• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dealing with being home from Kandahar

Piper,

What can I say, your story has brought a part of me to the surface which most soldiers keep hidden. What makes it harder is the fact that my son will be going where you have been. You made me rethink what I was planning to say to him before he leaves. To be honest, I may not be able to say anything to my son, for I know for a fact, I may be to emotional. Your story has made it very difficult for me to " put on a brave face" as my son is accustom to seeing from his Dad. I will really have to suck it up now.

Thank you for telling your story and thank you for being you. If my sons fellow soldiers are half the man you are then I know he will be among the best.

Speedy recovery my friend.

Proud Father.

I obviously can't even begin to pretend I understand, as I have never been there. What I can say, is Thank You. I know it may not mean much, but it really is all I can offer. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for doing what you do, so that my family can enjoy the life we have back here. We can't all have the courage and dedication to our country, to serve like you amazing people do.

I too have someone important to me serving on this deployment. All I can hope is that I can support him in the way I need to. To be there for him while he is over there doing this amazing job, and then to be there for him when he gets home and needs continued support. I am very thankful that he is home safe on HLTA right now. But I know he has to go back.

I am also so very thankful that although you have been wounded and are at home against your wishes, that you will overcome this. You will be able to continue to tell your story, so that simple civi's like me can remember how great our Soldiers are each and every day.

Once again, Thank you for being you.

Piper,
  Very well written, it brought many a tear to my eye.  We never get to hear how it is from the Line quite like that.  I think many of our politicians need to read your words and put it into perspective.  If I may, I want to save a copy and keep it for prosperity.  May your fingers and hands heal well enough to pipe once more for your comrades in arms. You've done well and made us proud to serve.  You have fulfilled your end of the bargin: "With your sheild,or on it." 
  I'm not a Patritia so I don't feel right by saying Pro Patria, therefore:
   Servitium Nulli Secundus
   Gaspasser

That should be published in every paper in the nation, the raw emotion puts to shame anything writtten by reporters. Pro Patria brother.

On further reflection, I want to expand my "thanks" to a much broader audience: everyone who's putting themselves in harm's way for us here safely in Canada. The sentiment is there throughout Piper's message, but somehow I missed it. I've been re-reading your passage in my head, and it struck me: I owe a debt of gratitude to everyone who's over there, those that have returned and those that are going. Piper, your experience is not unique, which means two important things:

First, you are not alone in what you are feeling.

Second, it's unfair of me to single you out. You made your post to tell us the depth of the sacrifice and the raw edge to the experience that our soldiers are dealing with, so that we could better appreciate it. I do, as a result of your notes. So while I thank you specifically for writing them and for all you've done in service to Canada, I also thank those you served with for their courage, hard work and sacrifice.

We, as a community, are here to support you and your 'family.' Just let us know how we can help.

Cheers
Mike

Well written, and an example to all, you have captured in that post more of what I know about all of us but have no actual understanding of personally for not being there.  Make sure you save it somewhere.  Share it with everyone you know, if you're ready, for you have something there that is absolutely amazing.

Piper,

+100

I can only add more of the same to what has been said already. I do know the level of frustration that I am feeling being "stuck" here while others do all the "real" work.

What you are going through must be so far above and beyond my own selfish feelings. You have humbled me, and I consider it an honour to wear the same uniform.

I will be telling my 9D about your letter, she will want to hear what you have to say. I will also make sure that my family (the flat-face ones) take a moment of their time and read your thoughts.

Wook

Well said Piper, thank you for what you, and all those that have served (or are currently serving) in Afghanistan, are doing for our nation.  We are proud of you and here for you.

I would also like to place this on my blog to ensure its widest dissemination.  Yours is a voice the country needs to hear.  I will certainly remove it if you have a problem with that.

I can't put into words the appreciation I have for all of you past and present members.. and to those who have paid the ultimate price.

:salute: :salute:

Piper,

After sitting here for 5 minutes thinking, I have no words to respond to your's that are worthy.

I humbly say a sincere "thank you" to you and the brothers and sisters you wrote about.

Truly the only thing I can say that is close to worthy is... :salute:

This pulls my heart closer each day to keeping my current beret on, instead of trading it in with my CT.  You and the men and women like you are an inspiration...

I first want to thank all of you for all of your support and heartfelt comments, not just for me, but for all of our family (military and otherwise).  This feeling of support is what our soldiers, and their families, need… especially now.  Thank you.

I wanted to quote so many of you who have posted and address your sentiments individually, but it would all boil down to “thank you”, and I’m glad I could help / inform / indulge / occupy / enlighten you and I’m sorry if I made you cry… wasn’t my goal… honestly…

I found one post which I think sums up a lot and I highlighted what I thought was important. 

