• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Does the gun registry help reduce crime?

uzi said:
it helps,

?
A waste of over a billion dollars, and law abiding citizens getting stuffed around does not help.

I don't think it helps one single bit!

uzi said:
it helps, but not much. reducing crime is more about education, job market, pressure,social value...........

I'd like to see your verifiable statistics proving your point that 'it helps'.

No 97%
uzi said:
it helps, but not much. reducing crime is more about education, job market, pressure,social value...........

And reading your profile...your email address...are you a "troll"?

As with others, care to back up your statement?

Considering the registry has made up to 150,000 people into "paper criminals", I would have to say that it's net effect is to increase the level of crime.

It can't possibly not reduce crime.  With my licence now expired I now have to pay tonnes of money to recertify.  This is going to cut into my coke habit in a huge way.

Gun registy has in fact increased the crime rate.  Look at me, I am now a criminal because I possess wpns without a valid licence.  This is the same boat that many others are sitting in right now.  The database "knows" whos expired but the cops don't really care about the registry otherwise I would have had someone knocking at my door a long time ago.

Sadly if you treat one person as an idiot -- it is harassment, if you treat everyone as an idiot you have a safety policy -- or in this case a Gun Registry...

hell no.  If you are going to commit a crime with a gun, why would you register it?

Not sure that many criminals who are committing these firearms offenses are all that concerned with registering them in the first place.

NOT TO MENTION, the idea of a handgun ban (popular topic in Toronto right now) isn't really convincing me that criminals will suddenly give them up to the authorities.

Both 'feel good' policies...one costing taxpayers WAY too much money, and the other likely to do the same if implemented. It simply gives the appearance that the current government is actively 'doing something' about the problem.

the_midge said:
Both 'feel good' policies...one costing taxpayers WAY too much money, and the other likely to do the same if implemented. It simply gives the appearance that the current government is actively 'doing something' about the problem.

It is NOT the current Federal government that is pushing this agenda. They would like to dismantle the registry. It is the left leaning nanny parties, and the hoplophobes like Wendy Cukier. Of course the Ban Brothers of McGuinty, Benson and Bryant fame do nothing useful by trying to force liberal provincial agendas on federal legislation here in Bantario, from their seats in Moronto.

recceguy said:
It is NOT the current Federal government that is pushing this agenda. They would like to dismantle the registry. It is the left leaning nanny parties, and the hoplophobes like Wendy Cukier. Of course the Ban Brothers of McGuinty, Benson and Bryant fame do nothing useful by trying to force liberal provincial agendas on federal legislation here in Bantario, from their seats in Moronto.

I meant in the general sense of the 'current' governments which implement these projects. In the specific case of the registry: the federal Liberals.

Edited to add the above clarification.

YES it does, it prevents registered gun owners for using their guns in a crime  ;D

[joke]

It has done good for the paper industry  ::)  but thats about it.

As for crimianls using hand guns, most if not all are from the US (smuggled in, or are bought of the streets).  So my question to the people proposing the ban is: how is that going to stop the criminals from using them?

I suppose as much good as "Registering Criminals" has prevented them from committing Crimes.

the issue here is that it's a useless policy.  It makes it expensive for law-abiding gun owners to keep owning them, and it is costing the taxpayers millions in wasted money.  The policy was a quick-fix, feel-good policy designed to deflect blame away from the nancy liberals regarding the rising problems with gun violence in places like Toronto - well, we see how effective that is.  What was it, January 1st of this year when the first gun death occurred?  Pretty sure it was an old lady shot in the face, wasn't it?

Anyhow.  To sum:
1)USELESS
2)EXPENSIVE
3)COSTS THE WRONG PEOPLE MONEY
4)INNEFECTIVE AT PREVENTING GUN VIOLENCE

If they want to spend money cutting down gun violence, they should pour more of it into anti-smuggling work.

Well I suppose it might cut the crime rate in Mirimachi as the registry seems to be one of the bigger employers there. Otherwise you might have gangs of unemployed ladies running around sticking people with knitting needles.  :eek:

Of course they could use the system to track dangerous offenders or child molesters but that would interfere with the important work of tracking 30 year old .22cal rifles and such.

couldn't agree more.  My dad has a collection of Lee Enfields that he has to pay a ton to keep registered - only one of which (a '47 jungle carbine) he actually uses for hunting!

Colin P said:
Of course they could use the system to track dangerous offenders or child molesters but that would interfere with the important work of tracking 30 year old .22cal rifles and such.

That would make sense

Said system would invade there rights; as our right to know is not as important  ::) 

AirCanuck said:
couldn't agree more.  My dad has a collection of Lee Enfields that he has to pay a ton to keep registered - only one of which (a '47 jungle carbine) he actually uses for hunting!

Hey Air, he should not have had to pay a cent. When I renewed my possession only license, I was even refunded, and registration is free. This is Saskatchewan thought, so I can't speak for other provinces.

Cheers,

Wes

Wesley  Down Under said:
Hey Air, he should not have had to pay a cent. When I renewed my possession only license, I was even refunded, and registration is free. This is Saskatchewan thought, so I can't speak for other provinces.

Cheers,

Wes

Same here in NS. I didn't get refunded for my PAL, but you're right Registration is free and since I'm a handgun owner, I have to be a member of a gun club. Irregardless, paying $80 every 5 years and $60 a year for a gun club membership is hardly a fortune.

Air, once a gun is registered, it is registered and no further action is required. Sounds like you made that up, I'm a gun owner and other than the license fee every 5 years which the Conservatives now reimburse, it costs nothing to own hunting rifles.

Inch said:
Same here in NS. I didn't get refunded for my PAL, but you're right Registration is free and since I'm a handgun owner, I have to be a member of a gun club. Irregardless, paying $80 every 5 years and $60 a year for a gun club membership is hardly a fortune.

Air, once a gun is registered, it is registered and no further action is required. Sounds like you made that up, I'm a gun owner and other than the license fee every 5 years which the Conservatives now reimburse, it costs nothing to own hunting rifles.

Wasn't trying to make anything up - I haven't heard my dad mention it in years (as it's no longer a new item for discussion) so perhaps things have changed since the conservatives have been in power - I could have been wrong, but there was no intention to mislead.

Regardless, I still believe that the registry program is an unnecessary hassle.

Back