• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DND 404 - Driver's Licence ( merged )

Yep...............quite correct, MP trade as with some other trades require you to have a civilian drivers licence.  Most trades however, do not.  Your 404's DOES NOT allow you to drive a civilian vehicle, only military pattern.  I dont think having a military 404 lowers your insurance rate.  Maybe taking a couple defensive drivers courses might help.  and finally, SIG OP stands for signal operator.

MP 811 said:
Your 404's DOES NOT allow you to drive a civilian vehicle, only military pattern.  

Just to add clarification, your 404's, if annotated for that type of vehicle, will allow you to drive a civilian pattern vehicle with a military licence plate (CFR).  In fact, you can't drive those without one.

in fact, you need to have the 404's to even drive a vehicle that has been rented by the CF for your use.   IE a vehicle from Budget or wherever.   That is what we always use out here, even on the base in Chilliwack, and only certain of our staff can be signed on to drive those vehicles, if you don't have your 404's then stay out from behind the wheel.

And I don't think that is just for Cadet Instructor Cadre Officers and Civilian Instructors, I think that is for everyone, though I am not sure on that.

Anyways, the Defensive Driving Course that I took was that little movie on a CD and Computer, is that the one that you guys are all talking about?   The one with the REALLY bad animation?

Just my observations.

Is there anyway that all or a portion of the 404s can be written off? I am a civilian paramedic, and have probably taken every driving safety and defensive driving course known to man or woman. As well, I have been operating ambulances of all shapes and sizes for the past 12 years. I don't intend to be driving an ML or HL, but what about the smaller vehicles?

Hello
If you have to drive for your job in the military.
You have to take the Normal tests. IE: The DIT ( Driver Information Test) The Sup Test depends on the province you are posted in. Then the DDC (Defensive Driving Course),SBC (Safe Backing Course). This is the norm for all Drivers in the system including the MSE Op's.
& then if depending on the Vehicle you will have to take a driver wheel course.(Anything green)
But for the civ pattern vehicles IE: Cars, Small Van to 9 pax & Crew Cabs they should just take you on a road test at your Unit.
This is a more of a CYA (Cover ye Arse) For the Crown. But that's it in a nuts shell. Once you see all this Trg done you'll understand why we do it LOL (As Some members have a hard time just getting to work in one piece) :salute:

Just wondering about how to renew one's 404s. Mine will be expired in the new year. Will I be required to take road tests again?? or they just issue you a new one?

pteparts said:
Just wondering about how to renew one's 404s. Mine will be expired in the new year. Will I be required to take road tests again?? or they just issue you a new one?
You will have to go to your Transport Section to have then renewed.

It depends on what your qualifications are, whether or not you require Retesting.

pteparts said:

As long as your Civic ones are good...then you should be good too. In that side... as for different items like DG... it's every 3 years to be re tested.. Air brakes is 5, I think...and DDC and SBC is 10... it's been a while since I seen the list.

nsmedicman
Once you join a Res Unit, and can prove that you have taken a DDC, by showing your card the Tpt section could write this off. But if you read Redsled reply is this the correct action for a new DND driver. Your civilian qualifications would not hold towards SMP veh amb qualifications (check CFP158.5 TD 556 for Amb qualifications). If your new unit does not hold certain vehicle you ( ie the E350/Bison Amb) will not get this qualifications.

The DDC course should be on the FMS system.. just tell them your Service number and they should be able to bring it up from Ottawa.  ;D

If the soon to be member of a Reserve Unit has done a DDC while doing his civilian employment it would not have been entered into FMS unless he has done thru the CF and has a SN or he has shown his DDC card to his Tpt section to be entered into FMS. Most likely this would be entered by the MSE Safety cell of the nearest RegF Base/ASU, as not every unit's tpt section will be given Write ability for FMS.

nsmedicman said:
Is there anyway that all or a portion of the 404s can be written off? I am a civilian paramedic, and have probably taken every driving safety and defensive driving course known to man or woman. As well, I have been operating ambulances of all shapes and sizes for the past 12 years. I don't intend to be driving an ML or HL, but what about the smaller vehicles?

No, for the reasons above, and because military vehicles have certain quirks to them not often found (or sometimes permitted) in civilian vehicles.

These include features like slave cables/adaptors, fuel fired coolant heaters, emergency air overrides, and all of the little features that so many vehicles have that you need to know.

I would hazard that you, right now, would be unable to even start an LSVW ambulance, or drive it if you could, because it has a master power switch, an unmarked starter, and a backwards e-brake. Get the picture?

Fdtrucker said:
If the soon to be member of a Reserve Unit has done a DDC while doing his civilian employment it would not have been entered into FMS unless he has done thru the CF and has a SN or he has shown his DDC card to his Tpt section to be entered into FMS. Most likely this would be entered by the MSE Safety cell of the nearest RegF Base/ASU, as not every unit's tpt section will be given Write ability for FMS.

yeah true.....I am thinking for the Service Batt. view. You make a true point.

FMS has 2 different data bases. One is the National Data Base out of Ottawa and the other is a Unit Data Base. Not everyone will be given multiple unit access, only to your UIC. Some of these units datas bases are stand alones and can not be hooked up to the National Data Base. Unit data bases that can be hooked up to the National data base are to be replicated every so often. If they were not some of your quals and specialities would not show up there. And if you ended up going on a Class B or C (or posting for a RegF mbr) you would be scrambling to get those quals and specialities fixed.

I need help with this question because I can't get a really straight answer. Hopefully I'll find one here.

First, what I need...

I am in desperate need of 404s, but I only need to be qualified on the blue fleet (crew cab, panel van, cube van). Basically, I have my eye on a posting this summer that requires them, as well as they would be handy for gaining employment at the unit.

Okay, here's what I've been told (think I know).

In order to be qualified to drive the blue fleet, all you need to obtain 404s and a qualifcation for the vechicle is; a DDC (defensive driver's course), provincial driver's license (in my case, a G license) and a road test on the vehicle. However, you can only be issued 404s in this manner if it is "within the scope of your duties."

So here is what I need to know.

How do I obtain 404s so that I can drive civy pattern vechicles that I can use both on my posting and at the unit.

I would appreciate ANY info anyone can give me on this.

maniac... have you spoken to your Transport NCO?
between him and the nice people at road safety, you should be able to get all your answers.

What you're looking for is qualification on the Commercial pattern vehicles (not blue fleet).

Road safety will make you write the Road safety exam & possibly a local exam if there is a Mil airfield in your area. DDC are offered on a periodic basis BUT are usually not given to 404 newbies.

Talking to Road Safety... I like how that sounds...

Who are these people... I'm assuming I'd find them at (in my case) ASU London??

yeah - but go thru your unit's transport section / Orderly room

even if youre a Cbt Arms unit, (im assuming 4 RCR) You should have a Transport NCO, usually an MSE Op but not always... if possible like Geo said, go through your CoC and talk to them or the orderly Room. they will be able to put you in touch with the people who can get you qualified on the civy pattern vehs.

Geo, Ive often heard of the Civilian Fleet Refered to as the Blue, or Gray Fleet. since ive heard people refer to SMP as Green Fleet. what would the accual Term "Blue Fleet" Refer to if not civilian Vehs?

Regards

Josh

Back