Mike Bobbitt said:
On further reflection, I want to expand my "thanks" to a much broader audience: everyone who's putting themselves in harm's way for us here safely in Canada. The sentiment is there throughout Piper's message, but somehow I missed it. I've been re-reading your passage in my head, and it struck me: I owe a debt of gratitude to everyone who's over there, those that have returned and those that are going. Piper, your experience is not unique, which means two important things:

First, you are not alone in what you are feeling.

Second, it's unfair of me to single you out. You made your post to tell us the depth of the sacrifice and the raw edge to the experience that our soldiers are dealing with, so that we could better appreciate it. I do, as a result of your notes. So while I thank you specifically for writing them and for all you've done in service to Canada, I also thank those you served with for their courage, hard work and sacrifice.

We, as a community, are here to support you and your 'family.' Just let us know how we can help.

Cheers
Mike

Our community is what makes our army strong and our country free.

My experience was far from unique.  There are at least 5 more returned home from the day I was wounded… and at least 1 from the day before (HoM).  There is a company of wounded still over there from those 2 days as well.

As the tour progresses, there will be more coming home...  And more still there.
I saw war for 3 weeks… I only had a taste of it.
Those who are still there have to deal with these same emotions as well as fight. That is why the family bond must stay strong.

I know I’m not alone.  If what I wrote helps someone to come to terms with what they feel, or invokes the same feeling from within, and they choose to reach out to the rest of our family, then I will not have written one word in vain. 

Mike, I don’t think a better understanding could be written.  All I could think when I read your post was “Yes… Exactly… Thank you for understanding.”

I said the following to a few other people via PM;

I’m not trying to be a Martyr or Messiah.  I don’t want pity.  I just needed to vent.  I’m glad to see so much support, but I hope that this much support is afforded to the others who have come home, and to those who will come home, wounded or otherwise.

And as for sharing what I have posted; I wouldn’t have posted it on a public forums if I didn’t want people to read it.  So if you want to post it elsewhere, feel free to do so with my blessing.

Cheers,

- Piper

I guess the Motto of the USMC sums up some of the feelings.

Semper Fidelis - Always Faithful

To our country, to our family, to our brothers and sisters in arms.

I thank you sincerely for writing that. I wish more could see it. More should see it. Read it, and take it to heart.

Thank you for sharing Piper.  Yours is not the first story I have heard, and hopefully not the last about what really goes on there.  I still do not understand the true depth of being wounded, even though my hubbie was wounded 9 months ago on January 15th.  Your story, and others like it need to be shared with all Canadians.  It would make quite the interesting recollection of war for generations to come.
Take care.

wow..hum....i'm speechless!  :salute: you're a real patriot!! get well soon!! i'm going to afghanistan in 1 month and I'm going for you and the others!! take care!

I read your story, I can not relate a personal experience, but will tell you about some other veterans. My wife has two Uncles who fought in the Malay Emergency, spending a great deal of time in the jungle, although both survived, you could say only one did come back and the other is still in the Jungle.

The Uncle who soul lives in the jungle lives only half alive, although surrounded by friends and family it is plain that he is not really there, he still suffers with his friends lost in the battle. He can never really take part in anything and has difficulty taking joy in life. He is a good man with a kind heart, and will never abandon anyone in need. He never had a wife or child. Joy for him is a fleeting thing, because he feels guilty at being alive. His past keeps from fulfilling his future.

The other Uncle did come back. It took time to adjust and to deal with the nightmares and memories and when at a memorial he showed the names of his friends killed, you can see the sadness and loss in his eyes. But he made a conscious decision to enjoy life to it’s fullest, it is his way of honouring those who died. He has a good life and he infects the people around him with joy and laughter. This is his victory over his enemies and his tribute to his friends, honour those that can not with laughter, with happiness, joy and respect.

When you place yourself in harms way for us, it is a great sacrifice, and those who are aware will thank you for it. But it is important that you learn to put the time in battle and the feelings it gives into perspective. Those memories will always be part of you and you should never try to forget, but always forgive yourself for being human and lucky. War is chaos and why somebody is hurt and killed when the person next is not, can sometimes be plain luck. If you are given the luck to survive. Then you must make the best of that gift by living life to the fullest. The friends who sacrificed their lives would expect nothing less.

I hope this helps, talking about what goes inside, can help you. Many will not understand and that is to be expected, very few people will truly understand, do not be anger or disappointed with them. Just remember to forgive yourself and to take joy in the things around you. 

I sincerely hope you, and others, find peace eventually.

However insignificant it may be, know that the sacrifices you and your family have made will never be forgotten, nor will my debt of gratitude.

Back