• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Direct Entry Officer (DEO) questions [Merged]

Vlad621 said:
I don't have a bachelor's degree at all and it was not included as part of the master's program. I was allowed to enroll in a master's program because I had relevant work experience. Is not having the bachelors going to present a problem?

My suggestion.....apply now and see what happens!  The application asks for the "highest level of education obtained".  While gaining a masters without a bachelors is possible in some areas, it is just something that is not often seen.

Hello everyone:

I am currently studying engineering at a civilian university. I will be entering the final year of my program beginning this spring. I once spoke to someone who is currently serving in the Navy about applying as a DEO and they mentioned that it might be possible to have the CAF reimburse me for the tuition expenses I incurred over the past few years. I am aware that there may exist an opportunity to apply now and to potentially have my remaining one year of tuition paid for, however I am more interested in applying once I graduate.

Could anyone confirm or deny that a complete tuition reimbursement is possible? Additionally, if such an option is available, is there a time limit in which I must submit an application either pre- or post-graduation?

Thank you.

Kevin26 said:
Hello everyone:

I am currently studying engineering at a civilian university. I will be entering the final year of my program beginning this spring. I once spoke to someone who is currently serving in the Navy about applying as a DEO and they mentioned that it might be possible to have the CAF reimburse me for the tuition expenses I incurred over the past few years. I am aware that there may exist an opportunity to apply now and to potentially have my remaining one year of tuition paid for, however I am more interested in applying once I graduate.

Could anyone confirm or deny that a complete tuition reimbursement is possible? Additionally, if such an option is available, is there a time limit in which I must submit an application either pre- or post-graduation?

Thank you.

I am sure that you will soon find that your source was very ill-informed.

George Wallace said:
I am sure that you will soon find that your source was very ill-informed.

It did sound a little too good to be true. Thank you very much!

Was told the same thing by an older recruiter. I asked another recruiter the next day on how I should go about getting it done and he laughed at me as if it was something I came up with :facepalm:

Kevin26 said:
Hello everyone:

Thank you.

Certain trades used to have a signing bonus, $40K for engineering trades for example.... That has been discontinued 5-6 years ago.

Do Medical and Legal Officers still receive signing bonuses?

Cui said:
Do Medical and Legal Officers still receive signing bonuses?

Every year, the list of occupations that are eligible for any kind of signing bonus (and what the criteria are to receive said bonus) are typically promulgated in a CANFORGEN. 

The latest I've heard of signing bonuses was on my course in 2009, we had 2 individuals that received money for joining, both were specific engineers and since that point I believe both have VR'd/failed their trade courses.

Many will be surprised to discover that this is not so much fiction as it would seem.  While this may not be current practice, it has been done before.  If you approach the CFRC at year 3 of university - they were known to have offered you an offer of employment and pick up your tuition bill for your last year.  The benefit being that the CF would have you in the system upon graduation and get you going down your career path.  Just because the latest batch of staff at your CFRC have never heard of such a thing - does not make it fiction.

Zoomie said:
Many will be surprised to discover that this is not so much fiction as it would seem.  While this may not be current practice, it has been done before.  If you approach the CFRC at year 3 of university - they were known to have offered you an offer of employment and pick up your tuition bill for your last year.  The benefit being that the CF would have you in the system upon graduation and get you going down your career path.  Just because the latest batch of staff at your CFRC have never heard of such a thing - does not make it fiction.

Not the same as REIMBURSEMENT though, and I believe it was/is an option allowing for pers at Civvie U to finish their Degree under the ROTP program.  I have never heard of anyone going DEO and having their studies for a COMPLETED Degree reimbursed.  As was mentioned previously, there were times that certain 'red' Trades were offering Signing Bonuses to attract qualified candidates, but again, that was not a "reimbursement" of tuition.

George Wallace said:
Not the same as REIMBURSEMENT though, and I believe it was/is an option allowing for pers at Civvie U to finish their Degree under the ROTP program.  I have never heard of anyone going DEO and having their studies for a COMPLETED Degree reimbursed.  As was mentioned previously, there were times that certain 'red' Trades were offering Signing Bonuses to attract qualified candidates, but again, that was not a "reimbursement" of tuition.

Couldn't have said it any better!    "Reimbursement" is possible but as mentioned, you need to apply ROTP and such a scenario will generally NOT happen, unless your applying for an Officer Occupation which has had difficulty attracting applicants.  I saw a bunch of them awhile back but can't remember what occupation they were for.

I am currently halfway through my last year at a Canadian university and would like to know when would be the best time to apply for direct entry to an officer program. I wish to finish my bachelors degree but am anxious to join the forces as soon as possible.

What would be the best course of action in my position?

Thank you in advance for your time.

:cdn:

No one here can answer that for you...........we don't "know" your situation.
If you spend time reading this site you will learn things that may help you though.
Bruce
army.ca staff

Let me reword my question. Is there a better or worse time to send an application to join the forces? Do prospective officers tend to send out their applications ahead of time, or once they've finished their educational program?

PMedMoe said:
Might be some info here.  See reply #13.
Thank you, this helps a lot! I will speak to my recruiter about this possibility and will probably send my application as soon as possible.

Cheers!

Fros7bite said:
Let me reword my question. Is there a better or worse time to send an application to join the forces? Do prospective officers tend to send out their applications ahead of time, or once they've finished their educational program?

If you are still in school, I would suggest that you apply now.  There is no good time is now, the bad time is later.......

Direct Entry Officer (DEO)  -  As a minimum, applicants to the Regular Force must have an undergraduate degree in a suitable discipline. A student currently in the final year of a degree program is also eligible to apply as a DEO.

Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting on the forum. After thinking about joining the Canadian Forces for a while, I have decided that a career in the Canadian Forces will be a great opportunity for me to apply what I learned during university.

I will be graduating from university with a double-major in Political Science and International Relations in April 2014.

MY QUESTION: What will determine my pay increment as a DEO?

For instance, I have attended university for 5 years because of my double major. I have done extensive part-time research work with my professors. Also (and please, I'm not trying to brag or pomp myself up), I have received several high distinctions and awards during my undergraduate studies. Will this help me start at a higher pay increment?

I ask this for two reasons:

First, I remember that in the past, there were individuals with three-year BAs who started at the basic pay increment.

Second, I do have a decent amount of student loans. It would certainly help to know what my pay increment would be (assuming that the CF hopefully accepts me) in order to plan my finances a little ahead.

Thank you very much!

VigilamusProTe said:
For instance, I have attended university for 5 years because of my double major. I have done extensive part-time research work with my professors. Also (and please, I'm not trying to brag or pomp myself up), I have received several high distinctions and awards during my undergraduate studies. Will this help me start at a higher pay increment?

No.

Back