• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

E-Bay and Customs

Ex-Dragoon

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had to deal with ebay goodies shipped from the US and how much Customs charged? Does Canada Post get in touch and you pay there or whats the scoop? Thanks for any help.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Just wondering if anyone had to deal with ebay goodies shipped from the US and how much Customs charged? Does Canada Post get in touch and you pay there or whats the scoop? Thanks for any help.

Usually whenever I ordered anything off the net (ebay or not), and I happened to incur customs fees, Canada Post would send me a little post-card thingy saying your package is at x-post office for pick up between this time and that time.  When I picked up the package I had to pay the fees then and there, before they would give me my stuff.

Do not have anything shipped into Canada via UPS because not only will you definitely get hit with duties/taxies but also because UPS charges something like a $35.00 - $45.00 brokerage fee to collect those duties on your behalf. Stick with the postal system, because even if you do end up paying, the collection fee is only $5.00. I have also noticed that anything sent to my workplace never gets assessed PST, only GST.

Customs levies different rates on different classes of items. Even if something is marked as a gift, you can still get dinged.

I've been in the situation with Canada Post, UPS and FedEx. Canada Post will expect payment before giving you the package. If you have a courier account they will release the package and charge your account. If you don't have an account you pay before getting the package, either at the door or at a depot.

For Ebay, if sent by airmail, its completely up to the seller.

Personally, on the 6 or 7 items I've got from the states, I was never knowingly charged any duties above a dollar.
(The packages had customs stickers on them, they were either marked as value of $1 or as a gift IIRC)

TMM said:
Do not have anything shipped into Canada via UPS because not only will you definitely get hit with duties/taxies but also because UPS charges something like a $35.00 - $45.00 brokerage fee to collect those duties on your behalf. Stick with the postal system, because even if you do end up paying, the collection fee is only $5.00. I have also noticed that anything sent to my workplace never gets assessed PST, only GST.

I can back this up entirely. I was once charge a $35 duty and brokerage fee by UPS for a $50 item!! Avoid UPS AT ALL COSTS whenever possible.

Always ask the shipper to use the regular US Postal Service when available. (However, this may not always be possible if if the item is rather large or in excess of 50 lbs.)

I have found that when most items arrive via the postal service, you can usually expect just a $ 5.00 "customs/brokerage" fee as noted, along with 6% GST being charged on the declared value of the item after converting to Canadian dollars.

I have purchased over 100 items from the US and have only once incurred duty fees. The fees were reimbursed back to me because (gift) was on the shipping slip.  I had to go after Canada customs and they were very oblidging.These items were purchased from ebay. Hope this helps.

Klc said:
For Ebay, if sent by airmail, its completely up to the seller.

It is *NOT* up to the seller; it is solely up to customs. Once you a package goes out of the seller's hands they have no control on any duties or taxes that might be levied.

Thanks folks for all your help, its gives me a better idea what to expect.

TMM said:
It is *NOT* up to the seller; it is solely up to customs. Once you a package goes out of the seller's hands they have no control on any duties or taxes that might be levied.

It was my understanding that the seller declares the value and nature of the package, therefore the amounts of duties and taxes charged. This is how I have received several packages worth over 100 USD and never been taxed over ~ $2 IIRC.

Obviously, the sellers had not been honest with customs. So the packages I have received may be the exception to the rule.
Regardless, It is "Solely up to customs" if the seller is an honest person. In my experience none have been.

I may have been lucky.

You're correct in that the seller declares the value and nature of the shipment, but that is no guarantee of whether or not it will be charged, or how much. I've had to pay on gift items more than once, and it would have cost me more in time to dispute.

I have had way too much experience with eBay, ask my wife as I have been banned by her from buying....hehehe if she only knew...

Customs will nail you for whatever the heck they want.  It will be up to the receiver (You) to pay for it.  If you refuse, then you are out of what you paid for the item.  Unless you want to dispute it with the seller, in which case customs is always the responsibilty of the buyer "UNLESS STATED IN THE AUCTION"  get what it means??

Want to play with cross border buying, then you must gamble with the whim of the border.  Unless you have an established broker t hat can help you.

dileas

tess

Back