• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Don't get sick over the holidays

putz

Inactive
Reaction score
Anyone ran in to this before?  I have a major infection. Got a prescription of an antibiotic at 10 days. My local pharmacy is saying that they can't process the antibiotic unless I pay for it as insurance requires special authorization.  They also say they will only cover 5 days.  First time in my career that I got sick over Christmas leave block.  Now I'm going to be out over $100 and thinking I won't get reimbursed. Anyone have input?

If the infection is bad & your actually really sick, I would just pay the $100 & go deal with it with the clerks upon return.  Worst case scenario, your out $100.      :dunno:

CBH99 said:
If the infection is bad & your actually really sick, I would just pay the $100 & go deal with it with the clerks upon return.  Worst case scenario, your out $100.      :dunno:

You don't say...

I had to pay out of pocket while on TD in a foreign country, they laughed at my Blue Cross card but were happy to take my credit card.

Got reimbursed to the cent including currency conversion upon return to Canada. Not exactly the same scenario, but I was shocked that I actually got my money back. Far more than 100 CAD too.

Good the hear. Pharmacy did me a solid and didn't charge for half. They'd never run into this before and pharmacist was shocked.

I had to pay out of pocket for a pain killer script post surgery because base pharmacy was closed. Blue Cross clerk was quick to reimburse it all once I was well enough to go in and bring receipts.

Take your receipts to your local base medical financial clerk, AKA, Blue Cross Clerk. You will be reimbursed for the entire price listed on the receipt.

Medications for the majority of Canadians are paid out of pocket.

Just be glad you didn't get sick in the US or some other 3rd world location where you would have received bills into the four or five digits.

I went to see a local doctor in South Africa while on vacation.  It was very reasonable at $30.  Medicine too, over the counter for my usual prescription here.

putz said:
You don't say...
That was uncalled for. Sarcasm does not become you.
You asked a question and you got a reasonable answer.

Be grateful for that.

The CAF doesn't shut down over a holiday - you can always contact your base ops, who have access to duty personnel phone numbers.  There are duty pharmacists and doctors on call 24/7.

Accessing Medications
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-health-services-benefits-drug-coverage/supplemental-health-care-coverage.page#accessing-medications

Hamish Seggie said:
That was uncalled for. Sarcasm does not become you.
You asked a question and you got a reasonable answer.

Be grateful for that.

And your actually really sick.... that is all

mariomike said:
Accessing Medications
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-health-services-benefits-drug-coverage/supplemental-health-care-coverage.page#accessing-medications

Thanks!  Only thing it seems we ever get told is if your sick over a leave period your blue Cross card will take care of everything. This explains it!

putz said:
Thanks!  Only thing it seems we ever get told is if your sick over a leave period your blue Cross card will take care of everything. This explains it!

You are welcome. Get well soon!  :)

There's also some valuable information at the bottom of the leave pass.

Back