• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dress reg's changed?

dogger1936 said:
Hi guys. Driving down Montreal road today I saw 3 per's (all maj and above) wearing their cadpat green gortex jacket over thier DEU. Has something changed to allow this or as  Isuspect these members displaying poor dress to our public in the national capital region?
Its an Ottawa thing. I personally think its very unprofessional, BUT the Land Force doesn't want to spend money on garrison type stuff and rightly so. Now if I were the CDS....I'd be saying we issued you a CF Green overcoat....bloody well wear it. But I'm not.

It's not just an Ottawa thing - I see it pretty much everywhere I go (out here included).

MM

Excellent...now we just have to find (a) if this is a local thing and or (b) if it isn't, who's the goober that's allowing this to go on - it is mainly officers I see dressing like this.  I wear either my sweater and or my CANEX windbreaker if something over top is required, as a combat jacket makes you look like a tard (or a Russian, not sure which is worse).  I have my garbedeen as well, but it rarely gets cold enough to need it.

MM

From CFP 265, Ch 6 (2008-05-14), page 2-1-4A/2-1-4B

17A. The optional wearing of Navy, Army and Air
Force operational Gore-Tex parkas with DEU No. 3
orders of dress are authorized:

a. for all Navy personnel, the Navy Gore-Tex
parka shall not be worn with No. 3B
(summer dress) (NSN 8415-21-920-2414);

b. for all Army personnel, those items are:

(1) the common olive green parka,
extreme cold weather (NSN 8415-21-
870-5571);

(2) the Improved Environment Clothing
System (IECS) parka, extreme cold
(NSN 8415-21-913-5335);

(3) the coat, cold weather (NSN 8415-21-
913-5333); and

(4) the forthcoming Canadian Army
Disruptive Pattern (CADPAT) parka
and coat;

c. for all Air Force personnel the intermediate
jacket (NSN 8415-21-910-8219) and the
cold weather parka (NSN 8415-21-910-
8195).

Perfect! Thanks for that!

I'm willing to bet MOST who see it for the first time near blow a gasket. I know I've never seen it in Petawawa, Gagetown or Edmonton. It made my Snr NCO blood boil.....on that I shoulda known the dress reg..MY BAD!!

medicineman said:
Excellent...now we just have to find (a) if this is a local thing and or (b) if it isn't, who's the goober that's allowing this to go on - it is mainly officers I see dressing like this.  I wear either my sweater and or my CANEX windbreaker if something over top is required, as a combat jacket makes you look like a tard (or a Russian, not sure which is worse).  I have my garbedeen as well, but it rarely gets cold enough to need it.

MM

You just answered your own question.  Ottawa is a lot colder than Esquimalt, and the reason you see officers wearing it is probably a fallout effect from Ottawa.  Working dress for WO and above in Ottawa is DEU, unless you're one of the "operational dot com" people at Startop.  The rest of the unwashed masses wear CADPAT to/from work most of the time.  Personally, I don't see a problem with the CADPAT jacket over DEU...although I wish they'd adopt more easily readable slip-on rank insignia like us AF types.  Nothing like seeing the maple leaf without chevrons under it until you're nearly past them...

JMesh said:
From CFP 265, Ch 6 (2008-05-14), page 2-1-4A/2-1-4B

17A. The optional wearing of Navy, Army and Air
Force operational Gore-Tex parkas with DEU No. 3
orders of dress are authorized:

b. for all Army personnel, those items are:

(4) the forthcoming Canadian Army
Disruptive Pattern (CADPAT) parka
and coat;

There you have it.

It does look dumb - makes you wonder why we were issued the overcoats  ::).

I guess I don't gotta like it, just gotta deal with it.

MM

As far as I'm concerned if your in the field, on a ship or working on a flight line then operational dress (NCDs, CADPAT) is what you should wear. If your in an office in the middle of downtown Ottawa (or any other city) you should be in DEUs. There is no reason you need to blend in with your surroundings in a office!!

Retired FDO said:
As far as I'm concerned if your in the field, on a ship or working on a flight line then operational dress (NCDs, CADPAT) is what you should wear. If your in an office in the middle of downtown Ottawa (or any other city) you should be in DEUs. There is no reason you need to blend in with your surroundings in a office!!

