• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Does the CF use Shepherds?

Geez, and I thought this thread had something to do with Highlanders and thier drinking companions.

Haggis said:
Geez, and I thought this thread had something to do with Highlanders and thier drinking companions.

As did I.  "All this and wool too!" ;D

Pure virgin wool..... from "Ugh"ly sheep  8)

We used to use human shepherds for mine detection at one point - if they wouldn't graze their sheep somewhere, we thought twice about going in there.  I did actually suggest we get some sheep for the engineers when I was in Croatia in the 90's - send them out, and if they blow up, you know there is something out there AND you have fresh rations afterwards.  When they did actually ask for dogs, all hell broke loose back home from the animal rights nazis - it was apparently ok for our dudes/ettes to get blown up, but not the dogs...

MM

medicineman 

Well that would be the loonie left for you in not making sense .  This in regards to the above post

I've only seen MPs with a German Shepperd once, in the H lines, Gagetown, December 1992.  Some of the boys had those funny smokes, had smoked them and shortly there after MP guy with pup showed up.  It was a big mean looking sucker too (the dog).

I was at the club at Wicker House on Fort Knox in Feb 2001, and there was a K-9 MP in the bar, with the dog.  Its too bad we didn't have these!

X-mo-1979 said:
Freakin cool!

I didn't find anything on Lahr (what ol ******* named him!!lol)

However I found a bit on Roxie,the K-9 on the warmer shore.

page 3.

http://www.lookoutnewspaper.com/archive/20080114/Lookout_Newspaper_2.08.pdf

I've met Roxie.

Her handler was on my PLQ course.  He brought her into the classroom and told us all about her.

karl28 said:
medicineman 

Well that would be the loonie left for you in not making sense .  This in regards to the above post

Kinda like how the above statement made sense to me?  I'll spell it out for you - a shepherd is something/someone that herds and guards sheep - ergo a human shepherd (or more commonly shortened to just "shepherd") is a person who herds sheep around and looks after them - people you find a great deal of in the Former Yugoslavia.  They were a vital HUMINT factor for us in preventing death/bodily or vehicular destruction by land mine over there.  If they wouldn't graze their sheep somewhere, there was a damn good reason usually. 

A German Shepherd is a breed of dog originally bred to help humans herd and guard sheep and are also used for other things, like herding/guarding/handling humans (police work/guide dogs), sniffing out stuff (explosives, drugs, people/parts of people), and a multitude of other functions due to it's loyalty, size, intelligence and abillity to adapt to being trained.  Other dogs are in fact used for the same sort of things, some of which have the word "shepherd" in the name of the breed (or sheep dog).  In reference to the above paragraph, as our engineer troop cleared probably more roads/paths than an entire regiment did during the Normandy breakout, and we had a fair number of casualties resulting from mines (and the stress on the troops that sort of work incurs), many of which were buried too deep for standard detectors, they'd asked for some such animals to assist in demining because there was less risk to humans.  Since we had no such animals in the CF at the time, outside help had to be sought - none arrived it seemed due to publicity issues.

I'm explaining in this fashion, as it would appear that you either didn't understand what I wrote in response to "Does the CF use Shepherds" and/or you don't share my sense of humour.  If the former, hope that helped; if the latter, oh well, I thought it was at least a little amusing.

Cheers.

MM

medicineman said:
and if they blow up, you know there is something out there AND you have fresh rations afterwards.

Not only fresh, but pre-cooked too! (Or am I going over the line on this one?)

medicineman 

I am sorry for the confusion .  I actually thought  in regards to what you posted was funny .
My response was when you stated about the animal rights people getting upset and to me they are the same as the loonie left and the loonie left hardly ever makes sense in any of the arguments LOL .    I hope that helps clears up my original post  that's what I get for posting before  I had my first cup of coffee . 

Cheers Karl

karl28 said:
medicineman   

I am sorry for the confusion .  I actually thought  in regards to what you posted was funny .
My response was when you stated about the animal rights people getting upset and to me they are the same as the loonie left and the loonie left hardly ever makes sense in any of the arguments LOL .    I hope that helps clears up my original post  that's what I get for posting before  I had my first cup of coffee . 

Cheers Karl

No probs - sorry came off a little irked - things didn't make much sense until now. 

TTFN.

MM

medicineman 

Glad  to here that you got that last message . Last thing I want to do is offend some one any how have a good one . Also next time  I post I will make sure that its after I had my morning coffee I tend to make more sense than  :D

Cheers Karl

Just getting back from Munster,I couldnt believe the amount of dogs patrolling that base.Most looked to be civilian contractors under seimens,none the less a deterrent from anyone tresspassing on the base.

I know for a fact that my last few tours in Bosnia, when we still had a Battle Group there, we didhave at least 10 soldiers trained as Dog handlers, these dogs were mainly German Shepherds, I say yes we do train and use them on all aspects that were brought up.

Guy

RCR 30 years

Back