• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ex Soldier Evicted While Waiting For Pension and Benifits

Thucydides said:
And if a vet (like my wife) isn't being paid, or is authorized to go back to school after a seven month merry-go round of calls (and after the course has been closed to new applicants) but no one gets reprimanded, fired or forced to make up the difference out of their pension account then they have no reason whatsoever to change, and won't. Even forcing them to go back to quill pens and parchment forms isn't going to fix things unless incentives and accountability change.

So will the SOP be "immediately go to the media" once the mbr is retired and is faced with this?  It'd work for the first few, but the MSM/public will stop caring soon afterwards.

Dimsum said:
So will the SOP be "immediately go to the media" once the mbr is retired and is faced with this?  It'd work for the first few, but the MSM/public will stop caring soon afterwards.

Exactly. Change the incentives and the accountability and then you will see long term changes.

Some very insightful comments here on a very concerning, and sadly all too common IMHO, story.

Dimsum said:

There is no use, there's no real traction to pull in advertisement dollars. Maybe to toss a bone to a young Jimmy Olson, but there's no retail value to it.

Dimsum said:

Actually, this was an interesting bump for me because I went to the media when this happened to me two years ago and I was in month 8 of no benefits or pension.  I know of at least two others who did, none of us got a bite out of the media.  So seeing this story originally last month was a WTF moment for me.  Mind you, cancer survivor, kicked out for physical, and female likely checked a lot of media story idea boxes!

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the obvious answer to me on this would be to file a lawsuit against the appropriate governmental department. Because of the government's wilful neglect, someone who should have been in receipt of an earned pension lost their home and likely incurred considerable expense as a result. The government's actions caused harm to a person. Damages in such a case ought to be pretty straightforward. I don't know why in the hell we tolerate something from DND or the government in general that would be manifestly unacceptable from any other employer.

Brihard said:
Maybe I'm missing something here, but the obvious answer to me on this would be to file a lawsuit against the appropriate governmental department. Because of the government's wilful neglect, someone who should have been in receipt of an earned pension lost their home and likely incurred considerable expense as a result. The government's actions caused harm to a person. Damages in such a case ought to be pretty straightforward. I don't know why in the hell we tolerate something from DND or the government in general that would be manifestly unacceptable from any other employer.

You are not missing anything but suing the government is a costly thing.  Their lawyers are paid full time whether they actually do anything or not and they got a lot of them stacked up waiting to run you over in court.  Hers would quickly drain any settlement she got.  We tolerate because we are subjects not citizens.  In effect, we 35 million training aids for the elite few who govern or hold power in the branches of government. 

We used to own six inches of soil under us but don't you dare move that soil without a permit.  We are nothing to them beyond revenues sources.

Lightguns said:
You are not missing anything but suing the government is a costly thing.  Their lawyers are paid full time whether they actually do anything or not and they got a lot of them stacked up waiting to run you over in court.  Hers would quickly drain any settlement she got.  We tolerate because we are subjects not citizens.  In effect, we 35 million training aids for the elite few who govern or hold power in the branches of government. 

We used to own six inches of soil under us but don't you dare move that soil without a permit.  We are nothing to them beyond revenues sources.

Oh, believe me, I know- I'm on the wrong end of a BS lawsuit, that fortunately because my actions were on duty and in good faith (and my video camera saves me from the word of 6 against just me), the Department of Justice has appointed a crown lawyer to defend me. I can assure you that those lawyers are never idle, they're working pretty hard, and the whels of justice turn slowly.

I recognize that a lawsuit can be a costly pursuit, but there are likely firms such as Drapeau that would take such matters on on a contingency basis, and would try to get the lawyer's costs built into a settlement  decision. This particular issue could even potentially be a class action.

Back