• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Edmonton Thread- Merged

C

c4th

I'm moving to Edmonton this summer.  Where are good places for a family to live within 10KM of the Base?

Is the north-east OK?  It was pretty shabby 25 years ago. 

10 km is pretty close.  If you were willing to branch out a bit, Fort Saskatchewan, Gibbons, Legal, Morinville and St Albert are all nice communities.  That said, the city has expanded northwards a whole lot since 1980.  A fairly new shopping complex, Namao Centre is just a couple of clicks down the road.  Are you looking to rent or buy?

Hey there,

I am in NE Edm and it's not bad.  Getting more services and bigger stores in the area.  Although having the police helicopter buzzin around the sky all night does get on the nerves...  There are decent homes just south of the base around castle downs.

Dylan 

Looking to buy.  Preferably a mid-80's house or newer, or something older in nice shape.

Police Helicopters flying around all night in the NE?  Seriously?  How's the NW? 

I've thought about St Albert too. 

I'm in Ontario now and hate it.  I am looking forward to heading west again!

I used to live in castle downs, very nice area, lots of things close and not far from the base. Clareview used to nice as well, I haven't been there in a couple of years so it's a tiny bit dated.

The police helo is all over the city....sometimes I think it roams just for roaming sakes. 

Depending on what you are willing to fork over St. Albert is an extremly nice place to live.  Pricey at times, but a good community.  NE and NW have their nice older areas as well, and some very nice newer areas.  If you haven't been here in a few years, you would be surprised at how much the NE has been built up East of 97th. 

Personally, working on the base, I'ld rather live N of 153 Ave and between 127 and 82 Street.  Lots of newer areas in there as well as some with a few years on them.  I've only been here since '97 and I've seen a lot of growth in that time, can't imagine the difference since you were here!

Dylan

I may have screwed myself here.  Being new to the posted world I went and sold my house.  Anyway to get off of restricted posting I need a place for my family to go.  My time appreciation is this:

Report to BN 4 July;
House closes 29 July;
earliest PMQ mid-august;
best case in buying a house after waiting for a HHT: Mid-August.

I have two questions: What's the rental market in North Edmonton like?  Does everyone else think I'm screwed too?

My family still lives in Edmonton, apparantely the rental situation is good and the cost is considerably cheaper than that of Ontario! You can check it out at http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmontonjournal/index.html

Looks ok. 

If I get a rental, should I expect problems with getting off restricted posting and getting my F&E moved and my closing costs reimbursed?

Cheers,

What is a rough street address or boundaries of CFB Edmonton?

http://maps.edmonton.ca/ That will give you just about anything you want to know about the city grid! Just click on enter and then you can pan N/E/S/W and it also shows you the neighbourhood areas etc. I don't know about the restricted posting stuff, maybe someone else can help with that!

c4th said:
Looks ok. 

If I get a rental, should I expect problems with getting off restricted posting and getting my F&E moved and my closing costs reimbursed?

Cheers,

Generally, all moves within Canada are restricted.  The restriction is lifted once your have obtained suitable accomodation for your family (rental or purchase is immaterial).

Take an earlier poster's advice and look around at the small towns in the area - Morinville, Fort Saskatchewan etc.

Good luck on your move.

If you end up in a Q in Lancaster Park, let me know and I will walk over and say HI.

Tom

Does anyone have any opinions/experience on renting one of old q's at Griesbach for a few months?

Never rented their but I work on the site.  It is a construction area (mainly on the west side) but you may be annoyed with the sound of machinery.  Secondly, you will be living with a transient population so you may have trouble with your neighbours.  Third it is located close to downtown so it may be convient for you.

Cheers!

TCBF said:
If you end up in a Q in Lancaster Park, let me know and I will walk over and say HI.

Tom

Hi were being posted to Edmonton in August....can you tell me if they still have Q's available there..as the house thing is not looking good...we haven't sold our place in Halifax yet...so i'm just opening my options.....

If you own a house now, I would recommend buying in Edmonton.  Your taxes will go down in AB, so factor that in.  PMQ: You would have to apply to get an idea of availability, I think. Things may have changed - best to ask at your end.

Back