• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Do you wish your corps would do more with your Affiliated Unit?

Reg Cpl looks down at the Res Cpl who looks down at the Cadet Cpl..... see anything common here?

It is obvious that a 14 yr old will not have the same baggage of experience as an 18 or 20 yr old individual. It is obvious that someone with some very basic courses will have the same capabilities as someone with years of full time experience and leadership courses up the Kazoo...

That having been said, the Cadet NCOs lead their troops. The Reserve NCOs lead their troops and the Reg NCOs lead their troops. (depending on your branch, Reg/Res training is similar and can be interchanged)

My former Reserve unit conducts a Leadership course for it's affiliated Cadet Corps over the XMass break every year. The unit offers - the Corps has a choice of accepting or "giving it a pass"... It's up to the Corps leaders to decide if it's within the scope of values they want to transmit to their members.

Why would any corp leader turn down an offer?
- believe it or not, some leaders are anti-military (possibly mad because they were turned down). Have you noticed that Cadet uniforms are adorned with badges like boy scouts and that weapons training and weapon drill has been downplayed over the years? These leaders don't always last a long time so as they dissapear, they are replaced with others who may think differently.

Unfortunately I never had any encounters with cadets when I was RCD but since I have been navy my enounters with them have been less then idea. There are good and bad apples in both the CF and the cadet movement so I can understand why an affiliated unit(and the CF in general) might want to limit their dealings with cadets.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Unfortunately I never had any encounters with cadets when I was RCD but since I have been navy my enounters with them have been less then idea. There are good and bad apples in both the CF and the cadet movement so I can understand why an affiliated unit(and the CF in general) might want to limit their dealings with cadets.

Very true.  It only takes a bad few to give a bad name to the rest.

without having all details - am sure that scouts would say the same ab69

ARMYboi69 said:
We have become similar, but to say they're the exact same would be a little much.  Scouts are given badges left, right, up, and down for everything they do, whereas cadets' badges ARE given for hard work, outside of the mandatory program.

Having  known friends kids in scouts for a number of years, I know they work hard to earn those badges. Armyboi, I would suggest you drop this "cadets are better then everyone elses" attitude before it gets you in serious trouble. You wonder why Res/Regs have not much respect for a lot of you well Cadet/Sgt Dickin, your display of superiority on this forum pretty much underscores the disdain we feel.

ARMYboi69 said:
Actually yes, I do.  I spent 3 years as a Cub (Pack Leader) and 2 years as a Scout (Troop Leader).  I can tell you from pure experience that you can earn 5+ badges a night...
OK

It has been a while since I have been is Cubs and Scouts, but I have to call You on this. 

Let me see.  According to your profile you are 15.  Now you claim to have been a Troop Leader for 2 years......assuming you are still in Scouts, you would have been a Troop Leader at the age of 13.  Carrying on.....you claim also to have been a Pack Leader for three years......and again, assuming you went directly from Pack Leader straight into Scouts to become a Troop Leader......you would have been a Pack Leader at the tender age of 10.  Where is that BS flag?

When I was in Cubs the Pack Leader was over 65 years old.  When I was in Scouts, the Troop Leader was a High School Shop Teacher. 

Where is that BS Flag?  Big time.

You know for someone that was banned once and let back in after Kyle interceded for you I am sick of your behaviour and in the long run this show of repaying him. Consider yourself on C&P with the chances of being Banned again.

OK, back on topic, problem has been dealt with

ARMYboi69 said:
We have become similar, but to say they're the exact same would be a little much.  Scouts are given badges left, right, up, and down for everything they do, whereas cadets' badges ARE given for hard work, outside of the mandatory program.

I was a guide (scout) and am now a guide leader. I earned badges, and while there are a lot of them, all the ones I earned were for HARD WORK outside of the manditory program.  And so what if we earn many badges? We earned them and we put a lot of effort into earning them.

