• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Extended BMQ?

ps387

Inactive
Reaction score
I was told during my interview last week that the BMQ course is being extended. I haven't been able to locate any information to this effect. I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about this?

Specifically,
1. When will the longer BMQ come into effect?
2. What is being changed/where will the extra time be devoted?
3. Is the new course 12 weeks or 13 weeks? (I've heard both.)

Thanks in advance for any input you may be able to provide.

:cdn:

I've heard 12 weeks, they ran a test course when i was in bmq. Its 2 extra weeks of ambush training, 1 week classroom, 1 week in the field I think.  Not sure when it starts tho.

My friend recently completed his BMQ and he said that sometime in the next year or so they will be increasing it to around 12 weeks.

The information I've been hearing is that they are making BMQ and SQ into one course and it will run for 12 weeks in St-Jean for Reg Force.

I hope it's not true that BMQ and SQ are being combined into a 12 week course, they're just denying future members of proper training. Is it possible to cover all the material in a program that is 8 weeks shorter then what it is now?

This is the first I've heard of this.
I have to call my recruiting officer tomorrow, I shall try to get some information out of him for all of you tomorrow, and I will post it here.
Cheers,
Morgs

Thanks Morgs. Hopefully it's BMQ being extended not shortened and combined with SQ. Hey, I noticed in your profile that you're going to Basic on April 5th, when did you find out? I'm still waiting for my call, I think I'll call them again in a week or two.

I got the call last Wednesday. I have to go back in on the 16th to fill in a lot of paperwork and also to get sworn in.
I am going back over to England to visit the family from the 28th to the 14th, so I have to call and sort out alternate contact plans as they are meant to contact me by the 4th. As I said, hopefully the recruiter will be able to shed some light on this topic.

What are you going in for? How long have you been waiting for?

Cheers,
Morgan

I'm going for infantry, and second choice is armoured. I started the whole application process back in July. I'm getting impatient now since it's so close to the end of the application process, I can taste it. I figure I'll get a call by May considering my Med. File was sent to Borden mid Jan., maybe earlier if things go well.
Hopefully you get things straightened out with Recruiting in regards to your paperwork before you leave for England. From my experience they've been very accommodating when it comes to your personal schedule.
What about you, how long has it taken you? Do you know where you're going to be posted?

The rumours I've been hearing is that the BMQ will be combined with the big stuff from the SQ course into the new 12 week course, namely because the elements are realizing that all soldiers should have a good grip on the soldier skills the SQ teaches.

The same people I've been talking to and who have told me some bits and pieces of what they heard said that the combat arms will still do a full SQ course since it applies to them much more than it would say a clerk or supply tech.

Is any of this true? Who knows, it's just another product from the rumour factory. But really, it would make sense to teach some good parts from SQ to every new member and give the full on SQ course to those that would directly use it.

I spoke to my recruiting officer today and they "didn't have any information on that subject." So who know what that means.

noreaga808 said:
I'm going for infantry, and second choice is armoured. I started the whole application process back in July. I'm getting impatient now since it's so close to the end of the application process, I can taste it. I figure I'll get a call by May considering my Med. File was sent to Borden mid Jan., maybe earlier if things go well.
Hopefully you get things straightened out with Recruiting in regards to your paperwork before you leave for England. From my experience they've been very accommodating when it comes to your personal schedule.
What about you, how long has it taken you? Do you know where you're going to be posted?

I hope you get your call soon, by the sounds of it, you shouldn't have too much longer to wait... but you never know eh? hehe.

Thankfully CFRC Toronto were very accommodating about me going back over to Engand, so thats not a problem. just gave them some contact information and that was the end of that.

I've been thinking for a while about where I would like to be posted, ultimately I'll go where they send me, but I'm hoping to into the RCD. Both the RCD and LdSH, have very interesting histories and it would be an privilege to serve with either, but I kinda want to stay here in the east for a little while longer. Thats probably a lame reason, but meh.

Cheers,
Morgs

bump.....

Just wondering if there is any new info on this topic.

The information I've been hearing is that they are making BMQ and SQ into one course and it will run for 12 weeks in St-Jean for Reg Force.

I sure hope not.  That would make the Regs just 4 weeks  more than the Reserve courses...

From what I've heard they are bringing elements of SQ into BMQ, but they won't be doing away with SQ in any regard. As I said, this is just rumour so any concrete info is appreciated.

I was an instructor at the school from 2002 to last month, The trials for the extended BMQ are still ongoing and should be in effect sometime after the summer. (About the SQ being incorporated) I know that they are talking about adding some of the support weapons but as far as the field training I'm not sure. I spent my last year in the weapons cell.

Hope this may be of some help.

I got my call yesterday and the recruiter told me that my BMQ training will start on April 26th and will run until July 30th. I did the math after I got off the phone and that makes 14 wks total. Unless he made a mistake and meant June 30th, then I would assume that SQ would follow directly after BMQ for another 2 weeks.

Bojangles

Back