• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Emergency Medical Response Team (EMRT)

nsmedicman

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with any EMRTs from within the RCMP? I know that there is at least one in BC, but are they utilized anywhere else? What is involved in becoming a member of one?

I've spoken to some of them in BC.

They run an in-house program, about 100 hours or so from what I gathered, it sounds like EMR with an ITLS skill set for the most part.  I recall it's all serving RCMP members, sort of like a PCF course.

EMRT has different levels. The basic level replaced St Johns FA as our manditory standard of training.

We  are now required to recertify every three years with the EMRT. In BC we have week long Block training at the PRTC in Chwk. We do all of our manditories at this time (PARE, OC, Carotid, PHA, Firearms, Use of Force.....DRILL)  everyone does the on line EMRT portion prior and then a practical session while you are there. I've heard some really good things about the FA training they are putting on...none of it staged, instead real life - " oh shit examples".

There are higher levels of EMRT for people working in medic roles within some of our specialized units, I believe that it's a two week course. FWIW the RCMP member that developed the course is a fromer CF SAR Tech.

Noneck

NSmedicman-

It would only make sense to employ EHS Paramedics in this role, rather than train a cop to be a semi proficient medic.....but the powers that be don't think that way! If I get hurt, I want a pro working on me, not someone who practices twice a year. This is not meant to cut them down, but merely to indicate that you can't be as proficient as a full time Paramedic...just look at the firefighters!!!! ;D

Maybe some of the local Muni specialized units role that way...I honestly don't know. There was a post on here a while back about Metro TO Tac Med units.

Noneck

NoNeck, along with several other specialty squads, BC Amb is planning to stand up a TEMS unit in the lower mainland.  I was approached by clinical tng before I left town about a TCCC provider course.  Whether the PDs will utilize it remains to be seen, and what the team will be composed of is very much up in the air.

I've heard some genuine horror stories of our cars driving right into VPD or RCMP ERT ops due to lousy comms.  If we can avoid that, we'll already be a step ahead.

PMT

No doubt PMTech, my neighbour was the driving force behind the PFA channel here in the LMD, he is a Chief with BCAS...PR you may know him?

He has been a big prponent of TEMS for quite some time, and I believe he had taken some US courses on the subject. You may want to touch base with him, if you don't know his initials then PM me and i'll give you his name.

Noneck

noneck said:
NSmedicman-

It would only make sense to employ EHS Paramedics in this role, rather than train a cop to be a semi proficient medic.....but the powers that be don't think that way! If I get hurt, I want a pro working on me, not someone who practices twice a year. This is not meant to cut them down, but merely to indicate that you can't be as proficient as a full time Paramedic...just look at the firefighters!!!! ;D

Maybe some of the local Muni specialized units role that way...I honestly don't know. There was a post on here a while back about Metro TO Tac Med units.

Noneck

I hear you. In BC, the standard for the Muni Dept's medics is St. John Ambulance,  OFA level 3.  Sounds like the mounties have put some good training together though.

I haven't done the Block Training yet, but one of the guys i work with was on the second serial. He was talking about the Tac Med scenarios (self aid, buddy aid then med aid) and said that they were teaching the use of  CAT's and even discussed  HEMCON and Quickclot. I guess they are teaching responses to the worst case type of scenarios. If this is inded true then we are way ahead of the curve!

Noneck

For someone wanting to become a RCMP police medic, it used to be that you had to be part of the tactical troop or ERT team, they're now opening up the EMRT level 2 course to almost anyone, might have something to do with the olympics. I've also heard that there is a EMRT 3 (IVs and other BTLS/PHTLS training items) in the works, but that it will only be open to former military medics or licensed paramedics who are now RCMP members.

All that being said, i carry my own trauma gear, I'd rather work on myself than let some of the paramedics I've seen out there work on me.

medic_1 said:
All that being said, i carry my own trauma gear, I'd rather work on myself than let some of the paramedics I've seen out there work on me.

Funny you should say that, because I would rather have someone who does it all the time work on me, rather then me, who only do it part-time or once in awhile, and is NOT clinically current work on myself. But hey, that's just me, and I hate it when I'm leaking.

Speaking of which though, the program withregards to BCAS Tactical Paramedics look rather interesting and intriguing, I don't know when it'll happen, or what kinda training they'll receive tactically, but should be fun.

medic_1 please PM me your info, I've got some kit you might be interested in  ;D

Anyone know of any other divisions besides BC that has an active EMRT within the RCMP?

Well I know that EMTR  Lv. 1 and 2 were created by a company here in BC. Don't know if this program's been adopted at all, or if each Div does their own.

Apparently there is going to be a TEMS unit stood to in Vancouver for the 2010 games.  I know for sure that here in the BCAS our CBRNE team has been very busy working with the RCMP and VPD on a bunch of clan lab stuff.  I see this as being a key future endeavour in addition to possible TEMS support. 

Back