• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DIN browsing tips?

DirtyDog

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm new to the DIN and given the slow computers we have at BN, and that there isn't a whole lot of time to sit on them during the day (despite being kinda quiet right now), I'm hoping for some browsing tips and guidance.

I'm mostly interested in finding pams and reference materials or any other material that will help refresh and educate me on the various things I should/want to know.  I've heard the DIN can be somewhat of a pain to navigate and would like to go in with a little bit of knowledge.

Thanks

Usually, when I need to find something at work, I use Google and select "pages from Canada".  It works pretty good, unless you are looking for an electronic form, then your OR can help you.  If you know the number of the manual you are looking for, use that for your search.  The DIN's search function sucks!  ::)

This thread has links to some references.  Most of them are available through the internet as well, which allows you to browse on your own time if you are finding speed a factor on the computer at work.

As well, most units have a home page which should/might come up when you first open explorer through the DIN.  On this, they will have other links to admin items such as forms, routine orders, Canforgens, employment opportunities etc.  As Moe said, the search function on the DIN is not user friendly.  You can get some things, but surfing the DIN is very much trial and error.  Just be sure to bookmark things as you find them, because it is often by luck that you found it and you might not recall how you got there!

http://imgapp.mil.ca/DFC2/DFC_Main.asp?strLang=e

This link is damned handy to find any E-version of a DND form.  You can search by title or form number.

DND search engines suck.
Google will find pert much everything I am looking for.
If all else fails, then and only then will I consider using the DIN search engine.

Back