• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enrollment / Swearing In Ceremony [MERGED]

bcbarman - you should come talk to some of my kids at the high school.  Excellent post.

I didn't own any nice clothes and certainly did not have the money to buy some.

Look at me now, all grown up and a WO..............

CDN Aviator said:
I didn't own any nice clothes and certainly did not have the money to buy some.

Look at me now, all grown up and a WO..............

All grown up? :rofl:

I wore a blue suit that would have been top notch back in 67 when my father bought it. No doubt the recruiter must have thought...at least he tried! I had a navy issued white dress shirt in under which the recruiter asked if I had family in the navy. No ma'am just picked this up at the value store.

I still got that suit here...I'm sure I couldn't squeeze into it today.

I have done hiring in both the CF as a recruiter and in the civvy world as a manager, and the mantra is true. You dress for the job you want.

bcbarman - you should come talk to some of my kids at the high school.  Excellent post.

Some colleges prepare candidates on how to dress for Oral Boards.

ObedientiaZelum said:
I respect your opinion as a recruiter but I just can't see someone wearing a tie and jacket being an indicator of their work ethic.  I've seen complete scumbags in a court room wear a suit to try and portray a good image.  Now I'd agree looking like a dirtball isn't going to win you any favors by any stretch of the imagination but I think you're examples aren't really fact based.

Fine, but attention to detail is an indicator of work ethic, but so is everything else in a person's presentation. 

When you meet someone for the first time, it takes about 30 seconds to make an assessment of them.  Dirty clothes scream SLOB faster then expensive clothes.  How about trendy clothes?? you look like you just came from the Jersey shore, I am going to call you Guido and expect an IQ to match.  This assessment of them is made long before they open their mouth to talk. Why? Because you see someone before you talk to them.

My opinion is made.  Now that person has to disprove my opinion of them.  It is a lot harder to make me change my mind then it is to put on inexpensive, clean and presentable clothes then try to talk me out of my impression of them.

Lets not even get started on speech patterns, word overusage (um, like, and) excessive profanity.

The proliferation of these type of threads scares the bejesus right out of me.

My point being that the CFAT is a "test".  If you score in the 99th percentile, you are likely to get your pick of the top MOSIDs available.  Score in the bottom 5%, even if you were personally clothed by Harry Rosen himself, you won't.  'Nuff said.

CombatDoc said:
My point being that the CFAT is a "test".  If you score in the 99th percentile, you are likely to get your pick of the top MOSIDs available.  Score in the bottom 5%, even if you were personally clothed by Harry Rosen himself, you won't.  'Nuff said.

Dres like Abe Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.

Or Kate Beckinsdale.  >:D

:deadhorse: whoa nelly, lay right there girl..

The TEST is administered by the computer

The INTERVIEW is conducted by a live, breathing, mostly awake, pretty well trained Military Career councilor.  The MCC is more then likely sitting in his/her well pressed, clean uniform.  The MCC probably has a short/put up hairstyle, using proper language and themselves are a graduate of one of the leadership training centers of the Canadian Forces. 

Quite often, if an applicant is successful, they will be INTERVIEWED the same day by the MCC. 

If the best the applicant can do is count to potato, well sunshine, they could wear an old pickle barrel and it would not make a lick of difference, but if said applicant want to INCREASE your odds of being selected to be an member of the Canadian Forces, look in the mirror.

And that is all I am going to say about that.

:edit-spelling, damn these graveyard shifts

bcbarman said:
:deadhorse: whoa nelly, lay right there girl..

The TEST is administered by the computer

The INTERVIEW is conducted by a live, breathing, mostly awake, pretty well trained Military Career councilor.  The MCC is more then likely sitting in his/her well pressed, clean uniform.  The MCC probably has a short/put up hairstyle, using proper language and themselves are a graduate of one of the leadership training centers of the Canadian Forces. 

Quite often, if an applicant is successful, they will be INTERVIEWED the same day by the MCC. 

If the best the applicant can do is count to potato, well sunshine, they could wear an old pickle barrel and it would not make a lick of difference, but if said applicant want to INCREASE your odds of being selected to be an member of the Canadian Forces, look in the mirror.

And that is all I am going to say about that.

:edit-spelling, damn these graveyard shifts

Its not a full interview, its so you passed/failed, here are your options.  You also go over the Non-prescription Drug Questionaire.  Trust me, I have seen plent of people come in jeans and t-shirt for the CFAT, they eventually got selected.

(why do I feel like I am feeding trools here????)

ATTENTION ALL APPLICANTS!!! due to the Canadian Forces becoming an employer of choice, there are fewer and fewer spots open every day. 

In order to be COMPETITIVE, it is recommeded that you put your best foot forward at all times. 

The person that looks and acts professional and behaves in the manner fitting a member of the Canadian Forces will stand a BETTER chance of being selected then a person who does not.

Will the guy with the Bib overalls and trucker hat get selected to join the lower rubber boot regiment???  I dont know, but I do know that he will have to prove himself in other ways to be competitive.

Dressing professional is easy points. I'm not that much of a superstar that I am not going to take easy points.  Why bench one of your best defencemen if you don't have to?

bcbarman said:
The person that looks and acts professional and behaves in the manner fitting a member of the Canadian Forces will stand a BETTER chance of being selected then a person who does not.

You're a recruiter right ?

With some of the garbage i have seen get in over the last few years, you guys need to review the way you asses applicants. You let in quite a bit of well-dressed douchetards.

bcbarman said:
(why do I feel like I am feeding trools here????)

ATTENTION ALL APPLICANTS!!! due to the Canadian Forces becoming an employer of choice, there are fewer and fewer spots open every day. 

In order to be COMPETITIVE, it is recommeded that you put your best foot forward at all times. 

Will the guy with the Bib overalls and trucker hat get selected to join the lower rubber boot regiment???  I dont know, but I do know that he will have to prove himself in other ways to be competitive.

Dressing professional is easy points. I'm not that much of a superstar that I am not going to take easy points.  Why bench one of your best defencemen if you don't have to?

What's a trool?  And I work in recruiting.

Back