For two years in my Bn, my "supplementary" duty was Cadet Liaison/Safety staff. I was responsible for two cadet corps ensuring on the safety of cadet activities and the other comprised of beg, borrowing, stealling all the resources I could from everyone. I planned a live fire range weekend for the one corp to help with enlistment. Took 64 C1s, 20 C2's, Carl G's with inserts and a GPMG. A duce and a half carried the ammo. Besides myself ( it was duty for me) I had one plt co. and six other guys from the Bn give up a fair amount of their free time to see it through. Transported it all in a AVGP and used the secure hanger at the local air force base as overnight armoury.Took allot of paperwork and planning but the okay dokey letter from my CO was worth it. What was even better on my next visit they had maxed out on numbers of new recruits and the expression on the company CQ's face when we checked the weapons back in-cleaner than when they went out, needless to say I never had a problem borrowing from him . I know my regt. still has this supplementary duty going. But in the past there was not the heavy ops schedule that there is now. If you want something find the paperwork and submit it, you have a 50-50 chance of getting it. :cdn:

Catalyst said:
I was a guide (scout) and am now a guide leader. I earned badges, and while there are a lot of them, all the ones I earned were for HARD WORK outside of the manditory program.  And so what if we earn many badges? We earned them and we put a lot of effort into earning them.

Never mind him, you'll notice that he has earned himself his own badge from the Staff at Army.ca. He won't be around to make foolish comments like that any longer.

Since I have been in the army the only encounters with cadets I have had (besides the Regent Mall In Fredericton; thats another story) is after FTX's and cadet Sr. NCO's, seem to think they out rank and now more then us.

I personally would have no problem showing them what we do, or helping them learn field craft. But none of the people I know from my unit or others want to have to put up with the 16 year old Hot Shot Cadet CWO who wants to be called Sir.

NL_engineer said:
Since I have been in the army the only encounters with cadets I have had (besides the Regent Mall In Fredericton; thats another story) is after FTX's and cadet Sr. NCO's, seem to think they out rank and now more then us.

I personally would have no problem showing them what we do, or helping them learn field craft. But none of the people I know from my unit or others want to have to put up with the 16 year old Hot Shot Cadet CWO who wants to be called Sir.

That's a shame that a few cadets who get big heads because they have a high rank in cadets can ruin it for others.  Cadets can benefit alot from Reg and Res soldiers.  But it's definitely understandable the frustration you can get.  We have always had a good relationship with our affiliated unit and did alot with them.  But we never had a problem with cadets having an attitude towards the militia.  They would sit and listen to what they were being taught and they looked up to the reservists alot.

Exactly, I find that the lesson being taught is alot more interesting if its being taught by someone who is in the reg/res because they know exactly what they're doing.  When some newely promoted cadet Sergeant is teaching a lesson it always seems to be dry and/or boring.

I completely agree. I had a cadet m/cpl join reserves and come back and teach us bushcraft a couple of times and man he learned alot :gunner: Other than him we don't do too much with our affiliated unit, we did one change of command parade when their CO retired but that was it.

Recce By Death said:
We in the RCD do take out the more senior cadets on some of our exercises in Pet.

Mind you our OP tempo right now prevents us from doing so...at least for this year.

Regards

yeah im an RCD cadet and good to see someone from the regiment

I am an RCD Cadet and my corps does quite a bit when it comes to activities and exercises with our regiment, actually in may we had an exercises called Exercises Coyote, during that exercises a squadron from the Royal Canadian Dragoons came down fully equip ed and we had a good go through and we learned a lot. MY corps is very proud to be affiliated to the RCD and are happy the be part of the regimental family. We have RCD's come down most training nights to help assist in teaching and drill, they help my corps become better and improve, i hope other cadet corps are able to have the same experience that my corps has been allowed, we also got to play with the new C7A2's, C8's, Carl Gustav's, C6's, C9's (A1,A2) and the general issue pistol (not sure what make).

Glad you enjoy what the Dragoon family provides.

I'll see you next fall. Enjoy your summer.

Regards

I'm curious to know if cadets while on exercise are allowed to carry a C7 or a C9, with or without blank ammo.

Are they allowed to go on a range exercise and shoot with their respective regiment?

Is there an official refence to this somewhere.

I ask because I once saw a CIC Captain march onto a cenotaph halfway through a Remembrance Day ceremony and remove the C7 from a cadet who was holding it. Was she right or wrong to do so?

Back