That's all fine and dandy until you're posted to Ottawa and you have to drive a truck....or pull a 50-pair cable coated with Tube-Lube through a conduit...or crawl on your hands and knees wiring up cubicles for power & data.  If the CF wants to reimburse people for screwing up their DEU while doing the above jobs, that's fine...but I think the money could go to better uses.  :)

dogger1936 said:
Perfect! Thanks for that!

I'm willing to bet MOST who see it for the first time near blow a gasket. I know I've never seen it in Petawawa, Gagetown or Edmonton. It made my Snr NCO blood boil.....on that I shoulda known the dress reg..MY BAD!!

The war must be over, we're back to arguing about dress in garrison.    ;D

Michael O'Leary said:
And with the inevitable pendulum-swing from " :yellow: We Support the Troops," to "soldiers and dogs keep off the lawn," the 'low-shoe mo-fos' in NDHQ will distance themselves from the CADPAT-wearing hooligans, and will insist on DEU for all.    :nod:

Occam said:
That's all fine and dandy until you're posted to Ottawa and you have to drive a truck....or pull a 50-pair cable coated with Tube-Lube through a conduit...or crawl on your hands and knees wiring up cubicles for power & data.  If the CF wants to reimburse people for screwing up their DEU while doing the above jobs, that's fine...but I think the money could go to better uses.  :)

Like I said If your in an office.....

Obviously doing dirty jobs would be the same as operational. I didn't think I needed to go through ALL the tasks that would require operational dress! I was hoping we could use our common sense about this one. But yes I agree even in the middle of downtown Ottawa there are some that NEED to be in other than DEUs.

This is about the dress regs but not the cadpat jacket with DEU.

i've seen/heard many different things depending on the base i'm at, or who i'm talking to, i'm wondering if it actually is written black on white (or whatever permutation you like) if the CADPAT fleece sweatshirt is to be worn UNDER regular combats (which would be ridiculous IMHO...why put a rank flap on it to!) or if it can replace the combat shirt or be worn overtop of it.

I've looked, but for some reason the computers at work never let me download the whole manual!  :threat:

Biggoals2bdone said:
if the CADPAT fleece sweatshirt is to be worn UNDER regular combats (which would be ridiculous IMHO...why put a rank flap on it to!) or if it can replace the combat shirt or be worn overtop of it.

Ah, the question that comes up year after year after year....

Biggoals2bdone said:
i'm wondering if it actually is written black on white (or whatever permutation you like) if the CADPAT fleece sweatshirt is to be worn UNDER regular combats (which would be ridiculous IMHO...why put a rank flap on it to!) or if it can replace the combat shirt or be worn overtop of it.

Most bases only allow it as an outer garment when in the field.
There's nothing specific in the Dress Regs except for this:

4. Base commanders or commanding officers
may authorize or restrict the wear of operational
dress in messes and institutes and other
designated areas.

Biggoals2bdone said:
This is about the dress regs but not the cadpat jacket with DEU.

I've seen/heard many different things depending on the base I'm at, or who I'm talking to, I'm wondering if it actually is written black on white (or whatever permutation you like) if the CADPAT fleece sweatshirt is to be worn UNDER regular combats (which would be ridiculous IMHO...why put a rank flap on it to!) or if it can replace the combat shirt or be worn overtop of it.

I've looked, but for some reason the computers at work never let me download the whole manual!  :threat:

I am sure that if you find another version of the manual, (look at the file size) you will be able to find the complete manual.

If you want to get pickie; why is there a rank flap on the CADPAT shirt, if you are going to wear a jacket, parka or rainjacket over it?  >:D  Why is there a rank flap on the parka, if you are going to wear a cam cover over it?  >:D  >:D

Retired FDO said:
Like I said If your in an office.....

Obviously doing dirty jobs would be the same as operational. I didn't think I needed to go through ALL the tasks that would require operational dress! I was hoping we could use our common sense about this one. But yes I agree even in the middle of downtown Ottawa there are some that NEED to be in other than DEUs.

Just making sure you're aware that with very few exceptions, that's all there is in Ottawa - offices.  The guys who fix your computers work in offices.  The folks who pull cable work in offices.  The truckers at Uplands dwell in cubicles too, when they're not in their vehicles.

Blanket rules dealing with just about anything don't work particularly well in the NCR.

Topic merged.

As you can see, we have been discussing these points for the last decade.

Michael O'Leary said:

;D
If it makes it any better ...I was up getting a MRI on a injury sustained by those ******** over there! :)

Back