• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DND 404 - Driver's Licence ( merged )

Josh...
The way the CF has been buying commercial pattern vehicles - you find em in pretty much all colours - so you can't really call em blue... but I guess that Air and Navy bases might have, at one time, had "blue fleets".

We still use the term "blue fleet" for some reason.

As for getting your 404's.. you"ll need to write a DIT's test (Driver Information Test) and take a DDC. The DDC is only a two day course, so it should'nt take long. Also you"ll need a road test too. As for your civy deal.. if they are the full ones then you should be fine for that. I believe Beginner's will only let you on base only deal.

Good luck with your Transport deals...
Talk to your TN guy... I am sure he is a nice guy.
Enjoy.

Thanks Geo, I was wondering. Im sure I'm going to find out pretty soon about all the terminology since while our Resident Class B Tn NCO is away in the A-stan on tour, I'll be keeping his desk warm as the Dispatcher...  ^-^

geo said:
...you find em in pretty much all colours...

This is definatly true... Its especially prevalent in the New Cube Vans.... Nothing like a Blue Cab with a White Box... man... talk about high speed... then again, if it saves the CF a few bucks they can spend on training, then hey, Im all for it.

Regards
  Josh

My husband is currently in Borden awaiting his SQ's which start next month. His trade will be Sig Ops. He found out that he also has to go for his 404's. PROBLEM he doesn't have a civie licence, we messed up a while back, he took car #2  to work while I used car #1  to go get the insurance and licence for the 2nd car...and well of course you know the rest. He lost his licence for driving without licence and insurance..for a year and a huge fine. The suspension won't be lifted by the time he has to take his 404's and it's a huge 4000.00 fine well close to.

We mentioned this during the recruiting process and they didn't make a big deal out of it, but now that hes in Borden he's heard it through the grape vine, not officially that he has to have a civie licence. Any information I have found says they don't...but does anyone know for sure. Especially regarding his trade. And if he does...what happens next?

You need a license (they ask for it at the beginning of the 404 "course" or Defensive Driving Course)

Max

I want to disagree

We had people get 404's without a civilian licence. 

They are two different and separate licences.

Now, of course, I'd like an MESOP instructor to come in
and verify...  cause I think your wrong Max.

edit..

I've instructed on a few courses.  You do not need your civilian
licence to DRIVE DND vehicles but the cops will ask you for it anyways
if you get pulled over.  ;D (not that you need it in a DND vehicle)

I remember they asked for our civy license before I did my course and one of my friend didn't have it.  He was asked to get it before he could do the course.

Max

Trinity,

I believe that the rules have changed and that a valid civilian driver's liscense is now a pre-requisite to obtaing 404s qualification.

There's got to be a trucker on this forum who can confirm/deny...

Truckers??

SupersonicMax said:
I remember they asked for our civy license before I did my course and one of my friend didn't have it.  He was asked to get it before he could do the course.

Max

Uh huh..  thats your evidence?

They can pick and choose who goes on course.  They prefer you have it
and believe it or not (in the past) it wasn't a legal requirement.  SCARY
though following someone with no licence.. I have first hand experience of that.

I don't know who's out their lane here.. YOU  or Me!
(but then again... I've taught the course!)

EDIT.. DAMNIT Vern.. you beat me...  It didn't used to be...
not sure if it still is because they might JUST be choosy about
who goes on course.

Trinity said:
Uh huh..  thats your evidence?

They can pick and choose who goes on course.  They prefer you have it
and believe it or not (in the past) it wasn't a legal requirement.  SCARY
though following someone with no licence.. I have first hand experience of that.

I don't know who's out their lane here.. YOU  or Me!
(but then again... I've taught the course!)

Trinity Trinity Trinity!!

Rules change!!

The Librarian said:
Trinity Trinity Trinity!!

Rules change!!

I can't help the rules...  teaching the course 3 times is
more experience and a better answer than my friend wasn't
allowed on the course.

There it is :

http://www.cfsuo.forces.gc.ca/ts/trans/safety_e.asp

In accordance with the new policy, casual drivers will be provided with type 1 driving privileges providing they have:

a. A provincial driver licence (PDL),

b. Registered in FMS, and

c. Completed a Defensive Driving Course (DDC) by 01 Dec 2001

I think it depends on the type of driving privilege you have to get (Type 1 or 2).  I read somewhere else that if your PDL have been revoked for road infraction, you need to tell it to you CO and you will not be allowed to drive military vehicules.

Here it is... http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/019-14_e.asp

Max

EDIT:  I wasn't that much out of my lane, was I?

Type 1 404's if memory serves me correctly are for people who will only be driving civy pattern (ie CICs), Type 2 404's are required for SMP vehicles (and usually you need to take a formal drivers course), and reading the bottom of mine which were issued to me lasted year and expired in 2010 it clearly states "Military Drivers DO NOT require a provincial drivers licence to operate DND owned or leased vehicles on public roads in Canada providing they hold this permit and it is valid".  The reason why most drivers course want candidates to already have provincial licence before showing up, is because it will save time, and you won't (in most cases) have to spend a lot of time teaching the person basic driving skills, rules of the road etc.

Edit to add.  The only trade that has a civy licence requirement for joining is Med Tech.

If your civilian license is suspended you can not get a DND 404's, which means you can not take any type of driver trg. If you do have a DND 404 then it is suspended as well. Your E-416s should have the suspension placed on it. If a person who does not hold a civilian license can still hold a DND 404 but it will be restricted as per their Provincial Driver License.

Fdtrucker said:
If a person who does not hold a civilian license can still hold a DND 404 but it will be restricted as per their Provincial Driver License.

How can a person's 404s be restricted pre thier PDL if they do not have a PDL.  You might want to clarify that a bit.

Michael, Trinity was an instructor on my driver wheel course, in 2002.

Hatchet Man said:
How can a person's 404s be restricted pre thier PDL if they do not have a PDL.  You might want to clarify that a bit.

Michael, Trinity was an instructor on my driver wheel course, in 2002.

And I passed you? 

My standards...  MY STANDARDS  :crybaby: :crybaby:  They're gone!

sniff  ::)

I think he means the person's 404's would have the same restrictions AS IF the person
was a new driver with a PDL i.e. following the initial restrictions of a PDL in regards to their 404

I think you may have been an in cab instructor with me once or twice the whole course, and not for a road test, so really YOU never passed me.

25 SVC BN did ;D

Okay, so we know he has to have a provincial drivers licience which we found out today he can't get back til Jan of 08, would he get kicked out of the Military for this, would they remuster him to some other course that doesn't require him to have a 404?

Back