• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Deployed without security clearance

X-mo-1979

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Today after returning to work from post deployment I was greeted with the normal file folders.However what really disturbed me was the contents inside that file folder.It was our security upgrade forums from confidential to secret submitted prior to being deployed on TF 03-08.The RP section gave them back to the unit OR and we did not get our upgrade prior to deployment.The thing that got me the worse was the guy who corrected the forums instead of writing in a postal code for one of our past employment area's he drew arrows from the missing to the rest all 8 instead of writing 3 letters and three numbers.Just FYI it was the address of DND which we were not sure on.

Now I do agree that yeah we messed up and didn't fill it out correctly.However we were also told we had to upgrade to secret prior to deployment. And one persons being a stickler (Pte Cpl at the RP office) my guys and I didn't get our appropriate clearance.

After sitting through briefings classified secret,and being told to leave if we were not (in pet as all in theater should have been) I'm looking for any COA I should take to ENSURE this doesn't happen to anyone else.Or if I should just blow it off. I don't wanna go to my SSM half cocked looking to hang someone and plan on dealing with it tomorrow.

Any advice?

I attended 2 courses that required Level 3 without actualy having it. My clearance took over 2 years and there as no way the AF was going to have me sit around and wait. They were happy with 'in progress".

Simple fact is that even with a clearance, everyone is on a need-to-know basis and the OSA means that clearance or not...you are to STFU.

My security clearance has been "expired" since 2006.  New clearances have a higher priority than upgrades or updates.  As far as the person not filling in the postal code, that's not their job.

BTW, security clearances do not really expire, mine just hasn't been updated.

Note to all:  When you do fill out the forms, KEEP A COPY for yourself.

PMedMoe said:
BTW, security clearances do not really expire, mine just hasn't been updated.

:) where do you get that from?
anxious to see a reference...

where I work, if your clearance expires you loose access to the office.

cheers,
Frank

PanaEng said:
:) where do you get that from?
anxious to see a reference...

where I work, if your clearance expires you loose access to the office.

cheers,
Frank

From Chapter 36 of the National Defence Security Instructions:

36.02    The GSP establishes the elements of the background inquiry which must be conducted as a minimum at each level of security clearance or reliability check (see Annex A). The DND application of this requirement is detailed commencing at paragraph 22.49. The information collected is to be updated at least once every five years for a Canadian level III (Top Secret) security clearance, and once every ten years for levels I and II (Confidential and Secret) clearances, or more frequently, if required, for cause, while the clearance is in effect. Initial or updating background inquiries will only be conducted once the subject of the inquiries has authorized, in writing, the disclosure of relevant personal information by the custodians of such information.

Once a clearance is granted, after the 10 or 5 year time frame is up, the clearance is flagged for renewal. This means that the information that was initially collected when the clearance was granted, needs to be re-collected. Thus, you need to re-submit your application. Once received by DPM Secur 2, they may or may not decide to process this new information. Their priority is on the processing of new applications however, and as they are rather understaffed. In addition, once you have been granted a clearance, the only person who can revoke said clearance is either the DM or the CDS, depending on if you are Mil or Civ.

Also from Chapt 36:

Denial of access

36.29      DND security clearances shall only be denied, suspended or revoked by the DM or the CDS. When the NDHQ/DPM Secur 2/Security Clearance Section, or a commander or manager who has responsibility for classified information, receives information that casts doubt on the suitability of a security cleared individual to have access to classified assets, they shall take immediate and appropriate steps to deny that individual access to classified matter until the information can be corroborated or assessed and doubts resolved, or until the case is processed for a denial of clearance decision. The denial of access is a precautionary interim step, and shall not be construed as a denial, revocation or suspension of a security clearance. Such interim steps shall not be used to initiate career action of any kind.

Thus, when your supervisor discovers that your clearance has been flagged for renewal, this can be construed as "information that casts doubt on the suitability of a security cleared individual to have access to classified assets," and you can lose access to your office. However, once your information has been re-submitted, your clearance is once again valid.

It remains valid until such time as DPM Secur 2 takes a look at your file, and decides that you no longer qualify for said clearance. They will take steps to restrict your access to classified materials (Again, barring you from the office), as they raise the issue up through the chain of command, to the CDS/DM. It is only once the CDS/DM have had a chance to look at it, and agree that you no longer deserve your clearance, that it is officially revoked, and only then can career steps be taken to remove you from your position.

Thank you, gcclarke. 

PanaEng, I'd love to be kicked out of my office.  Tell me where to sign up.  ;)

Seriously, my security clearance has not been updated since the info was sent in Aug 2006, nearly three years ago.  That doesn't mean I don't have clearance any more.

Also, having clearances revoked is taken very seriously.  Normally, they will limit the person at the unit level until such time as the incident is cleared or the clearance needs to be revoked.  The reason being is once revoked, the clearance is extremely difficult to get back, particularly at the higher security levels.

PMedMoe:  I sent my info back in Aug 2006 as well, and they didn't even touch my file yet.  I guess they're busy.

Thanks for the ref. I guess I could have looked that up myself.
There are slight differences depending on where you work - I think CSE, CSIS and  RCMP have a bit more strict interpretation of the law and their own admin procedures.
(sorry, can't look it up now).

Of course, I always scoffed at the notion that just because a date passed you are suddenly a risk :)

cheers,
Frank

PanaEng said:
Thanks for the ref. I guess I could have looked that up myself.
There are slight differences depending on where you work - I think CSE, CSIS and  RCMP have a bit more strict interpretation of the law and their own admin procedures.
(sorry, can't look it up now).

Of course, I always scoffed at the notion that just because a date passed you are suddenly a risk :)

cheers,
Frank

Well, that was from the National Defence Security Instructions, so other policies will apply in other governmental departments. ... And CSE is of course free to develop their own, more stringent policies. They may technically fall under the Defence Minister, but as far as I can tell, for almost all intents and purposes, they act independent from the rest of DND.

If I recall correctly, the wording of the Government Security Policy only mandates that access to classified information is to be restricted to personnel with a clearance. To a great extent, it leaves it up to the departments to decide how to go about that.

Back