• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dress During Final Release Appt

MJP

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Leaning on the collective braintrust of Army.ca for thoughts on dress for members on final release appt. Been doing some searching around the CAF and it seems that every base/release section has a different way of approaching the issue. It seems some have a fairly strict "thou shall wear DEU 3" (really the only uniform one has left when releasing), while others allow members to wear respectful civilians and some even give the mbr a choice between the two options.

In discussion with folks, there are some that approach it as releasing mbrs need to wear a uniform as it is still part and parcel of being a soldier along with good order and discipline. Others have a more pragmatic approach of what possible benefit accrues to the institution by making a person wear a uniform on their last day. I am in the latter camp and and someone whose advice I take with with the greatest respect imparted a few wise words on the subject, is it "Depart with dignity, or depart with indignation? An enlightened institution that respects its people would offer them the choice..."

So what is are the collective's thoughts on the matter?

Just so I am clear this isn't about me (well I am releasing but I care not what I wear), rather it was a discussion that started at work that I am curious about people's thoughts on it.

Last edited:
You're in until you're not. Wear the uniform proudly one last time, all it costs you is a few minutes of pressing, and lining up ribbons/pins.

I proudly walked the empty halls of Carling Campus with longer hair and stubble. I didn't wear a uniform, but I dressed respectfully...nice shoes, nice pants, collared high end polo, dress watch and my Oliver People's eyeglasses.

I've followed your posts since 2006 or so....please wear whatever you want. You've earned it, MJP. Gods speed in your future endeavours.

I'm in the uniform camp. That's what I did, so I admit my bias.

I wasn't given the option. When I got my terminal handshake from the civy in the basement of base HQ in Edmonton, it was in DEU. Didn't bother me to wear it one last time.

Does the release clerk really care what you wear? It’s not like you see the Base Commander on the way out the door. I signed the PLCC card of my releasing Captain two weeks ago, he releases in April. I gave him the Covid-19 safe head nod and appreciative comments and sent him on his way.

I lent a set of combats to a guy releasing so he could clear out in something besides #3 order of dress. However, each base as you said does something different.

I wore "business attire". My final appointment lasted less than five minutes. Handed over my RRSP paperwork and got a leave pass. I agree with Zoomie, the only person I saw was the Release Clerk.

I wore "business attire". My final appointment lasted less than five minutes. Handed over my RRSP paperwork and got a leave pass. I agree with Zoomie, the only person I saw was the Release Clerk.
Same. Yes, it was a Friday in NDHQ and civvies Friday was the norm, but in the summer golf shirts seem(ed) the norm...I chose jacket and tie as that was what I always wore on a Friday. I probably would have worn 3B if it hadn’t been a Friday, but if someone wanted to walk out in tidy civvies I don’t see the problem at all.

Leaning on the collective braintrust of Army.ca for thoughts on dress for members on final release appt. Been doing some searching around the CAF and it seems that every base/release section has a different way of approaching the issue. It seems some have a fairly strict "thou shall wear DEU 3" (really the only uniform one has left when releasing), while others allow members to wear respectful civilians and some even give the mbr a choice between the two options.

In discussion with folks, there are some that approach it as releasing mbrs need to wear a uniform as it is still part and parcel of being a soldier along with good order and discipline. Others have a more pragmatic approach of what possible benefit accrues to the institution by making a person wear a uniform on their last day. I am in the latter camp and and someone whose advice I take with with the greatest respect imparted a few wise words on the subject, is it "Depart with dignity, or depart with indignation? An enlightened institution that respects its people would offer them the choice..."

So what is are the collective's thoughts on the matter?

Just so I am clear this isn't about me (well I am releasing but I care not what I wear), rather it was a discussion that started at work that I am curious about people's thoughts on it.
My release section allows neat civilian attire for the final release appointment. And a Non-Medical Mask of course.

god knows what I wore. All I remember is the CO's face when I replied to his "Please stop by if you're in the neighbourhood" with "Oh I'm sure I'll run out of batteries eventually haha"

In discussion with folks, there are some that approach it as releasing mbrs need to wear a uniform as it is still part and parcel of being a soldier along with good order and discipline.

I've never thought of this before, but sounds like one last reason/method to screw someone around or ostracize them. We let people wear appropriate civies all the time, including every Friday at some workplaces.

I'm not sure when, but you turn in your all your kit a few days, a week, two weeks? before you actually release. So this train of thought, applied consistently, would mean we make them wear DEUs for their last week or two at work.... at best it's needlessly jerking someone around, at worst it's ostracizing them.

Last edited:
Why does it seem like people feel like wearing DEUs is some sort of punishment or serious inconvenience?
The RCN seems to have a better balanced view of #3s than the other elements. It's just another order of dress, it isn't punishment for those not quite guilty enough to deserve a charge. I suspect that if the CA and RCAF got their people to wear an office appropriate uniform on a regular basis they would have a different view on things, though a better cut/made service dress would help with that as well.

My personal take is that if wearing a uniform is too much hassle/effort on release, perhaps you should have released a few years earlier... before wearing the uniform was too much of a chore.

Because it is/was a form of punishment for screwing up not not hard enough to be charged?
Are you talking about a change parade? If so, that would imply that PT gear and operational dress would be equal as a "form of punishment".

Are you talking about a change parade? If so, that would imply that PT gear and operational dress would be equal as a "form of punishment".
No, I am talking having someone wear DEUs to tend their daily, non-operational tasks.

Back