• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Do Reserve members go on Reg Force Training ?

TheSnake

Inactive
Reaction score
For example, can a PRes member go a Regular Force Clerk or Infantry etc course? or do PRes members have to go on the Reserve Training one? if I was busy during the summer but free during other parts of the year?

Depending on the course is possible, PLQ for ecample is primarily a reg force course

There are opportunities for ResF members to attend RegF courses but it usually takes some degree of effort from both the member and their unit. I have had no trouble sending my pers on RegF courses, but that's only because I know who to ask, and how to make it happen.

CAVEAT:

Army and Navy Reserves have a hard time getting their members on Reg Force courses. RCAF Reserve ONLY trains their people on Reg Force courses. My spouse is RCAF Res who has done Reg Force BMQ and Reg Force QL3. The RCAF Reserve is totally integrated into Reg Force units therefore require Reg Force training to be fully integrated. This has been the SOP for RCAF Res for over 40 years.

ModlrMike said:
There are opportunities for ResF members to attend RegF courses but it usually takes some degree of effort from both the member and their unit. I have had no trouble sending my pers on RegF courses, but that's only because I know who to ask, and how to make it happen.

So from what I am, getting from this post is that I need to ask my unit (most likely more than once) to go on a Reg Force course ? because I would really like to go for training before summer (civi jobs)

All Naval Reserve training is now (or will be shortly) equivalent to regular force qualifications.  There are Reserve sailors on RegF courses and vice versa.  They are separate courses but the qualifications will end up being the same.  Reserve sailors sail on the same ships now as Regular force.

Underway said:
All Naval Reserve training is now (or will be shortly) equivalent to regular force qualifications.  There are Reserve sailors on RegF courses and vice versa.  They are separate courses but the qualifications will end up being the same.  Reserve sailors sail on the same ships now as Regular force.
Okay, but what about Army Reserve? but then again I  guess Clerk trade is for all Military Branches

Realistically, at the basic training level, expect to be on PRes courses. The RegF runs the courses it needs for its people. PRes have somewhat different training standards in terms of what material must be covered versus what is considered supplemental. When you join the PRes, it should be clearly communicated to you what the expectations are regarding availability for that first summer.

Once you’re qualified in your trade, more opportunities may open up down the road. The PRes has recently been assigned unit level ‘misssion tasks’. Some units will get training in mortars; others in pioneer tasks (basically low level combat engineer stuff), some get heavy machine guns, some get basic reconnaissance patrolman courses. Other opportunities might include basic parachute, complex terrain, etc.

Where it can really open up is after you’re a qualified NCO. There are various instructor level courses (for instance I got Urban Operations Instructor) that are aimed primarily at the refs but that may take some reservists. All of those ‘mission tasks’ have higher level qualifiations as well where the reg/res line won’t mean much. And of course if you volunteer to deploy overseas there can be more as well as preparatory training.

For now, plan your life so as to get trained, and then work hard and don’t suck, and you should find some good opportunities in time.

To Clarify what I am asking is it possible to take my " Basic occupational qualification training " before summer (if it helps I already have my BMQ )

And as far as I know PRes Basic occupational qualification training Course is done only on the Summer

Trade I am mostly thinking of is Clerk (Finance or HRA ) which I believe Army/Navy/RCAF all have these trades (but I am in the army )

TheSnake said:
To Clarify what I am asking is it possible to take my " Basic occupational qualification training " before summer (if it helps I already have my BMQ )

And as far as I know PRes Basic occupational qualification training Course is done only on the Summer

Trade I am mostly thinking of is Clerk (Finance or HRA ) which I believe Army/Navy/RCAF all have these trades (but I am in the army )

I understand what your asking. The answer is likely 'no'. You need to be contacting your recruiter ASAP so they can talk to the unit and gauge the possibility of this. But if you aren't available for training for at least part of your first summer, the army reserve simply may not be a viable option for you.

Brihard said:
I understand what your asking. The answer is likely 'no'. You need to be contacting your recruiter ASAP so they can talk to the unit and gauge the possibility of this. But if you aren't available for training for at least part of your first summer, the army reserve simply may not be a viable option for you.
Okay, Thank you. However because I only have BMQ, and If I do VR (quit?) would it be a major is issue for me to join the CAF (Res/Reg/Ranger? ) in the future?

TheSnake said:
Okay, Thank you. However because I only have BMQ, and If I do VR (quit?) would it be a major is issue for me to join the CAF (Res/Reg/Ranger? ) in the future?

It would delay things somewhat, as they'd have to do a verification of former service.

Ask up your chain. They may be willing to keep you around and let you see if you can arrange things for next summer. CAF also has resources that can help intercede with civilian employers. Depending on where you work, there may be policies or legislation in place to help reservists.

Brihard said:
It would delay things somewhat, as they'd have to do a verification of former service.

you mean how long I was in and what training I did?

TheSnake said:

Correct. No matter how little it was, they will conduct that verification, and it will be a 100% bureaucratic process that you will have no ability to influence or control. I can cause delays.

TheSnake said:
I  guess Clerk trade is for all Military Branches

TheSnake said:

Purple Trades: Definition & Trg Discussion 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/22558.0
11 pages.

TheSnake said:
If I do VR (quit?) would it be a major is issue for me to join the CAF (Res/Reg/Ranger? ) in the future?

TheSnake said:

You can read about getting back in and Verification of Former Service ( VFS ),

ReEnroll with Prior Service / VFS [Merged]
https://army.ca/forums/threads/294.775
42 pages.

Back