• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dutch ships and designs and the possibilities for Canada

So the things are heating up(Walrus replacement)this is from the dutch defence forum in wich we discussed the subject;From the Volkskrant part on is my reaction on the matter.
Opposition fears' second JSF to purchase submarines [/ b]

The intention of Defence to allocate at least 2.5 billion euros for the purchase of four submarines meets with skepticism by several opposition parties in parliament. They fear a repeat of the problems that occurred previously when purchasing the JSF fighter and emphasize that it regards them 'no done deal yet. " But the coalition seems to already.

Defence Spokesman Van Dijk of the SP says a 'déjà vu' burden by having the JSF, "Even when the submarines you see that as a Lower House fait accompli likely to be placed, and also now that you experience the power of the defense lobby . Who first picks up the minister and then the government parties. Formally, the Chamber has it to say, but can you serious doubts put into practice. " His party is still against buying "expensive submarines.

Scepticism also can be heard at the PVV, "You look at these kinds of projects always that the costs of failure in the long run much higher than originally budgeted. It involves a lot of money, but what we get in return? "Asks the spokesperson Roon himself. At GroenLinks spokesman Grashoff lives not only the fear of high costs (a JSF 2 here lies in wait), but also the conviction that the defense money could be better spent than on submarines. He sees Defence prefer to purchase equipment that can be deployed in UN peacekeeping missions, "Then you have very little of this type of toy. D66 assumes a neutral position - spokesman Belhaj insists above all on "the great importance" of early involvement of the Court and the Ministry of Finance. Purpose: To keep the costs under control.
Positive state CDA MP Raymond Knops, once worked in the Air Force, facing the purchase. He is convinced that submarines have "absolutely positive value. Yet he also thinks it is still too early to give all green light, "First is to determine whether there is a real need for it and what the consequences are for the total defense budget.

For Knops is still far from that Dutch companies should get the billion order. "If this is going to cost a billion extra because we allow it to Dutch companies, I think we should not do it." established the need to purchase, the industry must respect him in the waiting room.

The government parties PvdA and VVD is already talk of green light. Labour spokesman Eijsink speaks of a 'good investment' and points to the ability of the boats' operate unnoticed by the coast, for example, to gather information or to enforce an arms embargo. The VVD, which supports in this regard the plans of their own Minister Hennis was not available for comment Friday.

Volkskrant, March 4 2016, 21:24

These reactions were to be expected from the relevant parties. : Glare:

For Mr. Van Dijk:
-deja vu is nonsense, no foreign project (I hope, I think) so you have better control on the whole,.
No Lockheed Martin who at every turn will tell you that the delivery date is postponed, because (again unexpected) problems that can be solved in the next "block" upgrade which carry an extra charge,again: hrmph:
Besides (and my mind)this aircraft is still not up to expectations (demands) that were made by all partners in its development (which were promised so, simply put)
Pepper price is also nonsense (ever so) however pepper now costs  next to nothing: devil: you have to take anyway about 800-1Billion each it is just a "normal" price if you want the "Best"  (we have/had the best , the Walrus, but my opinion is disputed  abroad;)) and we should want the same again (in which a small country can be in BIG, shipbuilding).

For Mr. De Roon:
-We Get  employment / job security in return, outside the fact that we remain in the top of the undersea area in the world (SSK) in terms of range, stealth and intelligense gathering, just to name a few. : P
Plus of course we remain a valued partner in these areas (there are more) for our allies. (You want to play at 't highest level then you got to have something to put on the table, simple)

For Mr. Grashoff
-On what are we going to spend this money (again to care?)
What material for peacekeeping flags for the schools crossing patrols(ok I exaggerate: big-smile:)? But what is used in peacekeeping missions, military equipment so I see no problem.
Besides if, for example (as already often mentioned) shipping To secure route or the ports to the other, it 's very useful if you will have boats (alone' t fact that he / or anyone who wants to disrupt the peace process knows / thinks there may be boats somewhere, ours or someone else will make sure that some plans will not be implemented or at least differently)

For Mr. Knops;
-You're not Going to have vessels of this type being build by someone else, if you're able to "do it yourself (I really hope) outside 's security, I mean you might as well say what you  can do and can not do (will be all  on the site of the foreign company, "look what we have built") Let's keep this particular a netherlands built(as much as possible), outside the fact that if you do this  you give a clear signal in terms of capabillety (most difficult branch of "sport", build submarines)

