• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Directives to military chaplains urge expunging God, religion from Remembrance Day, public ceremonies

So strippers can't be patriotic??
No doubt they can, but they're generally not the owners of the business, and yes, the owner's can be patriotic, but given the overwhelming connection between strip joints and organized crime, it's not a great association for a Legion to make. However, I will assume that the issue didn't run that deeply; just a decision that they needed to limit the lengthening parade of wreaths at ceremonies. It's not a matter of patriotism. Busty's Stallion Ranch can still buy and place a wreath, just not during the ceremony.

This was our first at our new location. A little bit more theology than we were used to, but the world is safe - no CAF padres. I sat through a few prayers and readings and, surprisingly, didn't burst into flames. Timing of the proceedings was a little questionable. Clearly, herding-of-the-cats gremlins were at work.

No doubt they can, but they're generally not the owners of the business, and yes, the owner's can be patriotic, but given the overwhelming connection between strip joints and organized crime, it's not a great association for a Legion to make. However, I will assume that the issue didn't run that deeply; just a decision that they needed to limit the lengthening parade of wreaths at ceremonies. It's not a matter of patriotism. Busty's Stallion Ranch can still buy and place a wreath, just not during the ceremony.

This was our first at our new location. A little bit more theology than we were used to, but the world is safe - no CAF padres. I sat through a few prayers and readings and, surprisingly, didn't burst into flames. Timing of the proceedings was a little questionable. Clearly, herding-of-the-cats gremlins were at work.
Seen..

Timing of the proceedings was a little questionable. Clearly, herding-of-the-cats gremlins were at work.
The strict 1100 timing has often been honoured more in the breach than in the observance. Once I formed up for the base service on Simonds Parade Square in Petawawa — participants were anyone who didn’t get tasked to get on a bus to one of the Ottawa Valley towns. The weather was miserable, the parade commander started early, and we were done and off parade in time to watch the national Ottawa ceremony live on TV from the Kyrenia Club.

I've got to say, I didn't notice anything different this year.

Edit to add: you can watch the main ceremony from Ottawa on youtube; the Padre's remarks start around 1:09. The standin for the departed Rabbi is at 1:27 ish.

My local service started after the legion parade arrived...at 1110. I was thinking "hey - you had one job...". but shrugged it off. Stood through the Mayor's speech which was very good, last post and reveille which was very hard this year, and then Reveille hit me even hard.er Listened to the poems from the cadets, and as soon as the priest started priesting, I left, as much to gather myself as anything else.

Last year I had a private moment 1100 (the service in town had been held on the weekend prior), by a river. On the whole it was better, as I was able to release some emotions.

I think that will be my way ahead from herein

My local service started after the legion parade arrived...at 1110. I was thinking "hey - you had one job...". but shrugged it off. Stood through the Mayor's speech which was very good, last post and reveille which was very hard this year, and then Reveille hit me even hard.er Listened to the poems from the cadets, and as soon as the priest started priesting, I left, as much to gather myself as anything else.

Last year I had a private moment 1100 (the service in town had been held on the weekend prior), by a river. On the whole it was better, as I was able to release some emotions.

I think that will be my way ahead from herein
If you are ever in Winnipeg on Remembrance Day we would be happy to take you to Woodlands Legion. A small rural Legion.

I go to the Fairview Legion usually. Pretty good service. Lots of kid involvement, in a good meaningful way. The only wreaths are the usual and they allow locals to lay crosses for their fallen family members as well, they are also announced.

It's a pretty good little service, it's pretty scratchy and off beat but it's massively attended, for the neighborhood, and the Legion really doesn't make it about them.

... Last year I had a private moment 1100 (the service in town had been held on the weekend prior), by a river. On the whole it was better, as I was able to release some emotions ...
... As to a small local service, the allure of being anonymous for a bit is strong....
At one level, since everyone's grieving process is different, there's really no "wrong" way. On a smaller scale, not being at the funeral doesn't necessarily mean you missed the departed any less.

I attended Remembrance Day ceremony at the National Cenotaph in Ottawa. I heard the Chaplain General made a rather neutral speech, no mention about God, about the service members and the Rabbi made his speech. Perhaps its just me, but I miss the Padres wearing their clergy robes and offering prayers. I'm not religious, but I did attend the United Church when I was young (mom made me go), went to the church parades while on training, and attended some field services while overseas. Seeing the Padres doing their prayers and speeches during the previous ceremonies gave me a sense of peace, comfort and familiarity. I can understand the need for being inclusive. The majority of Canadians do not identify themselves as religious and hence we are where we are, but ... I felt that I lost something. Anyway, I mentally said a prayer to my friends. Not much but it made me feel better

The ceremony at City Park went well. There was a prayer, but as the Bishop wasn't in the CF, he clearly had no directive as to what he could/could not say.

So, on a side note, when are we going to take the word "God" out of O Canada? :devilish:

The Padre's remarks at the ceremony I attended were focused on the significance and importance of remembrance, sacrifice, and being respectful to one another. Nothing overtly religious, however, for his final word, he snuck in a crisp Amen, before departing.

I usually go to the National War Memorial, I live right here, in downtown Ottawa, after all, but I arrive late, maybe 1150 Hrs and leave about the time that the Silver Cross Mother has laid her wreath ... then I go to the Mess and share a pint or two with old chums. Then. I walk home thinking that we live in a pretty great place despite it being led and managed by some pretty sh!tty people.

I don't recall that my father, a veteran and the son of veterans, ever went to a remembrance day service. And he had a lot to remember. In fact it was only a year before he died that he finally joined the Legion. He seemed to enjoy encountering soldiers when he came across them in civvy life. He certainly was overt in displaying his service with his regimental tie and Old Comrades Association lapel badge. But he was not big on organizations and events.

I think I went to more Remembrance Day services as a Sea Cadet than he did in his civvy life.

The ceremony at City Park went well. There was a prayer, but as the Bishop wasn't in the CF, he clearly had no directive as to what he could/could not say.

So, on a side note, when are we going to take the word "God" out of O Canada? :devilish:
Hopefully we will make the French version more acceptable first if we decide to go down that rabbit hole.

I usually go to the National War Memorial, I live right here, in downtown Ottawa, after all, but I arrive late, maybe 1150 Hrs and leave about the time that the Silver Cross Mother has laid her wreath ... then I go to the Mess and share a pint or two with old chums. Then. I walk home thinking that we live in a pretty great place despite it being led and managed by some pretty sh!tty people.
Speaking of which my SIL is nominating Shirl to be the National Silver Cross Mother - lets hope it works out, I would love to march once again with the Old Guard. Edward Campbell will you join me in that? Dangerboy you too

It is not wrong to just do a small town ceremony.
I've taken to going to the town next door. Maybe 100-125 people, maybe. It's where my grandson parades with his Scout Troop (laid the wreath this year). I've become adverse to large crowds and according to the local news, the ceremony here had over 2000 people this year. Even with her vest, I'd be spending all my time telling people to leave my dog alone.

It is not wrong to just do a small town ceremony.
The Executive and a few members of our branch of The Regimental association go the Chelsea Pioneer Cemetery to lay a wreath at the grave of Richard Rowland Thompson, The RCR who was awarded the Queen's Scarf for his actions in the Boer War at the battle of Paardeberg. Maybe Karen and I should join them ... but I was at the reinternment of the Unknown Soldier (my Mom was a guest) and I remember the GG saying that it was for all those with no known grave, so it, the National War Memorial, has some meaning.

Attachments

• 400020533_725825649586490_1743373381169611757_n.jpg
    400020533_725825649586490_1743373381169611757_n.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Back