• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF)

• Thread starter Thread starter Sharpey
  • Start date Start date
CDN Aviator said:
The opposition will do exactly that : Oppose.

And it is called Question Period, not Answer Period.

Funny the Opposition and the Staples types never mention the vastly increased capabilities the F-35 brings to the RCAF beyond the limited Air-to-Air, Air-to-Ground that the CF-18 or any of the other potential  "4+" aircraft offers.

The F-35's  ISR & EW capabilities will provide the RCAF with a whole new non kinetic operational  capability.

Brihard said:
<shrug> I'm gonna stick with my long held opinion- we should have tendered it. In an ideal world we'd have the money to buy this much plane, but we don't. We don't need the new off the lot Cadillac when there are 4.5 or 4.75 gen fighters out there that will satisfy Canada's requirements as well or nearly as well without emphasizing capabilities we don't realistically need, and without reducing the number of airframes we get due to exorbitant price. I'd love to see us have some, don't get me wrong, but the opportunity cost seems too high.

Heartily agree

Haletown said:
or . . .  this + the Canada sponsored meeting of foreign buyers looks more like the pre negotiating prepare the ground moves.

The intended audience is LochMart.  Sending them some messages, putting them on notice.
We'll see....

Brihard said:
<shrug> I'm gonna stick with my long held opinion- we should have tendered it. In an ideal world we'd have the money to buy this much plane, but we don't. We don't need the new off the lot Cadillac when there are 4.5 or 4.75 gen fighters out there that will satisfy Canada's requirements as well or nearly as well without emphasizing capabilities we don't realistically need, and without reducing the number of airframes we get due to exorbitant price. I'd love to see us have some, don't get me wrong, but the opportunity cost seems too high.
Yup

Brihard said:

Interesting post, so I'll only ask two questions:

What exactly are the capabilities which we don't realistically need, and why is it that we don't need them?

Well said.  100% agree here.

F-35's  ISR & EW capabilities will provide the RCAF with a whole new non kinetic operational  capability.

Is this the best platform for ISR and EW?  I think recent conflicts have proven that UAV and retrofitted civil aircraft (ie. King Air) can complete these tasks considerably better at drastically reduced cost so not sure that ISR and EW are the best selling points for the F-35.  To acquire more Gen 4+ aircraft at reduced cost still makes more sense to me.  At the very least, it is worth serious consideration.
HH

WingsofFury said:
Interesting post, so I'll only ask two questions:

What exactly are the capabilities which we don't realistically need, and why is it that we don't need them?

I cannot profess expertise, so recognize my words as those of a layman and as a concerned taxpayer. And I'm not saying that capabilities are completely unneeded, but that the desirability of some capabilities is outweighed by the dual concerns of other capabilities of higher importance, and the detrimental effect on the total fleet of buying a smaller number of highly technological planes that are likely overkill for much of what we do.

The first and foremost one is that I don't see the need for what is, in effect, a 'first strike' aircraft designed to penetrate air defense. Nice capability to have? Shit yet. But it's coming at the cost of more airframes that would in any realistic context likely be just as effective at the more realistic tasks our jets will face- defending our airspace as part of NORAD in combination with ground based radar and AWACS, and providing support to either coalition tactical bombing operations or close air support of our own troops in permissive airspace that the Americans have already swept clean.

Absolutely it's a tradeoff to give up the advantage of cutting edge stealth, but the cost of being able to be in the first wave of an attack that has to penetrate air defense seems to me to not be worth fewer aircraft that don't really excel in any one thing in particular.

The acquisition of F-35 touts interoperability with other air forces, and in that signs its own condemnation- we will realistically not be working without the Americans in any operation where the need to suppress air defense and win an air war is there, and so why pretend we'll ever be in a position to do it as well as they can? Better that we can provide our own very credible contribution to other tasks- the opportunity cost of a cutting adge aircraft is damned high, and only getting higher. There are other airframes out there that have what it is we're looking for, and the electronic guts can be developed to bring them up to snuff in areas where the F-35 has them beat currently.

