• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Direct Entry Officer (DEO) questions [Merged]

therickiness said:
Ok, I am on my knees. :p

Keep it up and we'll go from pissed off "old army guy" to pissed off Directing Staff. consider this your one freebie.

therickiness said:
Ok, I am on my knees. :p

You have a great attitude that will carry you well through BMOQ and Phase training...  :facepalm:

Blackadder1916 said:
If the CF needs the individual or if the individual wants to stay for the full nine years (and he is deemed acceptable to stay for that period of time) then he can stay and on completion of that period of service he will receive some additional benefits for having so served.  According to present policy, if the individual wants to leave before completion of his VIE, he can request voluntary release IAW CFAO 15-2 and in most circumstances his request will be approved.

Not being in the reg force, generally what are some of the additional benefits to completing one's full TOS/VIE?  Are these mostly related to employer and employee pension contributions?

PuckChaser said:
You have a great attitude that will carry you well through BMOQ and Phase training...  :facepalm:

Ya think  8)

therickiness said:
dental officer is boring (no offense), I cant think anything short of combat arms as being the full army package.

therickiness said:
Agree not worth it. I took the test while in high school and passed for officers for this year. I was pretty stoned in high school. XD I am sure you're brighter than me in HS.

Snakedoc said:
Not being in the reg force, generally what are some of the additional benefits to completing one's full TOS/VIE?  Are these mostly related to employer and employee pension contributions?

One key benefit is an IPR move.  An individual who releases before completing their VIE will generally not receive a paid move to their intended place of release.

Pension contributions are unaffected.

Snakedoc said:

As already noted a paid move to IPR remains the primary benefit.  At one time, (and probably still of benefit to the odd soul who enrolled prior to 1 June 2003 and is still on a fixed period of service) the other main financial benefit was the gratituity paid to officers (only officers, not NCMs) who completed a fixed period of service (in years past known variously as SSE, SE . . .and now VIE).  Do not confuse it with the Reserve Force Retirement Gratuity.  The calculation of the gratuity was a bit complicated, but in essence was one month pay (plus $9) for each year of service completed (so the base amount for completing a 12 year fixed period of service was a year's pay).  The complicated part are additional rules that determined what years (if any) were not counted and the amount that was abated.  The abatement was generally the amount of the return of CFSA pension contributions and interest (and severence pay?).    The gratuity could be a nice piece of change.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pub/cbi-dra/206-eng.asp

I am currently taking college courses to receive a business diploma. I am aware that I need a degree to go through the DEO route to become an officer. My plan is to finish college and enroll in the CGA ( certified general accountant) program; and take correspondence courses to obtain a H.B.Com (Honours Bachelor of Commerce) degree from Laurentian University at the same time. A recruiter told me while I am going to school I can serve as an Officer cadet on the Reserve, after I graduate I will be transferred to the regular force.

Does this sound like an feasible plan? My question is whether a H.B.Com degree will meet the requirement.

Hope someone can give me some useful tips.
Thanks

FeiL said:
I am currently taking college courses to receive a business diploma. I am aware that I need a degree to go through the DEO route to become an officer. My plan is to finish college and enroll in the CGA ( certified general accountant) program; and take correspondence courses to obtain a H.B.Com (Honours Bachelor of Commerce) degree from Laurentian University at the same time. A recruiter told me while I am going to school I can serve as an Officer cadet on the Reserve, after I graduate I will be transferred to the regular force.

Does this sound like an feasible plan? My question is whether a H.B.Com degree will meet the requirement.

Hope someone can give me some useful tips.
Thanks

There is no automatic transfer form the reserves to the regular force. You join one or the other. To move form the one to the other is a long, painful, labourious process. Do not EVER assume that because you get into one you can easily or automatically go to the other.

Someone more familiar than I will be along at some point to sort you out further.

I think you're getting the entry plans (or the recruiter's intent) confused.  DEO is for applicants already possessing a degree to join the Reg Force directly.  In your case, what the recruiter may have been suggesting is joining as a Reserve Officer during the H. B. Comm portion of your schooling, although as Brihard said, transferring between the two (Reserve and Reg Force) is neither easy nor guaranteed. 

Judging from the info here, the best way is to just wait until you've finished the degree, then join as a DEO.  As for your question about whether a B.Comm is enough, it will depend on the trade you want but for most, yes.

Thanks for the advices!
My bad I did not express it clearly. I meant that I could serve as a cadet while I am working on my degree.
I was just wonder whether an honours degree is equivalent to a regular degree, ??? because taking one or other would make significant changes in my future plans. I would like to make sure of it now. Health care Admin would be the trade that I will likely pick.

FeiL said:
. . . . . A recruiter told me while I am going to school I can serve as an Officer cadet on the Reserve, after I graduate I will be transferred to the regular force.
FeiL said:
. . . . . Health care Admin would be the trade that I will likely pick.

While it is "possible" to serve in the reserves as an Officer Cadet while you are attending post-secondary education, it is not an absolute.  First you must find a reserve unit that will accept you; not all may be amenable to having you as an OCdt while in school.  Some units may prefer to select potential officers from already serving NCMs or DEOs who already meet the education requirements for the occupation.  In choosing a unit since your stated preference of trade is HCA, you would have to be in one of the 14 Canadian Forces Health Services (CFHS) Primary Reserve units (the locations can be found here).  As you intend to do your commerce degree at Laurentian, I make the assumption (perhaps in error) that you are located in the Sudbury area (or otherwise in Northern Ontario); are you able to commute to Thunder Bay, which is the location of the only reserve field ambulance in N.O.

FeiL said:
I was just wonder whether an honours degree is equivalent to a regular degree, ???

I have an honours degree, it was treated just like any university degree on my application.  I believe the difference is that an honours degree is a 4 year program and a general degree is only 3 years, but that may have just been my university's way of labeling different degrees.

Does anybody know if it is possible to apply for DEO with a master's degree but no bachelor's? The recruiting website just says university degree which I always assumed meant a bachelor's degree but does it actually?

If you have gone through a program that is designed to have you finish with a master's, it should be understood that the components of the bachelor's degree are mostly built into the program. With that being said, I can't imagine you would have any issue with an application for DEO.

Cheers

What they are looking for is academic "transcripts from your highest level of education".  If they need anything else, they will let you know...

If your program was Canadian you're probably ok since the bachelor's degree requirements were probably done within the context of the degree but if it's from another country you might want to double check to make sure it's internationally recognized if you haven't done that already.

If its an international degree, the CFRC will ask for a report from an agency like WES, to determine it's Canadian equivalent. 

I don't have a bachelor's degree at all and it was not included as part of the master's program. I was allowed to enroll in a master's program because I had relevant work experience. Is not having the bachelors going to present a problem?

First time I hear of a Master's Degree without a Bachelor's. Pretty interesting. It looks like quite a unique situation that most people probably don't have a ready answer for, other than a speculation. Your very best bet in my opinion: phone a Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre and ask. Why not? All phone numbers on www.forces.ca/

Back