• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dog Tags

• Thread starter maple_leaf_forever
  • Start date
Can someone display an old style dog tag so I can see how it was layed out? I know they had the s.i.n. number on top, name on the next line, religion and blood type on the next line and cdn forces cdn on the bottom, but how was the whole thing layed out on the disc? Where they stamped like the new ones with everything kind centered? Also what was stamped on the back? :salute: :cdn:

My tags c.1977, had 'DO NOT REMOVE' on the reverse only in English, before it was in two languages.

The tags were also alloy.

123 456 789
JR DOE
RC A/RH/POS
CDN FORCES CDN

123 456 789
JR DOE
RC
CDN FORCES CDN

EDITed to say the font was different than the new ones.

Probably just a replica, but something like this:

cdn-300.jpg

Thanks, I am woundering about the tags with the s.i.n. numbers stamped on them. Also I was woundering about the size of the lettering and numbers as well as how each line lined up with the other lines.
123 456 789
ABC DEFGHIJK
UCC B/RH/P
CDN FORCES CDN

joeye11svcbn said:
Thanks, I am woundering about the tags with the s.i.n. numbers stamped on them. Also I was woundering about the size of the lettering and numbers as well as how each line lined up with the other lines.
123 456 789
ABC DEFGHIJK
UCC B/RH/P
CDN FORCES CDN

Don't get so wrapped up about these things. I've got sets that were hand stamped and crooked, some are in different fonts, some are machine made and deep set while some are barely legible. Made from aluminum and stainless steel. They are made by the lowest bidder the cheapest way they can do it. You'd be hard pressed to argue the non authenticity of any of them.

Well, except maybe these ones

There is a Canadian company who does do both, Canadian and American Dog Tags, for anyone wanting to buy a set.  According to their website, they ship from out of Toronto.

My Dog Tags . Ca
http://www.mydogtag.ca/

The "Canadian Forces" version seems to be sold out.

I think the biggest market for something like this, would be for those who wanted to give a personalized and/or romantic gift to a loved one.

All couples seem to have their own 'language' for certain things.  These Dog Tags would make for a romantic gift; one could put a quote or saying or set of words which means something specific to X couple.  Personally, I would love to receive a gift like this; for me, it would be one of those perfect gifts.

Another gift idea, would be for their to be a personalized set of 'family' Dog Tags and for the 'family set' to have something printed on the Dog Tags which means something specific to that family... again, all families have their own 'language' for certain things or perhaps a little boy wants a set just like daddy or daddy's little girl would a set just like daddy etc... and so X solider has a set of Dog Tags made with something special printed on the Dog Tag for his child or children.

The same company is on Facebook as well:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=647298478&ref=profile#/mydogtag?ref=mf
On FB, you'll notice someone had a set of Dog Tags made for their bunny; cute photo.

----------

mariomike said:
Is duplicating dog tags legal?
Good Question- I'm looking forward to someone posting the answer.

I'm thinking that, as long as the company doesn't print information on any of their dog tags which might make the the dog tags 'appear' legit, then I don't think there should be a problem with the company using dog tags for personalized gifts. 

Regarding the post I made above, the below quoted information is from the 'FAQ' section of the company's website:
What can I put on my Dogtags?
You can have any text you want stamped on the dog tags...it's entirely up to you and it will not be censored by us. Many choose to have their tags stamped in various military styles with last name, first name, social security number, blood type, and religion
http://www.mydogtag.ca/faq.php#

This information does make it seem like, one would certainly have the option to have a Dog Tag created which appeared to be legitimate.

Go to this link and scroll down to the "Canadian Armed Forces Dogtag".  The photo shown, shows "CND FORCES CND", printed at the bottom of the Dog Tag.  http://www.mydogtag.ca/military

They are actually etched by Indonesian children using old turntable needles by candle light.

FMRguy said:
Is the info stamped on the disk or is it engraved?

I'm not certain which company you are referring to specifically, but here is information about how the data is applied using the company I posted about roughly 1/2 dozen posts up.

We purchase the blank tags from the same manufacturer who supplies the United States military. The embossing data which you submit online is fed directly into our ultra-high precision computer controlled embossing machine, avoiding the possibility of human input error. Watch of movie of it in action!
http://www.mydogtag.ca/faq.php#

And here is the link for the mentioned movie:
http://www.mydogtag.ca/video.php#inaction

ballz said:
I like how their "Dogtags Preview" with two big tags stamped has St. John's spelled wrong... that's great advertising for you. I wonder why in the world they picked St. John's of all places anyway.

EDIT: K this turned out for the worst haha... Someone delete this post please (I thought you could delete your posts on your own???)? Or just leave it here as punishment.

- You could edit your post and remove all of the words, but you only have a bit over 24 hours to do that.  But, of course, I quoted you, and THAT will still be around...

HA HA HA HA !!!!

;D

I heard a story from somewhere, but I cant remember where I heard it. But the story goes that the tag that is to be filed was to be inserted into the mouth and the the jaw was to be forced to bite the tag, leaving a dental impression. This was done to allow for dental records to confirm the body. Can anyone confirm this or clarify this at all?

EDIT* Just finished reading the rest of the posts in the topic and found the link about the many tales and myths regarding dog tags.

Loachman, I forgot to mention the story involved the WWII version. I believe they were made out of a softer metal.

They're stainless steel.

Put one in your mouth and apply pressure until you leave an imprint. Tell us how your jaw feels and how many teeh you have left.

Have you read the previous posts in this thread? Have you checked Snopes.com?

Loachman said:
They're stainless steel.

Put one in your mouth and apply pressure until you leave an imprint. Tell us how your jaw feels and how many teeh you have left.

Have you read the previous posts in this thread? Have you checked Snopes.com?

Ooooh I should try that. I've got my annual checkup on Monday. I'm sure that would go over great. ;D

So I have a few questions about the CF dogtags.  :)

1) Are the text centered like in this image:
cdn2.jpg

... or are the text shifted to the left margin like this:
caf.png

2) I have looked at a few pictures in regards to how things are layed out on the dogtags. There are 2 major varaiations:

a) A/RH/POS
b) A/POS

So are there the letters "RH" between the blood type and POS/NEG?

3) Are the service numbers still made according to your SIN card number? And is the letter at the beginning of the service number random?

Thanks in advance everyone  :salute:  :cdn:

:yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow:

Tags are formatted as follows (using false data):

Code:
  A12 345 678
WA BISHOP
NRE   O/RH/NEG
CDN FORCES CDN

(For clarity, SN is center-aligned, Blood-type is right aligned. All others are left-aligned)

I don't think SN's are based off SIN's anymore. I don't see any correlation between my SN and SIN.

Back