• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Does the gun registry help reduce crime?

The population at large may be smartening up.

Not terribly likely, though.

Ummmm  ........  no

It causes crime.
By criminalizing law abiding gun owners.

In Canada the weapon of choice is the knife!
We would need a law that restricts everything including
pointed sticks.

In truth we have enough laws and virtually no penalties
for violent criminals.  Fix that - fix the problem.

IMHO anyway.

No, it just sucks millions out of the tax payer, when those millions could be going to cancer research and other notable things.

My 2 cents,

Wes

Flip said:
In Canada the weapon of choice is the knife!

In Saskatchewan some weapons of choice area pair of cowboy boots, tire iron, a two x four, or a broken beer bottle. oh yes and the super store paring knfe too, thats good value, a bit of hockey tape on the grip to keep it firm in one's hand.

Regina and surrounding First Nation Reserves, and I am not playing the race card.

Knives are your number one worries in many places. Not to mention intoxicated drivers....

Yah!  Cars kill lots of people!  So, what, are we going to have, like, a car registry now? 

Oh...

Personally I am all in favour of registering firearms just like we register cars, first improvement is that it will not be a crimmanl offence to neglect informing them of a address change. Plus if I want to have a 3.9 barrel on my 229, only my insurance rate changes. Also there won't be a need for ATT or SAPs anymore. 

Colin P said:
Personally I am all in favour of registering firearms just like we register cars, first improvement is that it will not be a crimmanl offence to neglect informing them of a address change. Plus if I want to have a 3.9 barrel on my 229, only my insurance rate changes. Also there won't be a need for ATT or SAPs anymore. 

That would probably work, but only because it would be supported by the insurance companies, who will use any excuse to jack rates.  :p

Potential weapons - knitting needles on airplanes! Oh - but I could take a circular needle, if security doesn't think its a threat and its less than 31 inches long. My grandmother's steel needles, I can understand - but what about my old plastic ones? Crochet hooks seem to be ok. However, I have some very tiny ones that could stab you quite effectively, and any of them could put out an eye. Go figure.

At home my cast iron frying pan would make an effective weapon, not to mention my knives. Go ahead - legislate against my cooking equipment.

Hawk
:cdn:

Wesley  Down Under said:
No, it just sucks millions out of the tax payer, when those millions could be going to cancer research and other notable things.

My 2 cents,

Wes

Millions? Try BILLIONS. And yes, a total waste of taxpayer money. Liberal ideals which, in principle, may sound good--but they never work and we don't live in a perfect world. They (Liberals) always forget about reality.

Qualified citizens (background checks, training, safety, etc) should be able to carry concealed firearms in Canada as well. We'd have a lot less crimes against persons. This is a touchy issue, but we should be able to protect ourselves with lethal force if a lethal threat presents itself.

Colin P said:

The Government has no need to know that I own a rifle. Period.

my rifles have never so much as been pointed at another human being. (well  my M1 carbine, SMLE and SKS may have...but not in my hands  ;) ) I dont think legal gun owners are the problem. I think the registry should go, and the punishment for cupable homicide/attemp homicide and assault/weapon should be harsher.

that said, if you defend your self legally, it should not be such a farce in court to stay out of jail. (You know, you can punch him once to make him stop, but if you do it again, its assault...its also heat of the moment with someone who was just doing violence against you)

I would like to carry as well.  Mostly because carrying a COP is hard work.

Colin P said:
Not to mention the upkeep in donuts and coffee  :)

No way! They eat WAY more healthier now... it'll be the up keep of FREE TRADE coffee, organic green tea, and SUBWAY... oh boy...

Dunno about you guys but it seems to me canadian gun laws and such make it harder to sell a gun, not harder to buy or own a gun.

I have a friend who after turning 18 bought like 7 guns in 3 months, without much trouble at all(I was hoping to do so as well but first day of univ. was same date as PL)

Colin P said:
first improvement is that it will not be a crimmanl offence to neglect informing them of a address change.

Another of the uncountable flaws with the whole legislative nightmare...

If it was not a criminal offence to refuse or neglect to inform the system, then there would be no penalty at all.

Regulation of property is the purview of the provinces. The federal government has no constitutional authority to do so. This is why all firearms legislation has been made within the Criminal Code, and why all penalties for this and other paper crimes consist of jail sentences and come with a criminal record - there can be no non-criminal penalties for violations.

it helps, but not much. reducing crime is more about education, job market, pressure,social value...........

Back