• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Declining an offer (merged)

Gulruthina

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
If you decline a job offer, can you pick another trade instead? Would you have to go through the same process again?
 

Bart905

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
There was a post on the same topic not too long ago and some of the more experienced members said that It will not affect you being on the merit list for the other trades u applied for but when you decline and asked to change a trade you will need to be interviewed for that new trade and go on the merit list. Make sure your CFAT score is high enough for the new trade you want to apply for . I'm not sure if CF will allow you to re-write the CFAT to see if you will score high enough for you to apply for that position.
 

Gulruthina

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
cypres78 said:
Why do you want to decline an offer? You have three choices on you application now you don't want any of them?

I was just wondering what would happen.

Also, I heard that some recruiters will suggest a trade for the applicant once he/she finishes writing the CFAT, is that true?
 

Bart905

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I guess you will find out on Feb 28 and let us know. How did the CF first contact you ? Through email or a phone call ?
 

Gulruthina

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Bart905 said:
I guess you will find out on Feb 28 and let us know. How did the CF first contact you ? Through email or a phone call ?

I was first contacted by the CF through email when I first submitted my application last August 2011 after 2 days. Then, I was contacted by my recruiter last week, on February 14 stating that they have reviewed my application and they will forward it to the Toronto Recruiting Office.

I got another email after 2-3 days from the Toronto Recruitment center asking me to come in and provide them with the originals of my transcripts, ID's, security clearance, and reference. They also left a voicemail in my home phone asking me to check my inbox and follow the instructions. Lastly, I went to the recruiting office today to show them my original documents and booked my CFAT on the 28th.
 

Bart905

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Congratulations .. I applied online on feb 2 2012 looks like I have a long way ahead of me . Hopefully you will get into the trade of your choices good luck . 
 

Wilamanjaro

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Bart905 said:
I guess you will find out on Feb 28 and let us know.

Is there something I don't know? I thought April first(ish) is when we should start hearing what's going on. If we are lucky.
 

Gulruthina

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Wilamanjaro said:
Is there something I don't know? I thought April first(ish) is when we should start hearing what's going on. If we are lucky.

Well, I was told the same thing that I should start hearing what is going on by April. But, when I went to the Recruiting Centre today, I was told that my application is a type "PPR5".


@Bart095:  Thanks! but I believe it is too early to celebrate since I still have to take the CFAT, Physical, Medical, interview and hopefully I pass my security clearance and my references get contacted easily.
 

Shamrock

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Gulruthina said:
If you decline a job offer, can you pick another trade instead? Would you have to go through the same process again?

However long ago it was, my recruiting file was handled thus:

I generated my three choices, and I was determined suitable or not for those three. As hiring boards sat, my file went to them. Should two occur simultaneously, then my file went to the one I was most suitable for. Should that board decide to generate an offer, my file remained theirs until I turned it down, at which point my file re-entered circulation. That meant in 25 April if armour sat its board and made the offer 10 May, my file wouldn't have been seen by the infantry board 2 May (even though I was more suitable for infantry).

Takeaway: request only trades you are equally willing to accept.

 

Wilamanjaro

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
@shamrock

I have been wondering how they deal with this. When I originally applied I was told I could t not apply for combat engineer as it was full. Recently, however, I was able to change my 3rd choice to engineer and make it my 1st priority choice. I would very much like engineer above my other two and was wondering if They'd all "select" at the same time or if holding out for engineer would be worth it? I really don't want to wait another year and a half for an offer. I will take any offer I get, but how could I find out when combat engineers get their offer as opposed to vehicle techs? Just so I don't make a wrong choice at the last second and turn down veh tech in hopes that my cbt eng offer is "just around the corner."
 

Bart905

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Wilamanjaro said:
@shamrock

I have been wondering how they deal with this. When I originally applied I was told I could t not apply for combat engineer as it was full. Recently, however, I was able to change my 3rd choice to engineer and make it my 1st priority choice. I would very much like engineer above my other two and was wondering if They'd all "select" at the same time or if holding out for engineer would be worth it? I really don't want to wait another year and a half for an offer. I will take any offer I get, but how could I find out when combat engineers get their offer as opposed to vehicle techs? Just so I don't make a wrong choice at the last second and turn down veh tech in hopes that my cbt eng offer is "just around the corner."

