• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Depression in Reserves-Journalist Looking for Sources

Jodi/Journalist

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a journalist working on a magazine article called Heroes at Risk that looks at the rates of depression in reserve soldiers. I'd like to interview a Canadian reservist who has been diagnosed with depression and is willing to share their story. I know there is still a lot of stigma surrounding depression in the military and I'm hoping this article will help others. If you'd like to speak with me for the article, please get in touch. I can be reached at jodi@jodihelmer.com.

Thank you,
Jodi

Like many who frequent this forum, I am usually suspicious of journalists seeking input for prospective articles, particularly when the subject matter has embarassment potential for both the organization and individuals serving.  In order for pers to make a better informed decision to cooperate, here is some additional info about this writer.

http://www.jodihelmer.com/about.htm

Blackadder thanks for the link.  Ms. Helmer you were frank about identifying yourself and your intentions here and for that full marks. As noted there may be some skepticism and reluctance in persons discussing this with you either in the forums or by other means (PM, e mail etc), something as a journalist I'm sure you may have experienced before.

Please remember that this site is a private unofficial one and in no way connected with the Canadian Forces, Department of National Defence and/or the Government of Canada. As such anything said here is the personal opinions of those concerned.

Finally to the rest of the site members, if you choose to contribute or participate, fine. Should you choose not to also ok, but let's try and keep the off topic and juvenile antics to a minimum. It stands without reason the D/S will be watching this thread.

STAFF

Thanks for the responses; I understand there is skepticism/fear around talking to a journalist about such a sensitive topic. As you can see by the link Blackadder provided, I am a reputable reporter who has written for national publications. I believe this is an important topic and I'm hopeful that writing about it will help others. If anyone is interested in speaking with me, I'm happy to offer some anonymity in the article, using only first names. I'm also willing to share other articles I've written for the magazine to give you an idea of how I approach mental health topics. If you would prefer not to post here, you can get in touch with me directly through the e-mail address on my website. I hope to hear from someone.

Thank you,
Jodi

Ms. Helmer, like Danjanou, I congratulate you for your frankness about your purpose in visiting this forum.  On the other hand, if you had been less that forthright you would have been quickly uncovered and reviled on these means, so maybe this will serve as an example of how journalists should conduct themselves when they seek information here.

While I don't want to interfere with your work, I am curious about the focus of your prospective article.  Judging from the details on your website you are an American (not that there's anything wrong with that), living in the USA and have mainly written for publications that, while some may be available in Canada, are primarily aimed at the American market.  Therefore, I wondered why you would be dealing with a "Canadian" subject or will it be incidental to an examination of depression in the US military.

Many here are frequently frustrated by the seeming ignorance of journalists about matters military; this would include organization, day to day routine and liability/requirement to serve.  In the case of a comparison between Canadian and American reservists there are significant differences.  Hopefully, you have already researched these details.

Blackadder,

I'm a Canadian living in the U.S. (I was born and raised in the suburbs of Toronto, went to university in Ontario and still travel "home" several times a year to see my family, who all still live in the Toronto area). I do write primarily for U.S. publications because, to be honest, there are more of them. The magazine I'm writing this article for is called esperanza (their website is www.hopetocope.com). It's a magazine for people who are living with depression. The magazine is widely distributed in the U.S. and Canada and to ensure both countries are represented in the articles, I include a balance of Canadian and American sources.

I promise that I'm not looking to exploit anyone; my goal is to open dialogue about the issue, highlight some of the challenges faced by Reservists, offer resources for support (including military and civilian programs) and share the stories of others so that soldiers who are living with depression know that they're not alone.

I hope that helps answer your questions.

Jodi

Ms Helmer, if when this is completed published please provide a link or other details. I for one would like to read it.

Have passed the link to a friend of mine who may be willing to talk to you.

I promise to post a link when it publishes this fall.

Redeye: Thanks for passing along the info.

The 48th: No, the depression doesn't need to be attributable to service. I'm looking for soldiers (both men and women) currently in the Reserves who have depression, even if it's not service related. I hope that helps.

Jodi

Jodi/Journalist said:
I promise to post a link when it publishes this fall.

Redeye: Thanks for passing along the info.

The 48th: No, the depression doesn't need to be attributable to service. I'm looking for soldiers (both men and women) currently in the Reserves who have depression, even if it's not service related. I hope that helps.

Jodi

It does, thank you.

dileas

tess

Back