• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Emailing/Phoning a Recruiter? Help please

TJ97

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a 17 year old highschool student in the Kitchener-Waterloo area of Southern Ontario. I'm originally from Edmonton, Alberta but moved here last summer. I have questions about paid education and the general application process, but I don't live close to a full time recruiting office. The one in KW is part time, and says:

B COMPANY, THE ROYAL HIGHLAND FUSILIERS OF CANADA
350 East Ave.
Kitchener, Ontario
N2H 1Z6

Business Hours:
Thursdays 7:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.

That is for the Army Reserve Units (part-time) and I'd want to join full time, but I'm unable to go to the full-time office for Regular Forces in Hamilton. I also have phone access limited to after 7:00 pm on weekdays and whenever on weekends- which, of course, Hamilton is closed and the KW one is open.

If I want to join full-time (after I complete my bachelors, but during the time I do my masters) do I NEED to get in contact with the Hamilton office, or would the KW one be just fine? And if I need to go to the Hamilton office would I be able to ask my questions over an email because I don't have phone access the times they are open? There is no email listed on the forces.ca website for either KW or Hamilton.

If I decide I am able to physically visit the KW or Hamilton office (both unlikely but possible), do I need to phone ahead to make an appointment if I am just asking questions, or is it on a walk-in basis?

Thank you :)

Also... as a recruiter, what kind of things do you think are "stupid questions" ? I've tried to do my research and I think I've got a good basic understand of what to expect but some things I'm either completely missing or I'm really unable to find them online.

Good day TJ97,

There have been many questions asked on this form regarding the paid education programs. If after searching through previously asked questions and viewing the paid education information on our website, you still have a question that has not been answered then you can ask it on this thread and a qualified recruiter will respond to your question.

There are no stupid Questions. 

Thank you Master Corporal Steven! :)

My main question/concern however is which recruitment office do I get in contact with and how can I do that without going to the actual office because other than the paid education question I have I also have quite a few more regarding medical and one question I previously asked on here regarding push-ups but I didn't get very helpful answers (which I'm fine with, maybe I didn't ask it right).

If anyone could help me in regards to this (I found it searching the site):

Dirt Digger said:
Be aware though that when it comes to the Express test, you have to perform to the CF standard.  If you can't pull off the required amount (for your sex/age group) without your wrist collapsing, you need to apply for a "modified push-up protocol" to CFPSA.

You'll need a Memo that makes the request, a MO's substantiation and the approval of your CO.  (Just got mine back a few months ago...now permitted "knuckles/closed fists push-ups".)
(http://army.ca/forums/threads/13145.225.html)

I have a somewhat messed up thumb that works fine, except when I need to have my hand flat on a flat surface, like for push-ups. Before I thought I would need to do closed fist push-ups but then I didn't know if that was allowed because it implies something is wrong with your hands, etc. So I left alone for awhile and am back again. I attempted planks and I found out I can actually lay my hand flat on the ground BUT my thumb isn't out like the other fingers and other thumb on my left hand, but it's tucked under/into my hand. It's not uncomfortable at all I can't even feel it there and 9/10 fingers are where they should be for normal push-ups so I don't know if I'm over thinking this or if that one thumb/finger makes a difference.

How would I apply for a "modified push-up protocol" if necessary? Would I need to ask for a form? Gosh this is confusing.

I'm getting surgery on it to fix it (not an injury, a birth defect that was made worse by a surgery) late summer/early fall of this year, and when it works I will one day be able to do push-ups normally, but that'll be awhile which is another reason I want to do my bachelor before applying for the military. It'll give me time get my body into shape, and let me do the year or more of Physical Therapy so my thumb won't do this again.

Good day TJ97,

Thank you for your interest in the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF).

During the application process, our recruiting medical personnel will assess your medical situation. A complete medical examination is necessary when assessing medical fitness for the CAF. This is also important when restrictions may limit the career choices being considered.

If you have specific medical questions you should contact the recruiting centre nearest you and ask to speak with a member of the medical staff directly.

When you input your postal code the search will bring up the information for the closest recruiting center to you.

http://www.forces.ca/en/centres/findarecruiter-110

Sincerely,

Canadian Armed Forces Recruiting

Back