• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Drones, the Air Littoral, and the Looming Irrelevance of the USAF

DARPA - Human F16 vs AI F16

Interesting but I wonder if applying AI to create a dog-fighting unmanned fighter is really the most useful application of the technology?

How much dog-fighting do we expect to take place in modern air combat? Yes I know the same argument was made leading up to Vietnam with the result being cannons added back into fighter designs, but sensors and missiles have advance a long way since then.

Wouldn't a better application of AI be in long range missiles that can be launched far outside the engagement window of the enemy platforms (even further out than 100% positive target identification can be confirmed) and the smart missiles confirm and maneuver toward the target?

Interesting but I wonder if applying AI to create a dog-fighting unmanned fighter is really the most useful application of the technology?

How much dog-fighting do we expect to take place in modern air combat? Yes I know the same argument was made leading up to Vietnam with the result being cannons added back into fighter designs, but sensors and missiles have advance a long way since then.

Wouldn't a better application of AI be in long range missiles that can be launched far outside the engagement window of the enemy platforms (even further out than 100% positive target identification can be confirmed) and the smart missiles confirm and maneuver toward the target?
Until the platforms can evade the BVR missiles and close, therefore dog-fighting.

In the shorter term, I expect (if this hasn’t already happened) RPAS folks with USAF/USN Weapons Instructor quals.

Until the platforms can evade the BVR missiles and close, therefore dog-fighting.

In the shorter term, I expect (if this hasn’t already happened) RPAS folks with USAF/USN Weapons Instructor quals.

Dogfighting Variant?

Tomahawks and Valkyries dodging Patriots and AMRAAMs?

General Atomics is positioning a future version of its MQ-1C Gray Eagle combat drone as a potential alternative to the Army’s now-canceled Future Attack Reconnaissance Aircraft effort, the president of its aeronautics unit told Breaking Defense.

The California-based defense firm intends to pitch a short takeoff and landing version of the Gray Eagle — what it calls Gray Eagle STOL — to fulfill the armed scout mission now that the service has halted work on a manned helicopter and shifted the focus to drones.

“We’re trying to jump into that [opportunity],”

Add these?

They work for the Kratos line.

Perun just did a good video on drones, UAV, FPV's

Back