• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Norwegians consider G-wagon inadequate

Thought that's what I said. Offered you some slack, didn't I? So what's your answer(s). You didn't manage to get around to those in your last post.

Oh, thanks for the slack. I have been too busy to give a detailed response, but I will. Having coffee with a buddy that just came back from A stan last month. I will seek his opinion after showing him the print out to see if Im off base here or not.

There's another thread going on aboud damaged vehicles that has made commentaries about the GWagon being restricted from being used in the Mountains and such area..... Nyalah have been given the job of filling the gap - good truck

BTW - the Norwegians do have GWagons..... just not the same model as the one we use - it's smaller/narrower and, from what I have heard, less stable than the one we went with.

geo said:
BTW - the Norwegians do have GWagons..... just not the same model as the one we use - it's smaller/narrower and, from what I have heard, less stable than the one we went with.

That's the hard top version of the Mercedes "Wolf", smaller, 2 doors, more like a modern Iltis.

Mike/Geo:

Here's one.  This is the OC's rover from the Norwegian recce sqn in Kabul - late 2004.  The pic is mine.  We'd launched the QRF downtown as part of a major incident outer cordon...

biggest comment I've had on the Norwegians is that they will jurry rig - bolt down MG mounts onto the floorboards without necessarily having the framed up support to back it up........

(think they've been following Red/green show for too long ;)

Well, I never did see that .50 cut loose!  ;)

You should have seen what was done to some of the Nissans they were using...!  :eek:  Great bunch, though - I have all the time in the world for the Norgies...

I like the .50!!  >:D

The Germans, Hungarians, Norwegians and a few others were running a lot of them... the Hungarians had a cage around theirs, riot-style... whatever works I guess...
I would have liked to mod my nissan or toyota...  ;D

I had a Nissan that the NSE kindly fitted with GPS and ballistic blankets (along with removing the identifiers - it was likely still at Warehouse when you were there).  It was a complete POS, though...the roads battered it into junk in pretty short order.  We generally used a Brit Toyota that was so bashed up it attracted very little attention from the locals...a decent way to gain force protection...

Yep (329'r?), less than 7000km and completely busted up... the NSE had to tow it to CJ for me once. I used a KMNB Toyota Land Cruiser Prado as my daily veh... it handled the big-assed potholes on violet much better, no blast blankets though...  :D

That's the one!  ;D  You've gotta love it when the Canadian dispatcher is apologizing for the vehicle as he's handing you the keys...!  Came in mighty handy, though...

I know the recce guys would love to have a G wagon you could drop the front windshield down.

I signed for the Nissan Terranos for CIMIC, brand new, in 03. By the time we left in Feb 04, I wouldn't have given you $100.00 for any of them. Well, maybe a $100.00 Canadian. Mind, for 12 guys (six vehicles), plus interpreters, we did twice as many patrols as any other outfit in the Brigade Group, and ranged further than most. So the vehicles took a major beating. All the ballistic blankets would have done was keep our pieces together, and the boys attached to my crotch.

CFL said:
I know the recce guys would love to have a G wagon you could drop the front windshield down.

That's the one that Arm'd Recce asked for. With the MG mounts, MBSGDs, roll bars and stowage racks. Could have been bought off the shelf, as is. No special modifications. But somehow we ended up with the soccer mom version. Mind, we'd prefer a real armoured car, like a VBL, or similar but what are you gonna do, when no one asks or consults the end user.

recceguy said:
I signed for the Nissan Terranos for CIMIC, brand new, in 03. By the time we left in Feb 04, I wouldn't have given you $100.00 for any of them. Well, maybe a $100.00 Canadian. Mind, for 12 guys (six vehicles), plus interpreters, we did twice as many patrols as any other outfit in the Brigade Group, and ranged further than most. So the vehicles took a major beating. All the ballistic blankets would have done was keep our pieces together, and the boys attached to my crotch.

+1 on the blast blankets... I was considering zap-strapping two together to make a Kevlar Moo-Moo, but it didn't work out  ;D

Tearing down old-jbad at ~80-100kph almost destroyed mine, the potholes once you got near CW were just retarded... I actually bent two of the steel wheels on my Land Cruiser and had to bang the rims out with a sledge and cold chisel, what the hell it was an Italian veh, drive it like you stole it... I also cracked two windshields and half-ripped of a bumper... plus too many scrapes dents and dings to mention from giving taxis the rub in traffic... Kabul EATS vehs! seen a strut mount ripped clean off the frame of a GWagon from a pothole... real road-warrior stuff... madness!

........but those yellow and white Ladas are just like the Energiser bunny....................they just keep going, and going, an goi........ ;D

recceguy said:

Rover troop signed for about 20 of those as well and did our level best to kill them before handing them over to the Van Doos. I actualy think we had the worst record in theater for traffic accidents, one of our guys cracked up a Terrano with less than 50 kms on it. He rear-ended an LSVW while transporting the brand new Nissan from CJ to Warehouse. We had to bitch just to get the blast blankets BTW. Still they felt safer( even though it was all psycological ) than the iltis we also drove around .

I guess this sums up what I was saying.....nice!

"O'Connor disclosed Tuesday that most of the military's jeep-like G-Wagons will be confined to the Canadian base in Kandahar and, in general, soldiers will venture out in armoured vehicles."
(copy CP Vancouver Sun, Jim Briskoll)

put as much armour around you as you want, I'll still blow your ass up.

Best possible defence against attacks is aggressive, intelligent patrollinig. Gather info, isolate the enemy, then shoot him in the face.

paracowboy said:
Best possible defence against attacks is aggressive, intelligent patrollinig. Gather info, isolate the enemy, then shoot him in the face.

After training to aim for the centre of mass, wouldn't that mean you're a terrible shot? :p

But yes, if someone wants to kill you badly enough, they'll find a way, armour or no armour.

Back