• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Do high-tech weapons have a classification system?

J

Jacqueline

Hi this may be a silly question. I'm just finishing a report on high-tech weapons, and how the benefits largely outweigh the disadvantages and how they aid immensely in combat. Since there are many various types of weapons,  I would like to know if I would be correct by stating this: "there  exists an official classification system".  I don't wanna talk crap just in case. Does anybody know anything about this? Thanks. 

MJF.

It might help if you defined what you feel is a "high-tech weapon."

You might be more correct in stating certain components, composition and capabilities might earn some sort of rating.

What do you mean by classification system?

Are you trying to describe model numbers, security classifcation, type of filling, guidance, etc.  What are you trying to classify?

[Arnold]
Phase Plasma Rifle in the 40watt range
[/Arnold]

A "high-tech" weapon (to me) is a weapon that uses high level technology to accomplish it's mission. Out of all of those ways,  (describing the model numbers etc.) is there a way to organize them?

Or like all that funky stuff on future weapons? (for example, UAV's?)

Miss J said:
A "high-tech" weapon (to me) is a weapon that uses high level technology to accomplish it's mission. Out of all of those ways,  (describing the model numbers etc.) is there a way to organize them?
In that case, there is no classification of "high technology weapon."  All weapons employ evolving technologies, but an aircraft bomb that can navigate itself to a 5 m x 5 m target does not stop being an aircraft bomb.

Rice0031 said:
Or like all that funky stuff on future weapons? (for example, UAV's?)
Or the XM982 Excalibur, that Canada will be getting?

There are some classification systems, but not everyone agrees on what weapons belong in which categories...  although it does tend to identify weapons by technology...

If you are looking for an official and universal classification system you are out of luck. I was at a lecture a few years back and there was an American Artillery officer who referred to rounds such as the Copperhead as smart munitions and rounds like the 120 Stryx and 155 Bonus as BAMs (Brilliant Artillery Munitions) due to their ability to hunt and engage targets.

Here is a website that describes US model numbers for missiles/aircraft-
http://www.designation-systems.net/

Here's one for Russian (Soviet) missiles
http://www.designation-systems.net/usmilav/index.html

Every country has different ones.

This is good stuff. THanks. I'll try and understand all of this language.  ;D

Some years ago while I was at Manitoba, I studied the classification of weapons with respect to the spatial characteristics.  To do the same with "high-tech" you will need to start with a text on taxonomy.  Refer to a friend studying biology for a recent title recommendation.  Thereafter you will need matrix algebra and combinatorial programming.  You will then have the tools.  Getting data of sufficient rigor will also prove challenging.
Now, aren't you glad you asked? 
(Of course the final results may well resemble those reached by a group of concerned friends at the local bar if you're  buying the drinks.)

Back