1535 ext. 226

Maybe they do issue certificates for your training, but like many things in life... all you need to do is ask.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Holy shit, I'm a student at Humber North campus!

The DDC offered in the CF does include traffic scenarios and rules of the road.  Infact I recall one of the tests required for 404's was identical to my G1 test and the driving portion including everyhting on G2.

I work in 2RCR Bn Tpt, and for our personell, The DDC is taught in house through one of our Sgts, along with Safe Backing. It is only given as a pre-requisite for LFCC Driver wheel, or to qualify new personel to drive the duty vehicle. Even though the certificate is through the Canada Safety Council, i've never seen anybody get a break on insurance with it.  I am by no means an expert on this but i've just never seen it happen.

J. Gayson said:
Holy crap, I'm a student at Humber North campus!

The DDC offered in the CF does include traffic scenarios and rules of the road.  Infact I recall one of the tests required for 404's was identical to my G1 test and the driving portion including everyhting on G2.

Well, if you are around the North Campus on the 25th and 26th this month, you'll see us on the bikes doing our re-cert.

Just wondering, have you guys found out if you can get an insurance discount certificate?

I'm yet to find an insurance company in Ontario that will give you a cut on your insurance rate because of that certificate. Anyone thats ever owned a car in Ontario knows the prices for insurance are ridiculous so any break you can get is good.

Hi reccecrewman, are you talking about the Safety Council Certificate or the Armed Forces certificate?

Back