• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Employment plan?

Shrek1985

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I am a Coy signaller and my CSM ha asked me to come up with an employment plan for myself to make sure I am usefully emlpoyed on training nights. Right now I just attach myself to a platoon and train with them.

I have a pretty good idea what I need t be doing;

1. servicing radios (need a PL sig or GD to help test)
2. makeup/sup training for the WDM course I am teaching on.
3. Pers Admin

But I strongly suspect there is some propper format he wants this in and he will expect me to just know what it is. Is there some official format for this?

If not, I'm just going to do a training calendar since that seems the simplest, most effective means to me.

The only format I've seen that lists the responsibilities of a Coy Sig(Reg Force Infantry Battalion - Sig Op Cpl/MCpl) is Section 1 of a PDR.  I spent a couple years as a Coy Signaller,  and that is the only "official" list I know of,  everything else I picked up through my hand over with the prior Coy Sig and what I learned through experience. 

-Skeletor- said:
The only format I've seen that lists the responsibilities of a Coy Sig(Reg Force Infantry Battalion - Sig Op Cpl/MCpl) is Section 1 of a PDR.  I spent a couple years as a Coy Signaller,  and that is the only "official" list I know of,  everything else I picked up through my hand over with the prior Coy Sig and what I learned through experience.

I know what's expected of me. Up until now they have had me submitting training plans. It's finally become clear that this is not practicable. Now I need to find a way to keep busy on comms-ish stuff.

fraserdw said:
So I guess this would be a self employment plan?

Yeah, pretty much. I'm getting the feeling there is no official format for this, correct?

Shrek1985 said:
2. makeup/sup training for the WDM course I am teaching on.

What is WDM? 

Shrek1985 said:
I know what's expected of me. Up until now they have had me submitting training plans. It's finally become clear that this is not practicable. Now I need to find a way to keep busy on comms-ish stuff.

Yeah, pretty much. I'm getting the feeling there is no official format for this, correct?

There is no Coy Sig "keep busy/employment" official format,  when I was in the role(Reg Force) the CoC didn't want to know what I was up to day to day,  they trusted me and knew I was capable of doing what had to be done.  Not to say they didn't check in from time to time to see what I was up to, and see if I wanted some GDs, etc  Or pass on info about an upcoming ex.

You know what you have to do,  just inform your CSM of what you will be doing verbally and write up a schedule - if you can find a electronic copy of a calender just write in what you will do each night,  or a spreadsheet, etc   

Asking for clarification of what the CSM wants to see would be an idea as well. 

-Ensure the Platoon Signallers are good to go,  ie they know their comms gear, reports and returns,  Platoon Radios are good, etc
-Ensure Coy HQ Radio(s) are good
-Ensure you know your reports and returns - maybe make an reports and return cheat sheet(of common reports/returns, ie contact, sitrep, 9 Liner, etc) - I did one up for my coy and made enough for the Coy HQ, Pl HQ and 3-4 per section.
-If there is time in the training night do a comms refresher(not just for the Platoon Sigs but everyone)
-Pers admin(for you and your subordinates if any)
-Take part in unit training - keep embedding with a platoon when you can and train with them if Coy HQ isn't training
-Take care of the Coy HQ requirments when applicable,  ie if Coy HQ requires maps for an exercise take care of it
-If you have vehicles(with comms) take care of them along with the Pl Sigs
-Do you have a system to track Coy radios, crypto devices? ie a spreadsheet,  loan cards/red ledger, etc
-Have 1902s filled out by pers
-Be the Coy Comms SME,  advise Coy HQ of sigs requirements, etc

1. Weapons Det Member, the new name for the DP2A couse, such as it is.

2. I meant in general; defining what you are going to be doing so your superiors know and can kee track of you.

What are 1902s?

sounds like calendar it is.

1902 is the comsec brief form,  anyone who handles/is issued a radio, crypto, etc is supposed to sign it.  It describes your responsibilities while you hold that equipment,  etc

A calender saying what you will be doing each parade night will probably be the way to go,    more then enough things you can do each night as the Coy Sig to fill it up.

Grow a set and tell the CSM to stop micro-managing you.  >:D

Or, alternatively, you could simply ask him what format he wants it in?

Towards_the_gap said:
Grow a set and tell the CSM to stop micro-managing you.  >:D

Or, alternatively, you could simply ask him what format he wants it in?

HAhahahaha! Then after I pull the 10ft whip out of my ass and pickup my new Pte Rank tabs after the insubordination charge, I'll finally be an appropriate rank for the job. I'll tell you what, you give it a shot with your CSM and tell me how it works out, and then give me pointers on technique, eh?

Hold it, hold it! My sarcasm alarm is going off, never mind.

Seriously, I came within a whisker of getting charged last time I complained about anything to do with my job, I can just picture what would happen if I told the CSM how to manage me, again!

No, thanks, I'll do it calendar-style and revise it how he wants me to until he's happy with it.
-Skeletor- said:
1902 is the comsec brief form,  anyone who handles/is issued a radio, crypto, etc is supposed to sign it.  It describes your responsibilities while you hold that equipment,  etc

A calender saying what you will be doing each parade night will probably be the way to go,    more then enough things you can do each night as the Coy Sig to fill it up.