For my fellow forum mate Seaweed, idd I meant so(this was an answer to replace "real" boats with drones)
Cable on a (very) large role, then a Dutch ship somewhere off the coast (we pretend nothing happened); D
-Dropt From a Hercules ( we flew here by chance: big-smile:) outside 't whether the thing survived the fall
Oh crap another submarine now what? Oh wait, we still have Walrus let's just send these boats, (assuming that they are not replaced by the "real" boats).
-And Idd drones should be used in conjunction with real boats (if possible)

g, walter

ps Netherlands should build such a boat again as the Walrus of which the Americans (again) think "DAMN" We should have build this thing (or be able to) This is not a nonsense remark the US was charmed / impressed with the Walrus ( still are ) and you hear / read on foreign sites, the idea of ​​"we should build them again (ssk) by Rickover put away as" redundant "

future Submarine
On Wednesday, March 16th, 2016, the Committee for Defence studies the future of the Dutch submarine. Therefore, the committee will organize a technical briefing and a roundtable with experts from home and abroad.

This was to make out what the benefits are for the Netherlands by having subs.First steps in replacing them.

There were experts from Sweden,Norway,Germany,TNO and Marin(as well some admirals ret.)

When there's more news i will post it here.

gr,walter

Well it seems there are more ships to come(replacements)on the horizon,starting the view on what's needed:

MAST Europe 2016: Netherlands, Belgium move together on MCM, frigate replacements

Richard Scott, Amsterdam - IHS Jane's Navy International
22 June 2016

Key Points
A new stand-off MCM capability is planned from the mid-2020s
The replacement frigate class will be optimized for ASW
The Netherlands and Belgium are advancing bilateral study and scoping work as they look to collaborate on the replacement of their current M-frigates and Tripartite-class mine-countermeasures (MCM) vessels from the mid-2020s.

While neither programme has yet entered the acquisition phase, the two nations have now begun to define key platform and capability requirements together, Air Commodore Richard Laurijssen, director for weapon systems and agencies in the Netherlands Defence Materiel Organization (DMO), told the MAST Europe 2016 conference in Amsterdam on 21 June.

ps,
Belgium has said it wants 2 new frigates and 6 MCM vessels,hopefully the Netherlands will go for  4 frigates(badly needed,since we have to few ships right now to do all things) and 6 MCM vessels as well

So a follow on,on my last post(we've had to wait a while  for it  [Xp

Just on the news here in Belgium,where i live. [:D

Belgium and The Netherlands will replace the M-class and the MCM vessels(tripartite)on a 1 on 1 base,great news. :salute:  (with the hope of mine that maybe there will be 2 extra)

Next the Walrus -class,hope we'll hear something about these vessels(subs)too in the near future,in my mind these will probably be a A-26 variant(bigger,oceangoing,etc)

gr,walter

ps,Belgium allocated 2 billion to do so,which is(in my view)a bit optimistic(but hey,you never know.)

LOL this is what got when i goggled Walrus Class submarine

Comrade_d5e81e_5497312.jpg

On a more serious note https://rbth.com/news/2016/11/09/dutch-sub-tried-to-approach-russian-aircraft-carrier-group-in-mediterranean_646383

Colin P said:
LOL this is what got when i goggled Walrus Class submarine

Comrade_d5e81e_5497312.jpg

On a more serious note https://rbth.com/news/2016/11/09/dutch-sub-tried-to-approach-russian-aircraft-carrier-group-in-mediterranean_646383

Yep that's what they look like. [:D

The latter newspost,well still not known(whether it's true or not),i mean the Ruski's are known to make up stories,but it could be true.

Patrol submarine
Walrus class submarine

The Walrus class patrol submarines replaced Dolfijn and Potvis classes

Entered service 1986
Crew 52 men
Diving depth (operational) 450 m
Diving depth (maximum) 620 m
Dimensions and displacement
Length 67.7 m
Beam 8.4 m
Draught 6.6 m
Surfaced displacement 2 390 tons
Submerged displacement 2 740 tons
Propulsion and speed
Surfaced speed 13 knots
Submerged speed 20 knots
Diesel engines 3 x 6 300 hp
Electric motors 1 x 6 910 hp
Armament
Missiles Sub-Harpoon anti-ship missiles
Torpedoes 4 x 533-mm bow tubes for 20 Mk 48 dual-role torpedoes
Other up to 40 influence ground mines in place of missiles and torpedoes

Based on the US Navy's teardrop-hulled Barbel class of conventional submarine, the Dutch Zwaardvis and Tijgerhaai of the Zwaardvis class were ordered in the mid-1960s. Because of the requirement to use indigenous Dutch equipment wherever possible, the design was modified to include the placement of all noise-producing machinery on a false deck with spring suspension for silent running. The two boats entered service with the Dutch navy in 1972 and were decommissioned in 1994-95. A buyer is still sought for the boats.

