• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Developmental Periods for Combat Engineers

pfinlayson

Inactive
Reaction score
So, I've been in to talk with the recruiter for the 192 CEF regarding entry as PRes Construction Tech.  It is exactly what I want out of training, EXCEPT BMQ apparently takes a full 13 weeks for Air Reserve.  Read: potential deal breaker for a husband with two young children.  So here to more exploration on my second choice:  Combat Engineer with the 6 FES in North Vancouver.

While I am still planning on going in to talk to the  6 FES as soon as I am back in town (I am finishing a project WAY on the other side of the Fraser Valley), I am wondering about the training for the DP1 (I know the BMQ/SQ part) and DP2.  I have found the excellent info under "Recruiting" on Infantry, and am hoping for something brief that goes in the same direction.  What happens for Combat Engineers at BIQ level, and so on?

Thanks.

Just to clarify, BIQ = Basic Infantry Qualification(DP1 Inf course). Only pers going into the Infantry do it, all other trades do their respective QL3/DP1 course.

Anyways, this is what is covered on the QL3 Combat Engineer Course
from
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/89570.0

Harder than BMQ/SQ.

You need to have upper body strength, as you will do lots of push-ups and heavy lifting.

The course consists of the following material (not all is applicable to the PRes.)

110. Participate in infantry operations.
111. Operate engineer tools.
112. Participate in troop level live demolition operation.
113. Participate as a member of an Explosive Ordnance Clearance (EOC) Team.
114. Participate in explosive breaching operations.
115. Participate in search operations.
116. Participate in Force Protection operations.
117. Participate in obstacle breaching and clearance operations.
118. Participate in engineer support assault crossing operations.
119. Participate in crossing site operations.
120. Participate in construction/teardown of support bridges.
121. Participate in live mine operations.
122. Participate in defensive operations.
123. Participate in maintenance of combat roads.
124. Participate in battle simulation operations.

I'm sure someone will be here soon to say which of the above POs are not in the Reserve course.

Thanks for the link.  The names seem to change on a regular basis. 

All the Combat Engineer Squadrons in BC were amalgamated into 39 CER... that means 44 FES in Trail, 54 FES in Chilliwack and 6 FES in North Van. So my suggestion would be contact Chilliwack if your on the other side of the valley... they are the same regiment and would have the info you are looking for.

For Engineers:

DP 1 includes the following:

BMQ, SQ and, Section Member Course

DP 2 includes:

Section 2I/C Course and PLQ

DP 3 includes:

Section Commander Course, Recce Ops, Troop Warrant and, ILQ

PRes Sect Member Course is done in two ways:

1) Mods 1-7: 2 weeks each =  95 calendar days (for example: 30 May - 2 Sep 11)

2) Mods 1-4: 2 weeks each = approx 53 days (27 Jul - 19 Aug) done 1 summer and;
    Mods 5-7: 2 weeks each = approx 39 days (13 Jun - 22 Jul) done the next summer.

Both types of courses are run each year.

Wook

Where does training take place?  I'm in the Vancouver area, and assume BMQ happens locally.  Does SQ go local, too?  Am I right in thinking Section Member and beyond are in Gagetown?

All technical courses are taught at CFSME in Gagetown.

As for the more generic Army courses, they could be taught almost anywhere (with the larger training Bases more common i.e. SQ in Wainwright, Shilo, Meaford etc).

Wook

pfinlayson said:
Where does training take place?  I'm in the Vancouver area, and assume BMQ happens locally.  Does SQ go local, too?  Am I right in thinking Section Member and beyond are in Gagetown?

Wookilar said:
All technical courses are taught at CFSME in Gagetown.

As for the more generic Army courses, they could be taught almost anywhere (with the larger training Bases more common i.e. SQ in Wainwright, Shilo, Meaford etc).

Wook

That being said CFSME has exported MOD 1 of Sect Member to the units to teach and in the past a serial of the Recce Ops was exported to St. Thomas...

NFLD Sapper said:
For Engineers:

DP 1 includes the following:

BMQ, SQ and, Section Member Course

DP 2 includes:

Section 2I/C Course and PLQ

DP 3 includes:

Section Commander Course, Recce Ops, Troop Warrant and, ILQ

Thanks.

How do these levels equate with MOC Qualification and QL?  I understand that once QL1 was being sworn in.  Where would that sit now?

Sect Mbr = QL3
PCF courses (driver wheel, track, MG, comms, etc) = QL4
2IC = QL5A
PLQ = QL5B (old CLC)
Sect Comd = QL6A
Recce Ops = QL6B Pt 1
Tp WO = QL6B Pt 2
ILQ = part of the old SLC
ALQ = second part of the old SLC

The SLC bits may be a bit off as the course changed prior to me getting anywhere near it, however, while I was at NCMPDC on ILQ, that was how it was explained to me...

*Edit to add QL4 courses, although I cannot remember the last time I heard one of the PCF courses being called QL4 in a Regt...

Back