Funny, I've never seen one of those, not even on my basic comms course.

The main issue is that I need a GD or pl signaller to help me with my main task; testing all the radio parts. I swear you can have one bad headset in 50 and it keeps coming back like a bad penny.

Shrek1985 said:
Funny, I've never seen one of those, not even on my basic comms course.

Yea,  it isn't something I remember us covering on the Basic Comms courses we ran for the battalion,  but then again the Infantry aren't the ones taking care of that stuff(Sigs admin); at least in the Reg Force.  In a Infantry Battalion someone clearing in will sign the 1902 as part of in clearance.  The crypto custodian(at least in the units I've been in) manage them and will inform the Coy Signaller when members in their Coy will need to resign their 1902 as they are supposed to be signed once a year - I believe that is what it is.

Do you guys have a Signaller(Sig Op/ACISS) in 4RCR? 

Shrek1985 said:
The main issue is that I need a GD or pl signaller to help me with my main task; testing all the radio parts.

IMO you should be able to get the Platoon Sigs once a month and spend a night doing comms refresher and kit testing(especially prior to a Ex).  You should be able to approach the CSM about that or at least ask the Pl WO if you can borrow them for a while.

Shrek1985 said:
I swear you can have one bad headset in 50 and it keeps coming back like a bad penny.

Are you filling out N/S tags and attaching them to the kit?  Are they being sent to a Sigs unit(such as ASG Sigs) so their techs can have a look at them to either repair or dispose?

I was only kinda being sarcastic. He should have more important things to worry about than making you fill out useless calendars. IMO, as long as you don't lose crypto, the kit is accounted for, and what is broke is reported, you SHOULD be with the rifle platoons training. You are infantry and not a scaley, right? You should be worrying about your core business, which is soldiering, not fart-assing around with paperwork.

I regularly tell people to stop micromanaging me, but I can think of one reason why I get away with it.

-Skeletor- said:
Yea,  it isn't something I remember us covering on the Basic Comms courses we ran for the battalion,  but then again the Infantry aren't the ones taking care of that stuff(Sigs admin); at least in the Reg Force.  In a Infantry Battalion someone clearing in will sign the 1902 as part of in clearance.  The crypto custodian(at least in the units I've been in) manage them and will inform the Coy Signaller when members in their Coy will need to resign their 1902 as they are supposed to be signed once a year - I believe that is what it is.

Do you guys have a Signaller(Sig Op/ACISS) in 4RCR? 

IMO you should be able to get the Platoon Sigs once a month and spend a night doing comms refresher and kit testing(especially prior to a Ex).  You should be able to approach the CSM about that or at least ask the Pl WO if you can borrow them for a while.

Are you filling out N/S tags and attaching them to the kit?  Are they being sent to a Sigs unit(such as ASG Sigs) so their techs can have a look at them to either repair or dispose?

No, we do not have a Sig op. I am told I am doing a job normally done by a signals Sergeant  ::). I have rather more respect for the trade than to take that at face value.

Last year my job was creating a training plan; I predicted and was vindicated that due to the nature and tempo of our training; PLs could not spare a signaller to come do signaller things on a thursday night. The difficulty I forsee is that this is an employment plan for me and me alone, in spirit.

Whenever I am involved I make sure NS tags get used. When I walk away for ten seconds, bad headsets are getting tossed right back in with good. I KNOW that sometimes items work with one set and not with another, but yet they keep coming up.

Towards_the_gap said:
I was only kinda being sarcastic. He should have more important things to worry about than making you fill out useless calendars. IMO, as long as you don't lose crypto, the kit is accounted for, and what is broke is reported, you SHOULD be with the rifle platoons training. You are infantry and not a scaley, right? You should be worrying about your core business, which is soldiering, not fart-assing around with paperwork.

I regularly tell people to stop micromanaging me, but I can think of one reason why I get away with it.

You are in well-populated company feeling that. I regularly meet with comrades from other units on taskings and they are shocked that this is my lot in life.

I've been attaching myself to different PLs to get training, but I guess someone noticed it and here we are.

Shrek1985 said:
No, we do not have a Sig op. I am told I am doing a job normally done by a signals Sergeant  ::). I have rather more respect for the trade than to take that at face value.

Yea a Coy Signaller position is not a Sgt position; it's a MCpl position that can be filled by a senior Cpl.  For tour it becomes 1x MCpl and 2x Cpls.

Shrek1985 said:
Last year my job was creating a training plan; I predicted and was vindicated that due to the nature and tempo of our training; PLs could not spare a signaller to come do signaller things on a thursday night. The difficulty I forsee is that this is an employment plan for me and me alone, in spirit.

I'm sure if the right people get involved you can get the Pl Sigs occasionally,  good luck with that.  Depending on money in the unit and availability maybe all the Coy and Pl Sigs could come in on another night to do the Sigs stuff.

Shrek1985 said:
Whenever I am involved I make sure NS tags get used. When I walk away for ten seconds, bad headsets are getting tossed right back in with good. I KNOW that sometimes items work with one set and not with another, but yet they keep coming up.

After you tag the items where are they put?  To CQ? RQ?  Tagged items shouldn't be sent back into rotation for issue.

Back