At the same time the need began to arise to start the design of a new class to replace the boats of the elderly Dolfijn and Potvis classes. The new design evolved as the Walrus class, which was based on the basic hull form of the Zwaardvis with similar dimensions and silhouette but with more automation allowing a significant reduction in the number of crew needed, more modern electronics, X-layout control surfaces and fabrication in the French MAREI high-tensile steel allowing a 50 percent increase in the maximum diving depth.

The first unit, the Walrus, was laid down in 1979 in Rotterdam (where all the boats were built) for commissioning in 1986 and the Zeeleeuw a year later for service entry in 1987. A further two, the Dolfijn and Bruinvis, were laid down in 1986 and 1988 for commissioning in 1993 and 1994.

In 1987-88 Taiwan received two Improved Zwaardvis or Hai Lung-class units Hai Lung and Hai Hu. These are planned to carry Hsiung Feng II SSMs.

Here's the first step in building and replacing the M-class and the Tripartite(Alkmaar-class) ships(mcm)

Vandeput and sign Dutch colleague 'letter of intent to purchase ships

24/11/16 12:15 - Updated at 12:18

Source: Belga

(Belga) Defence Steven Vandeput (N-VA) Minister and his Dutch colleague Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert signed Wednesday the Memorandum of Understanding for the joint acquisition of new frigates and mine countermeasures vessels. The intention is that following the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding and the corresponding contracts within two years.

Vandeput and sign Dutch colleague 'letter of intent to purchase ships

Vandeput and sign Dutch colleague 'letter of intent to purchase ships © BELGA

Recently it was announced that Belgium and the Netherlands to replace their M-class frigates and minesweepers. Following a conference on the Benelux cooperation in the field of Defence at the Royal Higher Institute for Defence in Brussels two ministers will next week sign a letter of intent. " Belgium and the Netherlands will each have two new frigates and minesweepers six new purchases. To replace the frigates Dutch Defence will take charge of the file itself, the mine ships the Belgian Defence. The acquisition cost of the vessels is estimated at 1 billion euros for the two frigates and one billion for the six mine ships. (Belga)

Here's a bit more news about the forthcoming new ships.

Seems like the new MCM(replacement for the tripartite class)will be bigger and will be build first then at least 4 new frigates(ASW specialized) 4000-5000 tons,quite a bit bigger then the M-class will be build directly after the 12 MCM ships.

Belgium for sure 2 new frigates,Netherlands maybe more,depends on study.

Here's the article:

Belgium and the Netherlands Sign Letter of Intent for the Purchase of Sixteen Ships
(Source: Belga news agency; published Nov 30, 2016)
(Published in French; unofficial translation by Defense-Aerospace.com)
BRUSSELS --- Belgian and Dutch defense ministers Steven Vandeput and Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert signed a Letter of Intent (LoI) in Brussels on Wednesday evening for the joint but unprecedented acquisition of four new frigates and twelve minehunters, two programs worth about four billion euros in total.

Dutch Defense will take charge of the replacement of the frigates by multi-purpose ships displacing 4,000 to 5,000 tonnes, with a reduced crew of 80 people and specialized in anti-submarine warfare. Its Belgian counterpart will take charge of the minehunter program.

The objective is to sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in 2018, as well as the corresponding contracts for the acquisition.

This joint Belgian-Dutch purchase, the most important ever, is a "logical step, but a rather unique one", commented Mrs Hennis-Plasschaert. Both ministers view the agreement as a concrete example of European defense cooperation. "Collaboration is crucial because we can do more together than separately," said Vandeput.

The ships should be delivered between 2023 and 2030, with the minehunters coming first to replace the existing tripartite (CMT, formerly jointly developed by the two countries and France) minehunters which will have to be retired from service in 2023.

Belgium currently operates eight such minehunters, which will be replaced by six new-generation vessels which will largely use remote-controlled machines to neutralize naval mines. Six vessels will suffice, thanks to this new concept, which will also make it possible to withdraw the command and logistic support building Godetia, at the end of her service life after a 50-year career, Vandeput said at a conference at the Royal Higher Institute of Defense (IRSD).

Belgium and the Netherlands also plan to jointly acquire at least four multi-purpose frigates intended to replace, over the next ten years, the frigates currently in service in the two navies (The Belgian Navy's Léopold 1 and Louise Marie, and the Dutch Navy’s last two remaining M-frigates).

Ms Hennis, however, was cautious on Wednesday about the number of ships to acquire, stressing that studies were still ongoing in the Netherlands on the size of the requirement -- unlike the situation in Belgium where the two frigates and six minehunters are included in the "2030 Strategic Vision on Defense,” which was approved at the end of June by the Belgian government.

