• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Don't Panic....

winchable

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
:dontpanic:

Has anyone has anyone read the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy?

Now has anyone enjoyed it?

The movies coming out (Which Douglas Adams wrote mostly..harmless) at the end of the month and I am very excited.

I'm a lifelong member of the HHGTG Religion (lets all point out the obvious contradiction between that and my actual faith shall we)
Been reading Adams since I was 8 years old and I am pretty sure he brought it down from Mt Zion inscribed on stone tablets.

Are there any other diehards out there?

Absolutely my favourite, especially The Restaurant at the End of the Universe... have not read a funnier book, I actually have a couple copies of it sitting around too.

More of a Heinlein,  Orwell, Huxley fan.  Adams is funny thou.  That depressed robot takes the cake.

DSB

Although I'm sure you'd be depressed if you could computate humanly impossible things in your head, understand the universe, and your job involved opening doors...then I'm certain you'd be even more depressed because you were depressing everyone around you by being depressed.

"A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have" Don't forget yours  ;D

I knew I'd find more of us.

In the beginning the universe was created....this made a lot of people angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Easily the best line.

Also, has anyone ever seen the simpsons episode where Dolphins take over the world?

What about all those ballpoint pens  :p Don't you think the movie should open on a Thursday afternoon at lunchtime?  ;)

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is definately one of my favorites. I remember one day walking into a bookstore wanting something new to read. Picked it up, and didnt put it down until I was finished. Great book!

Che said:
Also, has anyone ever seen the simpsons episode where Dolphins take over the world?

I've seen it. Does it have anything to do with Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy?

It may have been an homage to "The Guide" but I'm  not sure if the Simpsons writers are Adams fans.

On the planet earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so muchâ ”the wheel, New York, wars and so onâ ”while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than manâ ”for precisely the same reasons."

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy p156

"Curiously enough, the dolphins had long known of the impending destruction of the planet Earth and had made many attempts to alert mankind to the danger; but most of their communications were misinterpreted as amusing attempts to punch footballs or whistle for tidbits, so they eventually gave up and left the Earth by their own means shortly before the Vogons arrived."

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy p156

Island Ryhno said:
What about all those ballpoint pens   :p Don't you think the movie should open on a Thursday afternoon at lunchtime?   ;)

I hope not.  I never could quite get the hang of Thursdays.

Currently my copy of Life, The Universe and Everything is making the rounds of my fellow hitchhikers here at work.

Oh, freddled gruntbuggly ....

I also thoroughly enjoyed The Meaning of Liff.  :dontpanic:

Back