• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Deployment and financial benefits.

MasterInstructor

Inactive
Reaction score
There is a chance that I might be getting deployed to Mediterranean with one of HMCS. I am aware of certain danger pay and tax benefits. Question is do when do these benefits kick in.

Do we start getting these benefits once we leave home port or when we are in the area?

Do we still get these benefits when we are doing foreign port visits in the area?

Do these benefits calculated literally day by day? As far as I know, danger pay is a monthly rate?

What is the official name of danger pay? Is it "SPECIAL OPERATIONS ALLOWANCE"?  That is the closest thing I found.

This is going to my first, I am quite nervous and excited! Looking forward to it and hopefully I will get to go!

cheers
Thanks 

Obvious question: couldn't you ask your orderly room?

MasterInstructor said:
Question is do when do these benefits kick in.

Probably when you get into the AO. That's how it works for tours.

I differ to the advice below though -

Scott said:

Regards

Mod note - moving this to the Navy boards.

The Army.ca Staff

Scott said:
I agree, that would be nice, however it is Christmas leave for OR staff,  reduced manning, Christmas  holidays and people live off base.  Not to mention gas money, time, traffic and parking. In the old days it was in uniform or dressed appropriate. Thank God for the internet and embrace it. Utilize available resources.
So I think to toss it out there and maybe a SME could be surfing or a regular visitor, and provide some positive insight all while sitting in your jammies in front of the fireplace.
Happy and healthy New Year.

mad dog 2020 said:
I agree, that would be nice, however it is Christmas leave for OR staff,  reduced manning, Christmas  holidays and people live off base.  Not to mention gas money, time, traffic and parking. In the old days it was in uniform or dressed appropriate. Thank God for the internet and embrace it. Utilize available resources.
So I think to toss it out there and maybe a SME could be surfing or a regular visitor, and provide some positive insight all while sitting in your jammies in front of the fireplace.
Happy and healthy New Year.

Tel----eph----one ;)

but your point's made.

MasterInstructor said:
Do we start getting these benefits once we leave home port or when we are in the area?

Once you enter the designated operations area. 

Do these benefits calculated literally day by day? As far as I know, danger pay is a monthly rate?

Although expressed as a monthly rate, it will be broken down to the day should a month be incomplete.

What is the official name of danger pay?

Risk Allowance.

This is going to my first,

Good opportunity for you to read up on this stuff when you get back to work. Remember that you are in the Med and OP MOBILE is over. If you are on ACTIVE ENDEVOUR, don't expect to max out on the risk allowance.

Does anybody know the risk and hardship level for HMCS Charlottetown on OP Active Endeavour ?

I haven't been able to find Op Metric/Active Endeavour on the DBCA site that lists all the HA/RA levels, and it wasn't listed in the recent update that was done this summer.

I looked there as well... I was able to find HMCS Vancouver deployment brief which had numbers for OP Mobile but i am sure the levels have decreased since then....

Back