• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dutch Choose Bushmaster IMVs for Afghan Mission (updated)

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Dutch Choose Bushmaster IMVs for Afghan Mission (updated)
15-Jun-2008 17:13 EDT
Article Link

Despite ongoing US procurement of M1151/M1152 Hummers, the retreat from Jeep-like vehicles is accelerating among Western militaries. Insufficiently protected against land mine threats in modern conflict zones, and insufficiently protectable due to inherent design limitations, conventional vehicles like G-Wagens, Land Rovers, and HMMWVs are being replaced in manufacturer lineups and military acquisitions by more protectable truck-based models, or by dedicated mine-resistant patrol vehicles. DID has covered the USA’s ramped-up purchases of M1117 Guardian ASVs, as well as its 15,000+ vehicle MRAP program that includes PVI/RAFAEL Golans, BAE’s RG-31s/RG-33s/Caimans, Force Protection’s Cougars, and Navistar/Plasan’s MaxxPro. We’ve also covered Iraq and Britain’s acquisition of Force Protection’s Cougar variants; Belgium’s buys of Dingo and Iveco Panther vehicles as the mainstays of its future fleet; Bulgaria’s purchase of M1117s; Canada’s emergency buy of RG-31 Nyalas and emergency order for mine clearance vehicles; Denmark’s order for MOWAG Eagle IV vehicles (no longer HMMWV-based like the Eagle III) and Duro trucks; Luxembourg’s Dingo-2 PRV reconnaissance vehicles, Norway and Spain’s emergency procurement of Iveco MLV/Panthers, and the Czech Republic’s November 2007 buy of Dingo-2s and Iveco MLVs. Public tenders for more vehicles will soon be underway in Spain and the Czech Republic, even as nations that were ahead of the curve continue to add to their stocks: Germany’s additional 149 KMW Dingo 2 vehicles, and Australia’s near-doubling of its original order by adding 293 Bushmasters, offer ample evidence of the seriousness with which they view the global trend toward IED land mines in conflict zones.

During the summer of 2006, the Netherlands also adopted Australia’s Bushmaster IMV from Thales-ADI, a dedicated mine-resistant patrol vehicle that has proven itself with Australian forces in Iraq, to strengthen its Uruzgun force as NATO takes on greater responsibility in Southern Afghanistan.

The agreement was concluded in close cooperation with TWO friendly foreign governments, and it has just placed its 3rd order…
More on link

Back