• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dentist

Im attached posted to kingston.. and Borden is overflooded for teeth cleaning.. They wont put me on

• Die?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VR?

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

pstrois

Inactive
Reaction score
Yeah So I just spent 50cents calling the dental clinic here in Borden. I was wondering If it was possible to get a rendez-vous to get a cleaning.

Sir your attach posted to kingston, meaning we canot take you into our responsability. My QL3 are in January 09... by that time my teeth will.. yeah ok

What should I do? What Can I do?

It used to be that the dental office would notify you in your birth month that you are due for a check up and cleaning, and you would be responsible to arrange for an appointment. If you have problems while on your attached posting you can always go to the local dental clinic on the sick parade.

I'd go civvie dentist.  Went to a Military Dentist in Halifax during my Army days and the dental officer tore up my mouth and gums (very painful).  I guess he figured that Army folks can handle the pain.  Not to say all CF dentists are the same but Civvie folks do have the latest and greatest equipment/techniques when it comes to medical care...unfortunately.

J

Fireball said:
I'd go civvie dentist.

Great advice.  ::) NOT!!  If this person is military, they can't just waltz off to a civilian dentist at whim.  Not unless they want to pay for it themselves.  Normally, when one is attach posted, the Base Dental Clinic will only do necessary work.  Please note that does not include teeth cleaning. 

What I don't understand is that you state you called Dental in Borden, yet the they responded with "you're attach posted to Kingston."
Where are you posted?

At any rate, lots of people put off getting a cleaning before they get in the CF figuring they might as well wait for the free dental coverage.  Believe me, you will more than likely be done your QL3 course and posted to your base before you get a cleaning done.

Fireball said:
I'd go civvie dentist. 
Only to have to pay the bill and then followed by disciplinary and/or administrative action? Seriously, not the advice to give anyone!!!

Side note, why is this under Administration and not under the Dental Services board? http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,81.0.html

I'm sorry.  I may have missed some sort of memo.  A CF member "cannot" go to a Civvie dentist?  It's been a long time since I left the service but I don't remember the CF punishing someone for using Civvies for routine medical care.  I can understand that the CF won't pay for it (assuming your on base with a CF Dentist) but paying out of pocket shouldn't be an offence.  Perhaps CF dental care is on par with Civvie dental care now.  My wife just went to the dentist and they are using lasers for teeth cleaning now (supposedly better than metallic picks) - does the CF dentist have access to this equipment?

J

I think you missed a lot more than a memo.
Since you were a reservist, and not covered unless on a full time call out (180 days Class B or on Class C, IIRC) you would have been allowed to go the the civilian dentist, in fact, that would be all you were entitled to.  However, Reg F pers are only allowed to use civilian dental or medical care in the case of an emergency after normal working hours.  Some places may have an on-call doctor or dentist.

As far as our dental care being "on par" with the civilians:  Who cares?  It's free!

The majority of Dental Officers I know here in Kingston work evenings and weekends at the local civi clinics. Although they may not have the "neatest and newest" tools - they have what they need to get the job done.

The military Dentists took my wisdom teeth out - and I had much better pain control and follow up then most of my civi friends who went through a similar situation.

Now as a civi with DND, I am only covered for cleanings every 9 mos.

muffin

Fireball said:
My wife just went to the dentist and they are using lasers for teeth cleaning now (supposedly better than metallic picks) - does the CF dentist have access to this equipment?

My last cleaning the hygenist used an ultrasonic cleaning thingy

There is no problem using a civilian dentist on your own time and paying for it yourself.  CF has little control over this if this is what you want to do.

But the following applies...

QR&O 19.18 - CONCEALMENT OF DISEASE

An officer or non-commissioned member who is suffering or suspects he is suffering from a disease shall without delay report himself sick.

Thus...

If you think you have a dental problem (a cavity, trench mouth, pain, or any other of the bothersome dental problems) you MUST report yourself to dental sick parade and be seen by a CFDS Officer. 

The same would apply if you went to a civilian dentist for a "cleaning, check-up, or whatever floats your boat" and he goes... "hmmm I think you have TMJ, periodontal disease, etc" then you MUST report yourself to a CF Dental Sick Parade. 

Food for thought.  The CFDS is a very professional service, with more often than not top rate dentists in my experience. 

Cheers,

MC

Back