• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Edmonton Man Accused of Wife's Murder is Ex- Military

G-Man: very touching. I almost feel like listening to you. Nah, I'll go with my gut.

Al

Yes thank you bringing us back to earth with your poignancy now f off and lets march this thing to the edge of the ditch.

G-Man said:
I am going to play the Devil's Advocate in this post, I feel it is necessary to do this. :salute:
... 1) I would suggest that we wait until the court and a jury have convicted him of these crimes before we begin to state how the death penalty is too good for him.   ...

Agreed ... BUT if he is convicted then I stand by my original statement.

Shadowhawk said:
Agreed ... BUT if he is convicted then I stand by my original statement.

I'll agree to that.  Although I think I would add shoving burning bamboo spears under his finger nails.  Be a nice touch.  ;D

The latest fromt he Canadian Press;

Bail granted for Edmonton man accused of killing pregnant wife

EDMONTON (CP) - An Edmonton man accused of killing his pregnant wife has won a bid for bail while he waits for his trial.

Michael White had asked to be released from the Edmonton Remand Centre so he could see his young daughter and work to pay some bills. The judge's reasons for granting the application are under a publication ban. The 28-year-old heavy duty mechanic faces charges of second-degree murder and offering an indignity to a dead body.

He was charged in the summer after he helped lead a volunteer search party to the body of his wife, Liana, lying in a ditch northwest of Edmonton.

A preliminary hearing is set for March to determine if there is sufficient evidence to send White to trial.

Copyright © 2005 Canadian Press

Copyright 2005 © Yahoo! Inc. All rights
reserved.​

dileas

tess

Think he bolts? I have a sneaking suspicion of cowardice. It'll be interesting to see what comes of this. It's maddening that this guys gets out on bail, christ if I was in the clink for something stupid like selling dope I'd make quite a noise about this. Murderers (or suspected, excuse my PC ignorant ass) get bail, drug dealers no go....hmmmm

Sadly any murder and the taking on one's life in such a situation happens all to often these days, and this case does echo the California case which even made the news down here. What does his occupation have to do with it all?

You are absolutely right. What job he did in the past, unless it is directly related to what happened, has no bearing on what happened, IMHO. I have to go with my guy and say I think he did it too. Way too many coincidences and inconsistencies. The guy just looks way to guilty. Maybe I'm wrong, but my gut tells me otherwise too.  :-\

My heart goes out to the daughter, and both families.  :-[

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/MediaNews/2006/10/27/2145995-cp.html

EDMONTON (CP) - Canada's largest organization of journalists has criticized Edmonton police for executing a search warrant on a city radio reporter's files during a high-profile murder investigation.

"Don't try to turn journalists into cops," Paul Schneidereit, an editorial writer at the Halifax Herald and president of the Canadian Association of Journalists, said Friday.
Schneidereit was referring to the execution of a search warrant Oct. 18 in the newsroom at CHED radio against reporter Byron Christopher, who has been following the Michael White murder case.

The warrant covered Christopher's written notes, recordings, scripts and computer files on the case.
Station manager Doug Rutherford said some of the material was not on-site. But police left the newsroom with available copies and recordings of all stories that CHED had broadcast.
No files, raw tape, notes or confidential material were taken.

"We couldn't provide what we didn't have," said Rutherford. "I hope this is as far as (the police) would like to go."
Christopher had conducted several exclusive interviews with White and had uncovered other pieces of information.
White is accused of second-degree murder in the death of his pregnant wife in July 2005. Her body was found in a rural area about a week after she had been reported missing by her husband.

Jury selection is to begin Monday. The trial is scheduled to start Wednesday.
Schneidereit said police shouldn't assume they can help themselves to information gathered during a reporter's investigation.
Confidential sources are less likely to talk to reporters if they fear their comments will be handed over to police, Schneidereit said. That harms a reporter's ability to uncover information in the public interest.

An Edmonton police spokesman declined comment as the White case is before the courts.
Several recent cases - including this week's judgment tossing out RCMP warrants used to search Ottawa Citizen reporter Juliet O'Neill's home - have acknowledged the need for media to be seen to be independent from police, said Schneiderheit.

"Journalists have an important role in our society, and if you're going to interfere with that role, you'd better have a damned good reason."

I'm wondering what the reasoning for the police search was. As this case is now before the court for trial, all pertinent evidence would have had to been disclosed. Methinks there may be a bit of shenanigans in the works here, but that is just my opinion.

The trial has begun.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2006/11/08/jury-white.html

Allan Luomala said:
When I first heard about this case, I would like to say I didn't prejudge him, and blame him for the murder within the time it takes for one to say "Sure!!!!" when someone offers you a free, cold beer....... But I did..... Sounded a little too close to the Scott Peterson case to me. And when people said "But who would be stupid enough to do the same thing that Peterson did so close to the trial, and think they could get away with it????" have obviously never met him.

If, by some twist of fate, he is actually innocent of this crime, and you are reading this Mike, I would like my fookin watch back, you thievin' half-man.

Al

I know that we're not supposed to talk about cases before the courts, but living in Edmonton and following the story in the papers closely, my reaction was:
"...!!!, !?!,  :threat: :mad: ::)"
This is a case where the phrase "bring the guilty bastard in" can be used literally, not sarcastically.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Law/2006/11/02/2209258-cp.html

Murder suspect Michael White 'felt dirty' the day wife vanished: mom-in-law

EDMONTON (CP) - The mother-in-law of an Edmonton man accused of killing his pregnant wife says he complained several times of feeling dirty in the hours immediately after his wife's disappearance.

Maureen Kelly is testifying at the second-degree murder trial of Michael White, a 29-year-old mechanic originally from Mar, Ont. White's 29-year-old wife, Liana, originally from Kelowna, B.C., vanished on July 12, 2005, and was found five days later, stabbed to death in a ditch north of Edmonton.

Kelly says that on the day Liana disappeared, her son-in-law told her several times that he felt dirty and needed to shower, and he eventually did that.
When she inadvertently walked in on him in the bathroom, she saw him shaving his head clean as well.

Kelly says that after he was arrested, White told her by phone that he was innocent and that his lawyer had advised that the police case against him was a combination of lies and circumstantial evidence.

Just in case it was not caught he was found guilty.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2006/12/07/jury-white.html

Even if he got life, the damage is done to that family- You always hear in cases like this- how ''He will have to live with this on his conscience, for the rest of his life'' Is that enough?

I hope they rip him up in prison.

Devlin said:
Mark C well said, shame our lawmakers don't see things this way. Some would say a bullet is too good for these types. I would argue that a few well strategically placed rounds  >:D might be better than one in the back of the head.
I agree....also believe in an eye for an eye.    I saw an episode of Oprah (bear with me guys!) last week where a husband set his wife on fire from the waist up!  That poor woman,  Oprah interviewed her on the show.  What she has to go through on a daily basis to keep her skin clean and moisturized and to keep her arms mobile!  That SOB should also be set on fire long enough to bear the same pain she will have to bear for the rest of her life.  While remaining in prison I might add!    :cheers:

Back