• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Egypt has AA on their new Mistrals

Don't understand what you guys are on about.

Been there! Done that!

For Gulf War I, Canada acquired some Javelin man portable AA missiles, trained some soldiers to use them (switched them from Blowpipes to javelins) and they deployed a small team one each of the three ships of the CTF that deployed for supplementary AA defence.

What's the big deal?

The defensive suite was the main issue I had with them, but as shown that can be dealt with. I would add 2-4 25mm guns for close in anti-boat defense and some chaff and anti missile defenses.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Don't understand what you guys are on about.

Been there! Done that!

For Gulf War I, Canada acquired some Javelin man portable AA missiles, trained some soldiers to use them (switched them from Blowpipes to javelins) and they deployed a small team one each of the three ships of the CTF that deployed for supplementary AA defence.

What's the big deal?

The "big deal" was that the "fit" was an electro-magnetic compatibility (EMC) nightmare. There was a long convoluted procedure in place to shut down this, retune that, and sacrifice a goat and three doves before firing up one of the Army missiles ... thank all the gods there was never any need.

E.R. Campbell said:
The "big deal" was that the "fit" was an electro-magnetic compatibility (EMC) nightmare. There was a long convoluted procedure in place to shut down this, retune that, and sacrifice a goat and three doves before firing up one of the Army missiles ... thank all the gods there was never any need.

Are you speaking about the Javelin fit on Canadian ships? IIRC, there were some early concerns, but in practice, EMC was not a big deal. The bigger deal was allowing people to routinely stand/operate in parts of the ship that were in close proximity to emitters. That was the hard part.

I was wondering what the Egyptian Navy needed with Alcoholics Anonymous on board their ships..long week.

MM

Back