• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ED Tech questions

Squeek3018

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I posted this in the French forums but I'll ask this here since it's the official forums. Sorry for the poor grammar, i'm not 100% bilingual.

Anyway, i've got questions regarding the 642 trade. With school and work taking all my time, I don't really have the oppurtinity to go to the recruiting office.

I'm 20 from québec city and currently in college studying to become a construction electrician.  I've always been interested with the army
so i'm pretty sure i'll make the move when i'll get my diploma.  I'm a person who likes building stuff or I get bored.  I really like the electrical trade so
why not join the army and choose the 642 trade.  This brings me to all my questions :D  :

- With my diploma, can I skip some parts of the ql3 course?
- When my training will be done, I will be assigned to what kind of unit? The engineers? is it the same as the combat engineers?
- I would like to stay in québec for the first few years beacause i'm not 100% bilingual and my girlfriend is still in school, is there any ED techs in Valcartier or in the surroundings?
- What is a typical day for an Ed tech on base? Is there alot to do? What to we do when they are downtimes?
- Is there moments in is career that the ED tech can be asked to do stuff that combat trades do or they ONLY work as electricians?
- While on missions, do they only install and maintain the current base or can they be asked to go work on projects outside the base?
- I'll have my diploma next may, will there be alot of oppenings for that trade? If not, is it possible to join another trade like the combat engineers and be on stand by to swith to the
other trade when there's a spot vacant?

Thanks alot for your time!  :salute:

I'll answer what I can.

Squeek3018 said:
Hi, I posted this in the French forums but I'll ask this here since it's the official forums. Sorry for the poor grammar, i'm not 100% bilingual.

Anyway, i've got questions regarding the 642 trade. With school and work taking all my time, I don't really have the oppurtinity to go to the recruiting office.

I'm 20 from québec city and currently in college studying to become a construction electrician.  I've always been interested with the army
so i'm pretty sure i'll make the move when i'll get my diploma.  I'm a person who likes building stuff or I get bored.  I really like the electrical trade so
why not join the army and choose the 642 trade.  This brings me to all my questions :D  :

- When my training will be done, I will be assigned to what kind of unit? The engineers? is it the same as the combat engineers?
You can be assigned to 1 of the 3 Combat Engineer Regiments or to 4 ESR or to any of the Air Field Engineer Flights located across the country
- I would like to stay in québec for the first few years beacause i'm not 100% bilingual and my girlfriend is still in school, is there any ED techs in Valcartier or in the surroundings?
There might be position with 5 RGC
- What is a typical day for an Ed tech on base? Is there alot to do? What to we do when they are downtimes?
- Is there moments in is career that the ED tech can be asked to do stuff that combat trades do or they ONLY work as electricians?
- While on missions, do they only install and maintain the current base or can they be asked to go work on projects outside the base?
- I'll have my diploma next may, will there be alot of oppenings for that trade? If not, is it possible to join another trade like the combat engineers and be on stand by to swith to the
It's one or the other unless you want to VT out of one trade to the other.

Thanks alot for your time!  :salute:

Hope this helps.

I'm an ED Tech Supervisor...I can help.

Yes you can any many do it, you will be assessed and parts of the course will be written off. You will work either at the school in holding troop or do OJE with 4 ESR in Gagetownbetween packages, You will require to do the High Voltage package, fire alarm etc.

You can be posted to several different types of units. AEF's (Airfield Engineering Flight)is on airforce bases, NCT's (naval Construction Troop) on Navy bases or to an ACT (Area Construction Troop) on army base attached to the CER's.You will not be a combat engineer.

There are two main locations for ED Techs in Quebec, Valcartier and Baggotville. If you get to pick during the course I would suggest Baggotville as the Airforce bases have the best training value and you do not get bogged down doing army training, out of trade and off the tools.But, it may be a great opportunity to learn english by getting posted to a "English Base" most of my ED Tech's here in Comox.BC are franco and doing very well.

On most bases you will be doing projects like building buildings, renovations to offices etc. Design or assisting other trades while waiting for the elctrical to be installed. Helping with drywall so you can finish your installation etc. Cross training. We are very busy and depoloyed quite often. If we do not have much to do we will send you on courses or to the base electrical shop for more OJE with ticketed civilians.

Like any unit we are soldiers first but on the most part we do construction mainly.

I have been deployed to every deployed camp that Canada has including Kandahar, Golan Hieghts and Egypt. We work within the camps and on the Forward operating Bases. We also provide desaster relief like the ice storms, floods, earthquakes etc.

We are very short handed right now and the school is running both anglo and franco courses quite regularly. If you have the courses, you can ask the recruiter to enrole you as an ED Tech and if there is no courses slated for the meantime, ask to get temp posted to one of the units as OJE before taking your course, after recruit training. You may also be eligible for a money incentive for prior learning within our trade which you will not get if you go Combat Engineer. If Electrician is what you want, then go with it and do not go Combat Engineer hoping to change trades as this will take a very long a drawn out process and you may not be able to do it.

You can contact me directly through a PM and I will give you my email addy and we can talk. ED Tech Supervisor MOC 00302
If you go to the ED Tech website through the recruiting site, that is my picture, the fat bald guy with the glasses. LOL

"You may also be eligible for a money incentive for prior learning within our trade "Please explain?????

Sometimes CFRC deems that some people can receive a signing bonus if they are qualified in that trade IE: ED tech or ATIS Tech or other tech trades. But as some people are finding out if you were trained by the CF (reservist) you are not eligible for the signing bonus.

If you are fully red seal interprovincial qualified with a ticket. Yoy may recieve 20,000$ (taxed to death) split half before your 3's and half after 5's. If you have other quals but not yet ticketed, you may recieve up to 10,000$.

Only and I repeat ONLY if the said trade is understrengthed at the time of enrollment.

If this statement is not correct, please relay the Canforgen cause I got screwed!!!!!!!!!

Perry said:
Sometimes CFRC deems that some people can receive a signing bonus if they are qualified in that trade IE: ED tech or ATIS Tech or other tech trades. But as some people are finding out if you were trained by the CF (reservist) you are not eligible for the signing bonus.

Just to let you know, ATIS trade no longer has a signing bonus.  They did away with that in 04.  I just missed the boat on that one, however did receive my Cpl's after graduation from BMQ.  So all was not lost.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I need a favour from any of you gods of voltage. I basically need some advice regarding a house I may be buying, and the state of it's current electrics. Being a lowly thumperhead I am deathly afraid of electricity (seen a couple of blue sparks in my time doing some impromptu sparky work, swore to never touch it again) If anyone can help could you please PM me? Thanks again, sorry for the thread hijack and CHIMO!!!

Back