HeavyHooker said:

Is this the best platform for ISR and EW?  I think recent conflicts have proven that UAV and retrofitted civil aircraft (ie. King Air) can complete these tasks considerably better at drastically reduced cost so not sure that ISR and EW are the best selling points for the F-35.  To acquire more Gen 4+ aircraft at reduced cost still makes more sense to me.  At the very least, it is worth serious consideration.
HH

+1

Having had some involvement with requirements for some capabilities that fall withing ISR, the utility of the F-35 for those roles is very overstated no matter how hard the sales pitch was.

D3 said:
+1

Having had some involvement with requirements for some capabilities that fall withing ISR, the utility of the F-35 for those roles is very overstated no matter how hard the sales pitch was.

Agree.  Fighters are not good ISR platforms in general.  ISR is best high and slow, not low (or high) and fast.

Dimsum said:
Agree.  Fighters are not good ISR platforms in general. ISR is best high and slow, not low (or high) and fast.
Yep, that SR-71 was abysmal at the high, fast stuff.

Light-hearted mocking aside, a recurring problem with military thinking is the use of acronyms without thinking them through. Spell out "I" "S" and "R" and then argue your case -- threats (most likely/most dangerous), platform, current need, future need, doctrine, training, personnel.....you know, all that stuff.

But I'm just an Army guy  ;)

Journeyman said:
Yep, that SR-71 was abysmal at the high, fast stuff.

The SR-71 was great for getting good, quick snapshots of heavily-contested areas.  It wouldn't be the ideal platform for Pattern of Life stuff, where you'd want something that could hang around for hours (days?) and just see what's going on.

Dimsum said:
It wouldn't be the ideal platform for Pattern of Life stuff, where you'd want something that could hang around for hours (days?) and just see what's going on.
Thank you. It's not great for "surveillance"; it wasn't too shabby for "reconnaissance" -- at the supposed 'strategic-level.'

My point was, if someone blithely says "ISR platform" without thinking what "ISR" means, then it becomes......well, meaningless.

As you can gather, I have heartache with some terminology. We can debate "strategic" if you like, but that's a separate, pedantic thread  ;D

From my perspective, as an EW practitioner, it is not so much tasking the F-35 as a dedicated "ISR aircraft" as much as it is a case of the F-35 being a sensor itself. In the normal course of doing its "fighter" mission, the F-35's system can provide a wealth of information in the realm of EW that has implications beyond the tactical level.

I'm not a fighter guy but it seems to me that the technology in those systems and the F-35 itself are not tied to each other. I doubt that you could not incorporate something like DAS, for example, into a Typhoon or Raffale.

HeavyHooker said:

HH

Since the ISR & EW capabilities  on the F-35 are a closely guarded secret, we don't know for sure.

One thing we do know is there is a better chance of the Buds winning back to back Cups happening before Canada will acquire any dedicated ISR and or EW aircraft. Not going to happen

If we acquire other aircraft  we get a repeat of CF-18 capabilities.  Only the F-35 extends the capabilities envelope.

Makes know sense for Canada to acquire lesser capability aircraft that will be obsolete in a few years - especially if they already cost more.

Haletown said:
One thing we do know is there is a better chance of the Buds winning back to back Cups happening before Canada will acquire any dedicated ISR and or EW aircraft. Not going to happen

Since the terms "ISR" and "EW" are quite broad by definition, Canada does indeed already have one. There is much more to an "EW aircraft" than Wild Weasel or EA-type aircrafts.

Haletown said:
Only the F-35 extends the capabilities envelope.
I've yet to see a logical argument supporting a need for those increased capabilities. What threat are we not currently countering with extant technology or is there some doctrinal gap the CF is missing?

If this is nothing more than technology-driven penis envy, we can't afford to play this game.

Journeyman said:
I've yet to see a logical argument supporting a need for those increased capabilities. What threat are we not currently countering with extant technology or is there some doctrinal gap the CF is missing?

If this is nothing more than technology-driven penis envy, we can't afford to play this game.

Oh yeah ?
"Anyone who questions the F-35 is a troop-hating, Taliban-loving, stupid, commie leftard."
:rage:  ;D

Journeyman said:

The Auditor Generals report on the F-35 buy is due in a few weeks. They'll probably look at the need for those capabilities, they did in the report on the F-18 upgrade.

http://www.oag-bvg.gc.ca/internet/English/parl_oag_200411_03_e_14907.html

Hopefully this time the RCAF came up with a better justification for the numbers required than being "financially reasonable".

Back