• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dental requirements for joining military?

Tonyalip

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm curious if having bad teeth will disqualify me from joining the military. I'm having some dental problem where all my molars need filling and pulling. I've grown up drinking lots of pop and eating too much of sugary items. This has resulted in my tooth getting infected and experience severe toothache. From what I have been able to find online about the military standard is that any condition must not interfere with your concentration. Does anybody here know the military standards about the health requirements? I have anyway booked an appointment with an emergency dentist in Whitby as I want to get it fixed as soon as possible. But I want to know if I should get it worked on before I join or could I join and get it done by the military dentists?

Tonyalip said:
I'm curious if having bad teeth will disqualify me from joining the military.

Dental Enrolment Standards and Dental Condition on Enrolment
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-medical-occupations/cf-dental-enrollment-conditions.page

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

If you have poor dentition, you can be rejected medically until the problems are fixed.

MM

The OP did not mention which component s/he is applying to.
S/he may, or may not, find this of interest,

7.The dental standards for enrolment in the Canadian Forces shall apply:
a.to applicants for the Regular Force;
b.to applicants for the Reserve Entry Training Program at Service Colleges;
c.to members of the Reserves making application for transfer to the Regular Force; and
d.for employment
i.on Class C service;
ii.on Class B service for a period in excess of 6 months; or
iii.as active aircrew (including Reserve Class A Active Aircrew).

11.In peacetime, this requirement for specific dental enrolment documentation applies to members of:
a.the Regular Force;
b.the Reserve Entry Training Program at Service Colleges; and
c.the Reserves making application to transfer to the Regular Force or for employment:
i.on Class C service; or
ii.on Class B service for a period in excess of 180 days.

mariomike said:
Dental Enrolment Standards and Dental Condition on Enrolment
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-medical-occupations/cf-dental-enrollment-conditions.page

The attachment is a pretty good summary of what's required.  In a nutshell, the only things that will prevent enrollment until they're corrected are pretty serious.  Simply having bad teeth due to abuse or improper care shouldn't be an issue if the problems can be readily and permanently fixed.  I love this statement though:

"As a general guideline, the minimum dental standard for enrolment in the CF is considered to be a complement of natural "or artificial teeth in sufficient number and occlusal relationship to allow for adequate mastication and communication functions."

What an interesting way to say that you have to have a sufficient number of teeth (real or otherwise) that line up well enough for you to be able to chew and talk.

Pusser said:
. . . well enough for you to be able to chew and talk.

And not necessarily at the same time.  Back when the earth was cooling, the simple (official?) explanation of the standard was "free from pain and able to eat".  The minimum "sufficient teeth"  used to be "two" (2), as long as they were opposing.

If you go even further back, to the Second World War, the direction given to medical examiners was:

Teeth: The partial or total absence of natural teeth, and the carious or other defective conditions of those remaining will not constitute causes for rejection. The possession of dentures is not obligatory. Recruits will not be accepted, however, with marked malformation of the jaws.

LightFighter said:
Get the required dental work now.

What he said. Basic is stressful enough without your face hurting every day. You're also not going to want to start your career off with 10 hours of dental appointments at your first posting.

I think the OP was a spammer, given the link in their post.

Just my  :2c:

Back