• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

drug testing

I concur with the idea that testing is mandatory, but it should be conducted on a random basis with no warning to the members. This I believe was the original plan when the testing was first implemented in the 80's. As far as I know "recreational pharmacuticals" with a few exceptions are still illegal. Where I still in, I would not want to be on an operational deployment with another member whose head is full of dandelion fluff.......

FWIW, as a reservist with 2 and a half years in, I've not once been drug tested, nor do I know of any reservists who's ever mentioned being tested either.

That's all I'll say, as anything else I may wish to add could be misconstrued or taken out of context.

I've been tested. I agree with it and have no problems with it. Zero tolerance...it's in the rules...follow the rules and you don't need to worry.

I believe in the testing. But I am not commenting on the Task Force issue. Meh...

"Zero tolerance" says it all and rightly so. We're not playing with water guns here, people's lives depend on you to be sober, clear minded and drug-free. I agree with mandatory, randomized testing.

If I remember correctly from the briefings in BMQ, and correct me if I'm wrong, there's 3 types of testing that the military conducts.

Blanket testing, where EVERYONE in a targeted group is testing, such as all members of the TF being tested.

Randomized testing, where random individuals are tested, or a certain percentage of a unit are tested. If a large percentage of the tests return as positive, blanket testing can ensue.

and last, targeted testing. Where the chain of command has reason to believe that specific individuals may be abusing narcotics, and they are tested.

Course, this is all from memory, and knowing me, it could be flawed.

There are human rights issues to drug testing. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to drum up the references. If I recall correctly, the only time someone can be ordered to undergo drug testing is:
a. due cause, as in caught in possession, or in the vicinity of drug activity (i.e in a car when someone else caught for possesion)
b. as part of C&P and post program counselling.

As far as I remember, unless regs have changed, blanket testing is not permitted.

St. Micheal's Medical Team said:
There are human rights issues to drug testing. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to drum up the references. If I recall correctly, the only time someone can be ordered to undergo drug testing is:
a. due cause, as in caught in possession, or in the vicinity of drug activity (i.e in a car when someone else caught for possesion)
b. as part of C&P and post program counselling.

As far as I remember, unless regs have changed, blanket testing is not permitted.

Its a crutch used by the CF not to do it -- the civilian sector does it, and the SCoC has affirmed testing IS not a human right issue.

St. Micheal's Medical Team said:

QR&O chapter 20 (and DAOD 5019-3) details when / why / how a CO can order a drug test.  It's fairly straightforward.  It's also a chargable offence to refuse to provide a sample.  Regardless, like the others so far, I agree.  There's a reason we all swore to not do drugs.  As for testing, we gave up some rights when we joined the military, and rightly so.  I have no problem with this being one of the civil rights that are impunged upon.  IMO, of course.

T

Just a word of caution to anyone in the CF who actually knows the results - or even the approximate results - of the testing:  

STFU.

If it the results are to be released to the public, it better not happen here first.

I think we should have regular and random testing - draw a number from 0 to 9 once a week (or month, whatever interval is chosen) and if the last digit of your service number matches you report for testing.

Regular testing would discourage people from taking up the habit in the first place...

I agree with the zero tolerance rule. Is there a blood alcohol test?

Miss Jacqueline said:
I agree with the zero tolerance rule. Is there a blood alcohol test?
Sure there is. But let's put the alcohol issue into context here. It's usage IS legal. It's usage in the CF is also governed by regulation for certain circumstances such as in-theatre restrictions/X number of hours non-drinking prior to duty etc.

Two totally different apples and oranges here.

One is illegal and it's use is prohibited by well known regulations at all times by members of the CF, as it should be; the other

Is legal and it's consumption by CF members is governed by well-known regulations at certain times, as it should be.

Thanks. The alcohol rule had me thinking. It makes sense now.

TCBF said:
Just a word of caution to anyone in the CF who actually knows the results - or even the approximate results - of the testing: 

STFU.

If it the results are to be released to the public, it better not happen here first.

MODERATOR NOTE: IF THIS DOES HAPPEN IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM WE WOULD USE ANY MEANS POSSIBLE TO BRING YOU UP TO YOUR COC..

tomlinsk said:
I registered on the site so I could ask anyone who wants to give their opinion -- one way or the other -- anonymously or not -- on the "safety senstive drug testing" that's now being done on all CF members who are getting ready to be deployed to Afghanistan in February.
Testing is good.  We don't want people that will become a liability when lives depend on them.

tomlinsk said:
I'm also interested in what the results of those test might be.
Take that question to official channels.  It will not be answered here.

Out of curiosity, are there civilian occupations that are subject to the same testing? Are police officers, airline pilots, doctors, etc. expected to submit?

Doesn't the NHL and other professional sports leagues test?  As I understand it, Ricky Williams runs for the Argonauts because he was suspended in the US for a year (or two?)

A study out of UVic, indicates approx 10% of workplaces in Canada use drug testing.  http://www.carbc.uvic.ca/Cdn_Workplace_Health.pdf#search='drug%20testing%20programs'

Section 3 – Testing
  Section 3 – Vérification

20.06 – MANDATORY URINE TESTING
  20.06 – ANALYSE D’URINE OBLIGATOIRE

(1) Every officer or non-commissioned member shall provide a sample of urine when ordered to do so pursuant to any of articles 20.08 (Deterrent Testing) to 20.13 (Blind Testing).

Above is a quotation from QR&Os. If you are in the CF and are using drugs you will get caught eventually. I say kudos to the new drug policy which can be found on DAOD 5019-3.  I agree with the CDS wanting to test all soldiers prior to deploying on operations.
    As to our esteemed friend from the media I say find another source to get your info as I am sure your true goal is to get a scoop on the numbers/percentage of CF members using drugs. You will not get what you want from this forum.

Back