• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Do bosns get issued a knife?

sea.sea.sea said:
Do bosns in the res get issued a knife or is it just the reg force?

If it's the same knife as the Reg F gets issued, don't bother.  Buy something that'll hold an edge more than five minutes.  Better yet, get a good Leatherman multitool - they come in handy for all sorts of things.

If you get sent to a ship either reg or res, you usually get issued a Grohmann type Knife, a lot of Bosn's buy their own. Each ship is issued so many. All members of the ship's company are suppose to have a seaman's knife on them at all times which is a fixed blade knife. A multitool while handy doesn't satisfy that requirement.

Stoker said:
If you get sent to a ship either reg or res, you usually get issued a Grohmann type Knife, a lot of Bosn's buy their own. Each ship is issued so many. All members of the ship's company are suppose to have a seaman's knife on them at all times which is a fixed blade knife. A multitool while handy doesn't satisfy that requirement.

Unless they've changed the style, the seaman's knife I was issued was a folding blade type.  I have never seen anyone other than a Bos'n carrying a fixed blade knife, and that's usually in a sheath with a marlin spike.

Edit:  I hadn't noticed the original poster specifically mentioned "Bos'n".  I would go out on a limb and agree with Stoker that the fixed blade knife, marlin spike and sheath are probably issued to Bos'ns, regardless of Reg or Res status, but that there are probably a fixed number available per unit.  Personally, I wouldn't want a hand-me-down and would invest in a good tool that isn't going to fail me when I need it.

This looks like a nice kit - http://www.navy2010giftware.com/en/catalog/seamans_knife.html

Occam said:
I have never seen anyone other than a Bos'n carrying a fixed blade knife, and that's usually in a sheath with a marlin spike.

I've known several officers to wear that type of knife at sea.

Allow me to shamelessly plug these perfect-for-sailing knives!

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/89648.0

Hate to admit (and do not necessarily agree) but iaw 'some pub' (Just went through STG and SSOs but can't find it), the seaman's knife MUST be of the fixed blade type. This is to ensure it is easily accessible for it's potentially intended purpose of cutting something/someone free in an emergency - so you don't (for example) have to struggle to open your knife with frozen hands....or when you are in the dark on fire.
I know most ships do departmental buys of multi-tools and this is fine but the entitlement is there for everyone to be issued a fixed blade and as someone has eluded to already, the issue one is comparable to something you would by at a Dollar Store-Most Bos'ns I know have purchased their own or, again, done a departmental buy.

When you got your kit at the dockyards stores, they used to issue a folding type knife. A few years ago a large number of cheap blue handled short fish knives with a plastic case were procured as a requirement for the "fixed blade". Over time the knife wore a hole in the case and cut a few people, needless to say that idea was abandoned. After that each ship was issued the Russell belt knife, usually for pers who worked directly on the upper decks. As for the rest of the crew, you procured your own. When you do WUP's Sea Training check for a seaman's knife as part of the kit list.

Ya!!  -  What Stoker said!!!
I do believe, the original query has been 'more than' answered!!!...but I do like some of the 'suggestions'.

My vote is for the Grohman knife  http://www.navy2010giftware.com/en/catalog/seamans_knife.html  that was mentioned before.  They're far better than the CF replacement for them and that's an excellent price.

Grohmans are overrated pieces of crap...for shipboard use, better buy your own and know it will hold an edge longer then a day. A sharp knife may save your life or those of your shipmates.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Grohmans are overrated pieces of crap...for shipboard use, better buy your own and know it will hold an edge longer then a day. A sharp knife may save your life or those of your shipmates.

I can't speak for any other model, but I received this Grohmann lockblade as a gift and it's probably one of the best knives I've ever owned.  If it weren't for the fact that I use a multitool on a near daily basis, I'd probably buy the sheath for the lockblade and carry that around.  It's the only Grohmann I've worked with, though.

Of all the ships I sailed on only a couple actually issued a knife. On some we went out as a department and ordered knives but generally I have always been responsible for my own. I have used the Grohmann belt knife for most of my career and found them to be outstanding.

SSO's does state that a knife must be worn by Seaman trades. No where does it say the ship will  buy you one. There are lots out there that will do a great job for very little money. $10 - $20. A folding knife will not do you any good in your pocket when your wearing a floatersuit. I have seen several people caught in lines and only because someone close had a knife handy was any injury averted. For the most part you may go hours without using it but have it on the outside and handy and pry open your wallet and spend the 10 bucks to get a knife.

I remember the folding knife I was issued in Halifax - took it home, put it some where and haven't seen it since.  Bought my own to carry on my belt.  Thought it was so stupid that they issued a folding knife that was crap and you would have to try opening with freezing hands.

Found it annoying when the cox'n would check everyone at the end of day to make sure they weren't wearing their knife off the ship.  Had to find something that didn't require taking off the belt to remove.  Most I found I didn't trust to be strong enough to stay.  Found one I liked just in time to get posted ashore.

A few years ago, the CF Naval issue was a "stainless" pocket folding knife that was a piece of crap. You'd have a real hard time to open the blades if your hands were wet, let alone frozen.

Not sure which pub states it, but apparently sailors that partake in seamanship evolution must have a fixed blade knife for reasons already mentioned. SeaTrg got anal about that. Then the naval issue became a Buck fixed blade piece of crap. In my opinion, Buck must've pass off some low grade rejects because they normally have good blades. That didn't last long since not everyone is required during those seamanship evolutions. The issue went back to some crappy folding knife. 

Some ships got that blue plastic crap and were "temporarely" loaning them to sailor during SeaTrg monitored evolutions. But those who had them, will attest to what is previously mentioned.

Bottom line, if you want a blade - get your own. You don't need Rambo's knife. Get one that you'll like and will feel comfortable using and wearing in any conditions.

I personally liked my SOG Seal Pup with this neat sheat that i used to put my Leatherman Wave. That is until I lost my puppy over the side. Now that I'm going back to sea this summer, I'll have to go shopping for another blade.

That old stainless folding knife was the C5.

I was just down at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington DC this past weekend and, there in the 60's vintage NASA emergency kit, was a version of the C5, lookiing exactly like the two I have here issued from the CF in the 90's ...

The more things change, the more surplus leftovers will be bought by the CF! :)

Hey don't knock the C5. I still use mine. Or what's left of it. Keeps a good edge and will open any beer can I ever came across.

Sometimes change for the sake of change isn't good either!

I really like that SOG SEAL Pup Elite Black TiNi knife.  Looks pretty sharp,  :p

sea.sea.sea said:
Do bosns in the res get issued a knife or is it just the reg force?

Yes, even if it's only to open a large artery after reading this thread ;D 8)

Most stokers get issued an ulcer and/or esophogial reflux too!!! Not sure if it is the diesel fuel we cummulatively swallow over our careers or the 4-ple ceasars in foreign ports!

Back