• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enrollment with scars [Merged]

Yes, they are for ID purposes, but can also say something about a person's physical and or mental health over the years.  I've had people try to make light of very major surgical scars during their enrollment medicals - the "nothing really" turns into "well I had this and that removed"...first enrollment medical I did, fellow had a trauma laparotomy done for a vehicle crash and told me it was nothing really, and eventually admitted to having body bits removed.  Like Dr House says, everybody lies.  People also like to hide scars from self harm - again, something that's pretty important to know about as it's a sign of mental health issues.  Hence the first words out of my mouth were essentially "what are yout trying to hide?".

MM

My issue is that I had the physical and they were already overlooked.

I'd feel kinda stupid going in just to point them out.

trauma laparotomy? isn't that something to do with the ab area? I had my apendix rupture 2 years ago had it removed ofcourse big scar, but glad that "body bit" is gone, worst pain I have ever felt!!!!! but Iam sure once the  doctor see's it he will know exactly what the scar is from, and feel great to this day!

Yes - a big zipper from chest to pubic bone, and he had a bit more than the appendix out.

MM

medicineman said:
Yes, they are for ID purposes, but can also say something about a person's physical and or mental health over the years.  I've had people try to make light of very major surgical scars during their enrollment medicals - the "nothing really" turns into "well I had this and that removed"...first enrollment medical I did, fellow had a trauma laparotomy done for a vehicle crash and told me it was nothing really, and eventually admitted to having body bits removed.  Like Dr House says, everybody lies.  People also like to hide scars from self harm - again, something that's pretty important to know about as it's a sign of mental health issues.  Hence the first words out of my mouth were essentially "what are yout trying to hide?".

MM

True. To be honest was nervous to touch on that.

medicineman said:
Yes - a big zipper from chest to pubic bone, and he had a bit more than the appendix out.

MM

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Robbie4296 said:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

"Nahhh thats nothing Doc check out my corning wear cheek bones" haha

Well I guess I'll go put my RP on Stress leave declaring my vasectomy scar, and my sunkist tatoo. >:D

McD said:
Ugh theres an area by  the Saddledome that makes be want to barf still.

As for scars nothing you can do. I never thought of the mild stretch marks on my shoulders from lifting in college and they were seen. I think , anyone correct me, they are for ID purposes. Now if you had "HATE" carved into you or a symbol of the such, Im sure it would raise further investigation. Much like tattoos would, no?

All in all the medical staff will see them and note it. Talking to them will likely get you the answers you seek. Just be forthcoming and honest. Good Luck

Yes, honesty is the best policy, nothing to hide here, all work related, no work claims though proving it but Iam sure it wont get that far, and if it does, well I might have to just explain the "real" work ethic's of working in a slaughterhouse "IF YOUR NOT CUT TO THE BONE, STAY OFF THE PHONE" the meaning of this is, suck it up and band-aid it and if it's deeper, thats what Krazy glue is for LOL, and vodka in your locker!

Robbie4296 said:
Yes, honesty is the best policy, nothing to hide here, all work related, no work claims though proving it but Iam sure it wont get that far, and if it does, well I might have to just explain the "real" work ethic's of working in a slaughterhouse "IF YOUR NOT CUT TO THE BONE, STAY OFF THE PHONE" the meaning of this is, suck it up and band-aid it and if it's deeper, thats what Krazy glue is for LOL, and vodka in your locker!

"If you're not bleeding, you aren't working?" :)
It's very warm in the kill room with all the fresh blood. Even though the chill room is cold, the workers are cutting so fast some of them are sweating. I think the vodka in the locker may have been because LCBO refused to issue a liquor licence anywhere near the Junction Stockyards. 
Do you remember New York Pork on St. Clair, Robbie?
http://www.blogto.com/city/2009/12/the_charred_remains_of_the_new_york_pork_slaughterhouse/
This was the aftermath of the fire at New York Pork. Viewer discretion advised:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigdaddyhame/sets/72157594369883444/show/

Most have now moved out of town, but the one at Niagara St. is still there. I worked just around the corner from it.:
"Condo residents face foul smell from slaughterhouse":
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/toronto/archive/2008/07/02/condo-residents-face-foul-smell-from-slaughterhouse.aspx

Regarding worker safety. I think the companies and unions did the best they could. It just happens to be a difficult and dangerous industry. I knew guys who used to work there, they said it was a good job. But, times have changed:
"Work in a slaughterhouse has changed enormously in the last 25 years. It's always been a difficult job. It's always been a dangerous job. But up until recently, this was a job that had good pay, had good benefits, and you had a very stable work force. In the early 1970s, meatpacking had one of the lowest turnover rates of any industrial job in America. It was like being an autoworker.
Then they cut wages, they cut benefits, broke unions. And now it has one of the highest turnover rates of any industrial job.
The people who are working in these plants should be well trained and well paid, and it should be a stable work force. I think that would have a big impact on the safety of the food we eat."