As a applicant my self I would wait till the trade of my choice opens up due the fact if your serious about an military career, you want to be in a trade your most interested in.I know it takes a long time just to be on the merit list and once you get a offer your thinking like FINALLY and want to jump rite in, too bad military is one of those things thats not easy to quit like a civilian job. Plus it a career , you move up in rank , it has many benefits both for you and your family I would hate to turn something down like that but at the same time I would hate to live with regret if I accepted an offer for a trade I was so what interested in , but then again everyone is different . Just my 2 cents I hope everything works out the way you want it to.
 

The_Falcon

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Gulruthina said:
If you decline a job offer, can you pick another trade instead? Would you have to go through the same process again?

You can decline a job offer should you be presented one.  That offer will typically only be for one trade, so if you decline, your file goes back into the pool to wait for your other choices (should you qualify and they are open).

Wilamanjaro said:
Is there something I don't know? I thought April first(ish) is when we should start hearing what's going on. If we are lucky.

For most trades yes.  Other trades they have been designated as pre-processing trades, so when the new FY starts there is already a pool of applicants for those trades.  CFRG basically staggers what trades its wants/needs, based a whole variety of reasons and sends out direction to the CFRCs on what are priority to get through and what are not.  The PPR score is used in conjuction with this direction.  Its basically a quick way  and simple way (without having to dig through the file) to determine an applicants suitability based on work history, education, physical activity etc, and whether or not you should(can) proceed further in the process.
 

mmmjon

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hatchet Man said:
You can decline a job offer should you be presented one.  That offer will typically only be for one trade, so if you decline, your file goes back into the pool to wait for your other choices (should you qualify and they are open).

For most trades yes.  Other trades they have been designated as pre-processing trades, so when the new FY starts there is already a pool of applicants for those trades.  CFRG basically staggers what trades its wants/needs, based a whole variety of reasons and sends out direction to the CFRCs on what are priority to get through and what are not.  The PPR score is used in conjuction with this direction.  Its basically a quick way  and simple way (without having to dig through the file) to determine an applicants suitability based on work history, education, physical activity etc, and whether or not you should(can) proceed further in the process.

Somewhat off topic, but I just wanted to say thank you for your VERY precise and informative posts.
Looking through your post history has given me quite a bit of worthy info regarding the application process.

Thank you!
 

The_Falcon

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
mmmjon said:
Somewhat off topic, but I just wanted to say thank you for your VERY precise and informative posts.
Looking through your post history has given me quite a bit of worthy info regarding the application process.

Thank you!

Thanks. 
 

maplebear

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I accepted a job offer about a week ago, right before some family issues came up. It was listed as my first choice. I was wondering if it was possible to decline after accepting an offer and making my second choice my top choice, as I feel it would be better suited to my current situation, ie west coast vs. east coast, number of bases.

I hate to be even thinking about this because I know how lucky I am just to get the call.
 

JorgSlice

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
0
Points
0
If you don't want to go, don't, and inform the RC. There's lots of us here that are waiting to get a job offer.

Think real good about this one.
 

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
438
Points
880
maplebear said:
I accepted a job offer about a week ago, right before some family issues came up. It was listed as my first choice. I was wondering if it was possible to decline after accepting an offer and making my second choice my top choice, as I feel it would be better suited to my current situation, ie west coast vs. east coast, number of bases.

I hate to be even thinking about this because I know how lucky I am just to get the call.

The postings would vary according to trade, of course, but you must realize you still may not get the posting you want.  If this "family issue" is something you cannot (or will not) be able to move because of, then yes, decline your offer.  It might even be suggested to withdraw your application.......


JorgSlice said:
If you don't want to go, don't, and inform the RC. There's lots of us here that are waiting to get a job offer.

Think real good about this one.

Exactly, you may not get this chance again.
 

Knight13

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I applied last week (mind you, I already had everything completed because of ROTP application earlier in the year)  for 1. Infantry 2. Combat Engineer and 3.  Vehicle Technician.  Got a call today for a 5 year contract for the v-tech trade.  The more I thought about it, I realized I wouldn't be happy doing that for the next 5 years because infantry is where my heart is set.  I figured I would decline and let someone who really wants to be a v-tech accept the offer instead.  The CPL who called me said an MCC(?) would call me later in the day to talk to me about the rejection.  Did I screw up? Will this affect my chances of getting into another trade?

Thanks, Knight13
 

Humphrey Bogart

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
624
Points
1,040
You didn't screw up, you didn't want to do the job.  My advice to you is next time you apply only put a job down you actually want to do.  Nobody ever said you have to put 3 choices down.  When I joined I put Infantry, that was it  ;)
 
Top