The two ministers also announced a strengthening of cooperation between the two navies for joint operation of the Dutch Joint Support Ship, the Zr. Ms. Karel Doorman, and the training of one or two Belgian amphibious companies in the future “ranger” battalions (currently para-commandos) of the Belgian army.

The Belgian and Dutch navies are already collaborating intensively under the so-called "Admiral Benelux" (ABNL) agreement, which in 1996 created a joint binational operational headquarters in Den Helder (northwestern Netherlands).

This cooperation has been extended over the years to the field of maintenance -- the M-frigates are maintained in Den Helder and the CMT minehunters in Belgium’s port of Zeebrugge -- and training, for example naval cooks are trained in Belgium.

-ends-

Dutch Submarines:First of the new class to be in the water by 2025.

Maybe of interest for Canada too.

There's a bit more known now:

- expeditionary-check
-newly designed-check
-air-independent propulsion (AIP) -check
-Industrial Partnership Saab/Damen-check

http://saab.com/region/netherlands/dutch-submarines/

The A26 is a smaller sub good for the European waters and coastal, Saab offers the Type 612, basically a upsized A26 according to what I read, but has never built one. If the Aussie-French deal goes ahead, I think they will still be a better fit for us.

Colin P said:
The A26 is a smaller sub good for the European waters and coastal, Saab offers the Type 612, basically a upsized A26 according to what I read, but has never built one. If the Aussie-French deal goes ahead, I think they will still be a better fit for us.

Could be Colin,i just wrote down what is known(a bit)
-Another option could be an "upgraded Walrus hull(modernized),since these hullforms are basically very good,and a sort of A-26 command tower.It will be a bit bigger that's sure.

https://www.twente.com/twenty-twente/de-nieuwe-radar-van-thales-is-een-game-changer/

This is an article about the upgraded Smart-L EWC now on board ZR.MS Evertsen is now able to detect missiles ans satellites from about 2000 kms,it's the longest"looking"/"seeing"radar system in the world,hurrah for the Dutchies. [:p  (in dutch)

Seems we were in Halifax,Nova Scotia [:)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCjDIGuXUAACMK0.jpg

[Photo source:Craig Baines @ www.twitter.com/MapleSeaLeaf ]

How much LOX do the Gotlands (or equivalent) carry and how long would that last (generally, not anti-OPSEC detail)?

Regards
G2G

Gotlands use Stirling engines, I believe.

The Germans are using Fuel Cells.  Both need oxygen right enough.  But the time endurance is measured in weeks.  I don't know about the distance endurance.  I am guessing that distance from one edge of the ice pack to the other might be a consideration.

Kind of an interesting article here.

http://www.hisutton.com/World%20survey%20of%20AIP%20submarines.html

On the subject of Canadian Opportunities Missed......

We have a company that is a world leader in submersible technology

http://www.ise.bc.ca/auv.html

We have a company building fuel cell vehicles

http://ballard.com/about-ballard/ballard-in-canada

Good2Golf said:
How much LOX do the Gotlands (or equivalent) carry and how long would that last (generally, not anti-OPSEC detail)?

Regards
G2G

I hope you did see that it was a Walrus-class(Dutch Navy) [:p

About the Swedish Gotlands,i don't know,but will try to find something(if possible).

gr,walter

Karel Doorman said:
I hope you did see that it was a Walrus-class(Dutch Navy) [:p

About the Swedish Gotlands,i don't know,but will try to find something(if possible).

gr,walter

What AIP system does the Walrus have?

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
What AIP system does the Walrus have?

Regards
G2G

To be simple,none. ;D 

Propulsion is Diesel/electric.(There are three SEMPT-Pielstick 12-cylinder, four-stroke diesel engines. The lone main motor is an electric motor is manufactured by Holec.)

Range: 18,500 km (10,000 nmi) at 9 kn (17 km/h) or +/-60 days surfaced.

Speed: Surfaced:13 knots  Submerged: 21 knots

The Newly designed(in process)probably will have a AIP system,not definitely known yet.

I suppose that's why I specified the Gotlands, when posing the LOX question about AIP.  The A-26 specifically referred to AIP technology, so I was interested in what would likely go onto the new Dutch boats, not the old Walruses.  ;)

Tot straks,
G2G

Good2Golf said:
I suppose that's why I specified the Gotlands, when posing the LOX question about AIP.  The A-26 specifically referred to AIP technology, so I was interested in what would likely go onto the new Dutch boats, not the old Walruses.  ;)

Tot straks,
G2G

Well not a lot is known about the new ones,it could be a new design,an evolution on the Walrus(perhaps with a A-26 tower),or a A-26NL.

What is known is that they probably will have AIP and will be expeditionary,that's about it.

When there's more news i'll share it.

Hopelijk zo snel mogelijk(as soon as possible i hope)

gr,Walter

Back