• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Doing factual research for a novel - procedures when CAF member killed in Afghanistan

erracht

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I'm now doing my final edit of a novel I wrote, which includes fact-checking of situations that I have described. In my story, a key character joins the Canadian army and volunteers to go with the first troops sent to Afghanistan following the 9 / 11 attacks. Before 2002 is over, he gets killed near Kandahar and his ex-foster brother, the narrator, has to deal with the situation as he was designated the next-of-kin.

I am writing here looking for someone who would be knowledgeable about CAF procedures connected with this situation - what would be referred to as "mortuary affairs" or "casualty assistance" in the US military (things like the death notification, the meeting to plan the funeral, the delivery of the deceased's personal effects, and the execution of the deceased's will. These details are very important in my novel). In the relevant chapters, I have described some of these situations based partly on CAF regulations I have found online, partly on the basis of what is seen in the media, and partly on the basis of my own imagination. I don't know if everything about the net result reflects what would happen in real life.

Would there be anyone who would be willing to look at the relevant passages in my novel and comment on how I chose to describe these situations? If so, kindly send me a private message.

I won't do that as I don't have that experience but I couldn't help picking up the "ex-foster brother". Seems to me that as they were close enough that he was designated nok that he wouldn't be an ex.

There's a bio I read recently called White School, Black Memories that has a first person perspective of the process. Not exactly what you're looking for but could be insightful.

I won't do that as I don't have that experience but I couldn't help picking up the "ex-foster brother". Seems to me that as they were close enough that he was designated nok that he wouldn't be an ex.

Brotherhood is a central theme of the novel. While the eventual CAF member was a boy, he was fostered by the other character's family. They became best friends and stayed friends even after the former's placement ended. As an adult, he went into the Army and designated his ex-foster brother his NOK, as he had literally no other family - he was an orphan.

There's a bio I read recently called White School, Black Memories that has a first person perspective of the process. Not exactly what you're looking for but could be insightful.

I suppose I might find something there, though that memoir is American.

I'm thinking I would need to talk to someone who understands casualty assistance, but does the CAF have dedicated people for that task? The US military seems to, but then they have more personnel and are involved in more wars. On Youtube, it's easy to find videos instructing US military personnel on this kind of thing, but none from Canada, at least no current ones.

I suppose I might find something there, though that memoir is American.

No. The author is very much Canadian. He was the Company Sergeant Major of Charles Company, 1st Battalion The Royal Canadian Regiment during the worst of the fighting in 2006. He’s credible.

No. The author is very much Canadian. He was the Company Sergeant Major of Charles Company, 1st Battalion The Royal Canadian Regiment during the worst of the fighting in 2006. He’s credible.
Oh, I'm sorry. I misread. Thank you for the resource. Will check it out.

Back