Thats an eye opener to me as I just figured that it would have to be a well paid job to keep people in it. Nothing glamorous about it at all.

Do I ever remember NY pork worked there for maybe 5 hrs, heard rumours the were almost bankrupt 5 times, that was before the fire I think, I believe it was right on the corner and where they brought in the hogs was right up next to peoples back yards, odd place, but that whole area was processing central!! But yes t-shirts in the kill floor and long blue cooler coats on the boning line, and don't forget the bump caps hahaha.
Yes your right fairly decent job at Quality Meat Packers, union IBEW 175/633 spent 2 years their, actually my employee I.D. was 4296 pretty odd I still use it.
I will check out those links.

My friend, I have many scars on my arm, most of which ARE self-inflicted. It's an unfortunate consequence of past circumstances, all during my teen years, most of which I had no control over (or clear memory of. Read my personal story, Hell and Back, for a better understanding). I was completely honest and up-front with the medic, and they continued with the process. Oddly enough, however, I recieved a letter from the RMO stating that due to a childhood ADHD diagnosis, I was unfit. Of course, I'm fighting it and doing my damnedest to prove that I'm a suitable candidate for enrollment. My past is where it belongs, behind me. The only shame in falling down, is not getting back up. When I fell, I had no one to catch me, and I hit pretty effing hard. But, 7 years later, I'm still here, I'm doing better than anyone could've ever imagined, and I will continue fighting tooth and nail to start my career/new life. It's really not an issue in my mind, and if anything, I'd like to think that it shows character, devotion, and resolve to be that honest, not only with the medic, but myself as well.

Any thoughts?

Just from my side of the picture, self-inflicted scars may not keep you out of the forces either.  But, they probably will ask you some extra questions, perhaps even send you for a psych evaluation -- they did for me.  It was easy.  They saw the scars, asked what they were about, I told them the truth, they asked me for my past medical records, and an evaluation.  They discovered that my past issues have been dealt with, and here I am, 4 years in.  Mind you, my scars were already 10 years old when I joined, so I have my doubts on what would happen if someone showed up with armfuls of fresh ones. 

Point of this story?  Don't lie about stuff like this.  If you're healthy enough, mentally and physically, you'll get in.  If not, well, maybe you still have some work to do before you can try again.  It took me a few years and a lot of work to get myself into a 'happy place', but I made it, and I'm so, so happy I chose the CF.  Honestly, best decision I ever made.

Any questions can be directed to me by PM.  I'm not proud of every part of my past, but I'm pretty open about it, as far as stuff like this goes, so feel free.

**edited for clarity and my crappy spelling.  ;D

Sparkplugs said:
Mind you, my scars were already 10 years old when I joined

Really? Mine are only 8 years old... looks like I might have to wait another 2 years if my application ends up being anything like yours. At least I'll be enlisted in time to see the world end ;D

10 year or 8 year old scars, I don't think it matters how old.
They don't really care about them as long as it's no longer and issue.
(unless you carved HATE or DEATH into your arms and face)

Personally my arms have seen better days, the scars are only about a year and a half old and I've been accepted into the Canadian military.

So when they said they're finding you unfit because of your ADHD diagnosis, it's probably just that. Don't over think it.
Just concentrate on the fighting the ADHD unfit status and forget about the scars.

Good luck Sapplicant.

Hello,

First and foremost, I want to say that these scars are not from cutting myself or from depression. I had some acne on my back during my teenage years and I picked on them which later left scars/black spots. They aren't really noticeable unless you are really close to me.

Moreover, I have some small circular-like scars on both arms, and on my upper thighs. This is from allergies for when I was taking medication because of my tooth hurting.

I did go through a depression phase, but that was because I didn't know what I wanted to do after high school and all these scars/blackspots on my body. They were also on my face because I also had acne on my face, which I picked on. I want to add that I was 17-18 at this time.

I have already taken initiative on my scars/blackspots on my face by taking medications from a dermatologist and planning on laser medications later on this year.

My question is will I be disqualified because of these self-inflicted scars?

These scars were not inflicted because of depression or a hatred to myself, but more so of stupidity and itchiness.

Thanks!

MB

Back