• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Does the gun registry help reduce crime?

The system is incredibly effective, I have to say.  Just yesterday, in fact, I got a letter in the mail advising me that a transfer had been approved for a Norc SKS I purchased in a bulk order for another officer in my unit had been approved.  I initiated this transfer on 26 Sept 07, of a non-restricted firearm, and only now I'm getting this letter.  I guess it's a good thing I gave her the registration slip when I "lent" it to her way back then, I didn't even realize the transfer wasn't complete until today.

Thank god we register those guns, it makes sure there's no more gun crime.  All the inconvenience of waiting six weeks to sell a handgun is so worth it.  (/sarcasm)

Well that's improvement, they took 2 years to register my .22 and .303 that I have had for 20+ years. 2 years after submitting my forms I get a letter from the CFC saying they could not complete the registration because of missing information, the information missing, you ask.......?

My mailing address They couldn't answer how they were able to send me a letter without that information  ;D

Now how did I miss this?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2007/08/30/ot-keg-070830.html

A beer keg registry.  I wonder if we'll need ATT's for taps too?

Identify who is responsible for an out-of-control party.
Conduct pre-emptive strikes on suspicious parties.
Crack down on underage drinking.

Yes. I'm sure they're going to make TONS of headway with those last two points there.  ;D

One more example in Winnipeg today of how well the gun registry is reducing crime. Three people dead, 2 or perhaps 3 more in hospital with gunshot wounds from a shooting in Winnipeg's north end. I'm getting a blow-by-blow account of what's happening in that neighbourhood - a good friend lives 4 doors down from where this all came down, and the police were all around her house - they seem to think people were running through her yard when this happened.

I'm sure the gun registry makes her and her young daughter feel safer!

:cdn:
Hawk

Redeye said:
Now how did I miss this?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2007/08/30/ot-keg-070830.html

A beer keg registry.  I wonder if we'll need ATT's for taps too?

No, but you will need ATTs and double locking for mini kegs and all kegs deemed restricted by order-in-coucil.  You will want to buy as many different kinds of kegs as you can now because you never know which ones will be deemed prohibited.  If you already own said kegs you can be grandfathered for a 12(9) Prohibited Keg Posession and Aquisition Licence.

This is utter stupidity, if it was coming from anywhere but Ontario I would say that someone made it up to parody the firearms registry.

Planes

I_Drive_Planes said:
No, but you will need ATTs and double locking for mini kegs and all kegs deemed restricted by order-in-coucil.  You will want to buy as many different kinds of kegs as you can now because you never know which ones will be deemed prohibited.  If you already own said kegs you can be grandfathered for a 12(9) Prohibited Keg Posession and Aquisition Licence.

This is utter stupidity, if it was coming from anywhere but Ontario I would say that someone made it up to parody the firearms registry.

Planes

I wonder if they'll hit Guinness with that just for being an "evil looking black beer".

Well, an AR-15 is restricted by order-in-council by name because it's an "evil looking black gun".  Funny enough, a Mini-14, which has a similar operating mechanism, isn't.

Redeye said:
Well, an AR-15 is restricted by order-in-council by name because it's an "evil looking black gun".  Funny enough, a Mini-14, which has a similar operating mechanism, isn't.

Seriously?? That's the actual wording they use?

Who are these clowns?  ::)

I guess my quotes were deceiving.  That isn't the actual wording, but there's no other reason that really has ever been offered for why the AR-15 is restricted when so many other semiautomatic rifles are not.  They are the one unique example of a rifle that is in the restricted class without any real reason.  I wish I had a source, but many folks over on Canadian Gun Nutz refer to a story which suggests that Wendy Cukier (public enemy #1) went through a Guns and Ammo Annual and picked out ones that looked more "evil".  There are plenty of other air-cooled, gas operated, magazine fed semiautomatic rifles (like the Mini-14) that don't seem to have any problems for the anti-gun set.

the_midge said:
Seriously?? That's the actual wording they use?

Who are these clowns?  ::)

Attempts to use logic to understand the Firearm Act will cause your brain to explode!! you have been warned!

Redeye said:
Actually the operating systems aren't similar at all. Unless you're considering the generic similarities of detachable magazine and semi automatic

The Mini-14 is a miniature copy of the M-14, hence it's name. The M-14 and the AR family are not similar in mechanism.

I'm referring to generic similarities - not the origins (ie direct impingement vs. piston/operating rod).  I wasn't suggesting they're identical or of similar descent.

recceguy said:
Actually the operating systems aren't similar at all. Unless you're considering the generic similarities of detachable magazine and semi automatic

The Mini-14 is a miniature copy of the M-14, hence it's name. The M-14 and the AR family are not similar in mechanism.

I don't think that there is any real point in searching for logic in certain legislations... this is certainly one of those!

To to think the Mini 14 was used in the Ecole du Polytech shootings, and was left off the list. 

The only difference between now and the pre ban days for the Mini 14 is the 5 rd mags, as all centre fire rifles which are semi automatic (less the M1 Garand - 8 rds), all must have a maximum capacity of 5 rds.  The Mini is available in 5.56 x 45mm and 7.62x39mm.

Pre 1978 ( I bought my AR-15 in 1978 and it was restricted then, so I don't know how long it was on the list in the pre 78 days) the 5.56mm AR-15 was a restricted weapon, and when the PC's came in about 1980, they changed the order in council, and the AR-15 family with 508mm bbls was stricken off the list.

In about 1983, however, the 7.62mm FN FAL family was classified as a restricted weapon. Go figure?

The AR-15 family was not classified as restricted until the Alan Rock times of the early 1990's, and remains so now.

Foolishness as far as I am concerned.

You can get 10rnd mags to fit AR-15s now, Wes.  LAR-15 pistol mags will fit in the mag port of an AR-15 and are legal because they are marked as pistol mags.

Gun registry is useless as many have said its not the legal gun owners that pose the problem, there are lots of firearms that come across the border all the time.  They even disassemble the guns and bring them over piece by piece which is even harder to track.

Redeye said:
You can get 10rnd mags to fit AR-15s now, Wes.  LAR-15 pistol mags will fit in the mag port of an AR-15 and are legal because they are marked as pistol mags.

Maybe so, but get caught with an over capacity mag in your AR-15 rifle, and kiss your legal gun owning days goodbye, and welcome a criminal record.

The AIA M10A2 7.62 carbines uses 10 rd AK mags, not a problem to own, but get caught with a 10 rd mag in your semi/CA AK, and you're buggered.

Back